Off-Topic Food shortages coming?

Too much land is being used to feed grains to animals and not people leaving a shortage of food other than meat.

A majority of water resources are used for crops and animals. There are water shortages around the world. This will get worse.

The meat industry continues expansion of farms. The expansion is destroying ecological systems that protect us by sustaining our climate and providing oxygen to the earth.

The use of so much land as farms reduces the amount of land available for housing. With populations increasing and available lands decreasing, the results are future housing problems.

You don't need to rely on what I'm saying. Do your own research. I just wanted to share so people become aware of the issues as I was not.
If/when it becomes unsustainable we'll adapt out of necessity - not go extinct as the title of the book suggests. These doom and gloom predictions mimic those of the green-mafia. Overpopulation will become a self-correcting problem.

Advertisement
100%. Been reading about this for years when I started my plant based diet kick. It is a big problem and not sustainable. The amount of years left is the big question. This country over consumes meat.

Back to the original topic, the food storage will definitely be felt at some point here, imo. Between diesel (transportation) prices and grain supply issues in Ukraine (I know ukraine isn't the only country that exports grain, soy, etc. but other countries in the middle east are significanlty reducing exports of the same - that has a cascading effect).
Yah, I tried to spoon feed the info. Too much too soon and the people just won't believe it. I didn't even get I to the other problems of quality or talk about fish.

We've destroyed the ocean with plastic that plankton are eating. Plankton get consumed by other fish on up the food chain so a lot of fish we eat have plastic toxins in them.

Plankton also produce oxygen. So, if they die off we have a whole other problem to deal with.

I grew up in Iowa. I've been a big pork and beef eater most of my life. I tried vegan for a month (before I knew about the meat problems). I had a hard time, so I just try to reduce my meat consumption. I eat a lot more beans and drink a plant based protein shake every day. The shake is a game changer for me as it replaces one of my meals.

Aside from the environmental issues, I'm a lot healthier reducing meat and dairy consumption.

If/when it becomes unsustainable we'll adapt out of necessity - not go extinct as the title of the book suggests. These doom and gloom predictions mimic those of the green-mafia. Overpopulation will become a self-correcting problem.
It already is unsustainable. A lot of the problems being blamed on fossil fuels are also caused by the meat industry with our obsession for meat.

Last edited:
Yah, I tried to spoon feed the info. Too much too soon and the people just won't believe it. I didn't even get I to the other problems of quality or talk about fish.

We've destroyed the ocean with plastic that plankton are eating. Plankton get consumed by other fish on up the food chain so a lot of fish we eat have plastic toxins in them.

Plankton also produce oxygen. So, if they die off we have a whole other problem to deal with.

I grew up in Iowa. I've been a big pork and beef eater most of my life. I tried vegan for a month (before I knew about the meat problems). I had a hard time, so I just try to reduce my meat consumption. I eat a lot more beans and drink a plant based protein shake every day. The shake is a game changer for me as it replaces one of my meals.

Aside from the environmental issues, I'm a lot healthier reducing meat and dairy consumption.

I'm with you and feel the same about eliminating/reducing meat. It's tough to do especially with kids!

As for your last line, 100% agree. Those also happen to be the biggest lobbyers in this country and as you say, the beneficiaries of govt subsidies, sadly.

I'm with you and feel the same about eliminating/reducing meat. It's tough to do especially with kids!

As for your last line, 100% agree. Those also happen to be the biggest lobbyers in this country and as you say, the beneficiaries of govt subsidies, sadly.
That's where we have to start. Ironically, my ex-wife was/is vegetarian. She had my son vegetarian most of his life.

I just reunited with him after not seing him for 5 years (ex from ****) and he is now a big meat eater and gained a lot of weight.

I think the best approach is moderation. If the kids choose to be vegan/vegetarian then it's up to them. If not, they'll at least be a moderate meat consumer having been taught good habits.

Just need to show them healthy habits, but it hard with the McDonald's of the world and burgers are probably the #1 food in the US

Advertisement

This and ocean acidification are winning arguments. For some reason, the environmentalists choose to pursue global warming/climate/change and try to scare everyone into doing what they want. Evolutionary change will last, revolutionary change will be resisted.

100%. Been reading about this for years when I started my plant based diet kick. It is a big problem and not sustainable. The amount of years left is the big question. This country over consumes meat.

Back to the original topic, the food storage will definitely be felt at some point here, imo. Between diesel (transportation) prices and grain supply issues in Ukraine (I know ukraine isn't the only country that exports grain, soy, etc. but other countries in the middle east are significanlty reducing exports of the same - that has a cascading effect).
Stock up on the grains and beans before the prices get out of hand. The nice thing is that grains and beans can be shelved for years.

It already is unsustainable. A lot of the problems being blamed on fossil fuels are also caused by the meat industry with our obsession for meat.
Fossil fuels make those grains possible. I've still not seen evidence on how it's not being sustained... outside of the war on fossil fuels about to cause another food crisis.

Advertisement
This and ocean acidification are winning arguments. For some reason, the environmentalists choose to pursue global warming/climate/change and try to scare everyone into doing what they want. Evolutionary change will last, revolutionary change will be resisted.
Those things are real and perhaps they weren't presented in the best way.

I'm a realist and also analytical so it's easier for me to see big picture. As I said in other posts the film "Eating Our Way to Extinction" was eye opening. It wasn't hypothetical. It showed where we were, where we are, and where we're headed.

After watching the film, I decided to make some changes in my diet. There were also some things I've eaten that I thought were healthy and are not.

I think having a conversation is healthy. At least people can make informed choices.

So ... better off eating "farm-raised" Salmon than the version caught in the wild?

Fossil fuels make those grains possible. I've still not seen evidence on how it's not being sustained... outside of the war on fossil fuels about to cause another food crisis.
Research it for yourself. Find your answers.

Yes, fossil fuels make the grains, but it doesn't end there. You have to keep feeding the animals and then they have to be shipped, processed and shipped again. They also have a limited shelf life once processed.

I'm not telling you what to do or how to eat. I grew up in one of the biggest nest producing states. My parents worked in the meat industry and other family members still do.

Do your own research. Find your answers. I'm not here to sell you or convince you. I'm just sharing knowledge that I learned because I think it's important.

Advertisement
It's not sustainable to have 80% of agriculture as grain feed. Iowa is all soybean and feed corn. Feed corn is not consumed by people. This is not the sweet corn that you buy at the super market. We're talking farms 500-1000 acres. The soy could be human consumption and they may process some of it now, but it was never the intention when I was growing up there. There are over 300,000 soybean farms in the US. 70% of soybeans are for animal feed in the US and 77% of it globally is animal feed.

The film is not some scare tactic. It just presents the facts of our crop and meat production and how it is affecting us.
I do agree with your point about soy. Animals shouldn’t be eating that stuff. Neither should humans. Use that land for something productive instead.

Those things are real and perhaps they weren't presented in the best way.

I'm a realist and also analytical so it's easier for me to see big picture. As I said in other posts the film "Eating Our Way to Extinction" was eye opening. It wasn't hypothetical. It showed where we were, where we are, and where we're headed.

After watching the film, I decided to make some changes in my diet. There were also some things I've eaten that I thought were healthy and are not.

I think having a conversation is healthy. At least people can make informed choices.
I’d like to hear more about fish… I’m assuming has to do with oceanic pollution if I skimmed this thread correctly. I rarely eat fish except on vacation on the beach once a year, so I’m probably relatively safe.

Also I’m probably an avg meat eater… I prefer chicken to steak and probably have it a couple times a week. But even though I don’t like steak I hear the some red meat is good for u. But I’m of the mindset that things in moderation are okay.

I used to listen to this one podcast and there was a dietician/nutritionist that worked with celebs in Hollywood (I think). His name was Vinny tortorich (or something like that). He used to talk about intermittent fasting, using MCT oil and a bunch of stuff I forgot. I don’t follow him much or most of what he said except for the intermittent fasting. I used to eat breakfast cause they told u it’s the most important part of the day…but I was forcing myself. Now I usually have my 1 cup of coffee in the morning and don’t eat until like 11-1 and might only eat 1 big meal or 2 medium sized meals.

Interesting discussion though. Appreciate hearing your thoughts

So ... better off eating "Farm-Raised" Salmon than Wild Salmon?
**** NO!!!

Farm raised fish are the worst. They are still raised in ocean water. They are basically in an ocean cage. Because the fish are so close in proximity, they pass bacteria and diseases much easier. It's a huge problem. To combat this, the fish farms suck the fish thru a tube where chemicals are passed onto them to kill bacteria and remove lice. I saw how they do it and it made me want to puke. These chemicals wind up in the fish. They've been tested and shown to contain toxic chemicals.

Imported farm raised fish is highly UNREGULATED.

I've eaten farm raised salmon and shrimp. I will not eat it ever again.

My advice is stay away from those farm raised fish and shrimp you see offered at much lower price. It ain't worth it IMO!!!

Pay attention to where the fish is sourced. I think wild caught Alaskan salmon and small tuna are still good options.

Large tuna, the albacore that I prefer, is high in mercury. The reason is that the large tuna live a lot longer before harvested so they consume a lot more mercury while the small tuna that are in the cans labeled as "light" have much lower levels. The FDA recommends 1 can of albacore per week because of mercury. I used to eat tuna melts from albacore 3-4 times per week for years!!!

Between plastic, mercury, and chemical use in farm raised fish, I'm limiting my fish consumption to almost zero.

It's sad, but we really have to be informed consumers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
**** NO!!!

Farm raised fish are the worst. They are still raised in ocean water. They are basically in an ocean cage. Because the fish are so close in proximity, they pass bacteria and diseases much easier. It's a huge problem. To combat this, the fish farms suck the fish thru a tube where chemicals are passed onto them to kill bacteria and remove lice. I saw how they do it and it made me want to puke. These chemicals wind up in the fish. They've been tested and shown to contain toxic chemicals.

My advice is stay away from those farm raised fish and shrimp you see offered at much lower price. It ain't worth it IMO!!!
The Nordics do it much better allegedly. But yeah they've co-opted 'sustainable' - a buzzword for gullible Americans.

The Nordics do it much better allegedly. But yeah they've co-opted 'sustainable' - a buzzword for gullible Americans.
Nope!!! They produce 55% of the world's salmon. I think most if not all of it is "farm raised." In the film "Eating Our Way to Extinction, " they were secretly filmed poring chemicals like formaldehyde in the salmon farm water.

Below is a link about formaldehyde use. The article refers to Scotland, but the same practice occurs in Norway.

Nope!!! They produce 55% of the world's salmon. I think most if not all of it is "farm raised." In the film "Eating Our Way to Extinction, " they were secretly filmed poring chemicals like formaldehyde in the salmon farm water.

Below is a link about formaldehyde use. The article refers to Scotland, but the same practice occurs in Norway.
There are many fisheries there, but I'm sure there is a lot of bs into their certifications, just like 'dolphin-safe' tuna bs. More examples of crooks masquerading as environmentalists.

**** NO!!!

I've eaten farm raised salmon and shrimp. I will not eat it ever again.

Pay attention to where the fish is sourced. I think wild caught Alaskan salmon and small tuna are still good options.

Large tuna, the albacore that I prefer, is high in mercury. The reason is that the large tuna live a lot longer before harvested so they consume a lot more mercury while the small tuna that are in the cans labeled as "light" have much lower levels. The FDA recommends 1 can of albacore per week because of mercury. I used to eat tuna melts from albacore 3-4 times per week for years!!!

Between plastic, mercury, and chemical use in farm raised fish, I'm limiting my fish consumption to almost zero.

It's sad, but we really have to be informed consumers.
Thanks for your advice. Will stick to the Alaskan Salmon (when I can find it). Price isn't an issue; it's availability (most salmon in grocery stores is farm-raised).

Any horror stories about chicken I should be aware of?

Advertisement
Back