Off-Topic Food shortages coming?

Thanks for your advice. Will stick to the Alaskan Salmon (when I can find it). Price isn't an issue; it's availability (most salmon in grocery stores is farm-raised).

Any horror stories about chicken I should be aware of?
I don't really have any. Antibiotics is an issue, but I haven't researched it. I'm a bit skeptical of the packages that say "NO ADDED Antibiotics." What does thst even mean? If chickens are fed Antibiotics is that "NOT added"?

Advertisement
**** NO!!!

Farm raised fish are the worst. They are still raised in ocean water. They are basically in an ocean cage. Because the fish are so close in proximity, they pass bacteria and diseases much easier. It's a huge problem. To combat this, the fish farms suck the fish thru a tube where chemicals are passed onto them to kill bacteria and remove lice. I saw how they do it and it made me want to puke. These chemicals wind up in the fish. They've been tested and shown to contain toxic chemicals.

Imported farm raised fish is highly UNREGULATED.

I've eaten farm raised salmon and shrimp. I will not eat it ever again.

My advice is stay away from those farm raised fish and shrimp you see offered at much lower price. It ain't worth it IMO!!!

Pay attention to where the fish is sourced. I think wild caught Alaskan salmon and small tuna are still good options.

Large tuna, the albacore that I prefer, is high in mercury. The reason is that the large tuna live a lot longer before harvested so they consume a lot more mercury while the small tuna that are in the cans labeled as "light" have much lower levels. The FDA recommends 1 can of albacore per week because of mercury. I used to eat tuna melts from albacore 3-4 times per week for years!!!

Between plastic, mercury, and chemical use in farm raised fish, I'm limiting my fish consumption to almost zero.

It's sad, but we really have to be informed consumers.

Agree. Farm raised in problematic. Farm raised salmon also has a lot higher saturated fat, contaminants, and more likely to be impacted by disease. That said, from a value proposition pov and cost, I'd rather eat farm raised salmon than beef and at almost half the cost of wild caught salmon, it's an easy decision for many. At least you're still getting omega3s. I try to avoid shell fish as much as possible and eat fish as much as possible (probably 2-3x per week). I had the same transformation as you when I read the China Study. I know it gets a lot of criticism and while I may not completely agree with some of its conclusions, it's impossible not to reshape your thinking and start opening your eyes.

How 'dirty' is sardine/herring consumption. I eat more of that than any other seafood. Cost effective and provides omega3s.

How 'dirty' is sardine/herring consumption. I eat more of that than any other seafood. Cost effective and provides omega3s.

SArdines are great - don't think you have many issues there. I'm not sure if you have fresh or canned but the taste profile is so much different than canned (obviously) - it was striking to me.

Don't know much about herring.

Advertisement
Agree. Farm raised in problematic. Farm raised salmon also has a lot higher saturated fat, contaminants, and more likely to be impacted by disease. That said, from a value proposition pov and cost, I'd rather eat farm raised salmon than beef and at almost half the cost of wild caught salmon, it's an easy decision for many. At least you're still getting omega3s. I try to avoid shell fish as much as possible and eat fish as much as possible (probably 2-3x per week). I had the same transformation as you when I read the China Study. I know it gets a lot of criticism and while I may not completely agree with some of its conclusions, it's impossible not to reshape your thinking and start opening your eyes.
Because the oceans are so polluted, mercury is a big issue. I like cod, salmon, ahi tuna, etc. Unfortunately, I don't trust a lot of sources and I'll only buy wild caught. If I can't afford it, I just won't eat it.

I just Google the sources from where the fish are coming from. If I see lots of problems, it's probably a good idea to stay away and look elsewhere.

As I've gotten older, I've become more aware of food sources and like to think I'm a better consumer. The older I get, I'm simplying my diet. I hope I can get to 100% plant based, but if I get to 75%, I'll be happy.

It's really not that hard to get to 75% plant based. If I ate 4 meals a day, 3 of them would not have meat or dairy. I eat 2-3 meals a day and one of them is a 100% organic plant based protein shake after my workouts that tastes like a chocolate ice cream shake from your favorite fast food restaurant. I like black beans and pinto beans (refried beans) as good plant protein options.

Happy eating!!!

Because the oceans are so polluted, mercury is a big issue. I like cod, salmon, ahi tuna, etc. Unfortunately, I don't trust a lot of sources and I'll only buy wild caught. If I can't afford it, I just won't eat it.

I just Google the sources from where the fish are coming from. If I see lots of problems, it's probably a good idea to stay away and look elsewhere.

As I've gotten older, I've become more aware of food sources and like to think I'm a better consumer. The older I get, I'm simplying my diet. I hope I can get to 100% plant based, but if I get to 75%, I'll be happy.

It's really not that hard to get to 75% plant based. If I ate 4 meals a day, 3 of them would not have meat or dairy. I eat 2-3 meals a day and one of them is a 100% organic plant based protein shake after my workouts that tastes like a chocolate ice cream shake from your favorite fast food restaurant. I like black beans and pinto beans (refried beans) as good plant protein options.

Happy eating!!!

I've tried and it's challenging (and I love to cook). But, with kids in the house and a wife that skews towards paleo, it can be quite challenging! lol

So I typically make batches of lentils, split pea and then use chick peas, some grains, fruit/veggies, etc. Try as I might, getting OTHERS in the household to eat this way is an uphill battle.

I've tried and it's challenging (and I love to cook). But, with kids in the house and a wife that skews towards paleo, it can be quite challenging! lol

So I typically make batches of lentils, split pea and then use chick peas, some grains, fruit/veggies, etc. Try as I might, getting OTHERS in the household to eat this way is an uphill battle.

So think how hard it would be to have the population adopt this. It just won’t happen. At least not in our lifetimes. Also, humans are naturally omnivorous, but with biological adaptations to be carnivorous for much/most of our diet, throughout our evolution. It’s basic biology. From a health standpoint, sugar is a much bigger culprit than meat, and overeating is the biggest culprit of all, you can be fat as fūck and unhealthy as a vegetarian same as a carnivore.

So think how hard it would be to have the population adopt this. It just won’t happen. At least not in our lifetimes. Also, humans are naturally omnivorous, but with biological adaptations to be carnivorous for much/most of our diet, throughout our evolution. It’s basic biology. From a health standpoint, sugar is a much bigger culprit than meat, and overeating is the biggest culprit of all, you can be fat as fūck and unhealthy as a vegetarian same as a carnivore.

Yes, it is challenging b/c it requires effort, education and unwinding decades of bad habits/culture/etc. Sugar (and our overdependency on it) is absolutely a culprit but as far as the dairy/meat industry goes, they have a lot more of a detrimental ecological footprint on this world (as @Number1CanesFan points out).

And as far as finding a fat vegetarian, I always tell folks - show me a fat vegetarian/vegan/plant based diet person and I'll show you a person who eats poorly.

Advertisement
Yes, it is challenging b/c it requires effort, education and unwinding decades of bad habits/culture/etc. Sugar (and our overdependency on it) is absolutely a culprit but as far as the dairy/meat industry goes, they have a lot more of a detrimental ecological footprint on this world (as @Number1CanesFan points out).

And as far as finding a fat vegetarian, I always tell folks - show me a fat vegetarian/vegan/plant based diet person and I'll show you a person who eats poorly.

Challenging isn’t the word. Nearly impossible is more like it. It’s like legislating morality, it never works.

We can’t even get Americans to eat more healthy, just in general, now you’re going to have them eating tofu and greens?

But people are free to chase their unicorns if they want.

Challenging isn’t the word. Nearly impossible is more like it. It’s like legislating morality, it never works.

We can’t even get Americans to eat more healthy, just in general, now you’re going to have them eating tofu and greens?

Nah, I'm not expecting them to do anything. Never said any of that. I am just like Number says, putting the info out there and encourage folks to take ownership of their health via food and nutrition. Nutrition is one of the most underused aspects of medicine and health, imo, and I know there are folks that couldn't care less about it and that won't change. And for the record, I never eat tofu and don't eat a lot of leafy greens. :)

I concur OCCC ,you just can’t put an AOC type POTUS in and instantly stop all oil and gas dry shaft everyone in the country no lube and expect UMMM FEELS good keep cramming.

We all have to be eased into this , you can’t tell everyone trash you cars and trucks tomorrow and buy expensive vehicles with money we don’t have we’re not like the government just print more .

We haven’t built power plants in many years , imagine in California ever car electric tomorrow the power plants would blackout the whole state.

There worried about brownouts NOW .

This country has to be eased into this green energy.

For right now get our oil and gas going and this country will jumpstart the economy.

If it ain’t broken why fix it , this POTUS from day one condemned us as he smiled signing away and ending the greatest economic powerhouse EVER.

You can’t go into a Ruth Chris steakhouse and bring Kale and roots out to s customer and not tell them plus bill them for steak.

Nah, I'm not expecting them to do anything. Never said any of that. I am just like Number says, putting the info out there and encourage folks to take ownership of their health via food and nutrition. Nutrition is one of the most underused aspects of medicine and health, imo, and I know there are folks that couldn't care less about it and that won't change. And for the record, I never eat tofu and don't eat a lot of leafy greens. :)

Nutritional interventions are under used because it’s difficult for people.

Not for lack of physicians and others preaching about it. Most people are quite aware that they need to cut down their caloric intake, sugar, and so forth.

But most don’t.

One of the major reasons is most people lead a sedentary lifestyle due to current and past technology, and developing technology.

140 years ago, in the 1800s, most people led much more physically active lifestyles. As society has progressed technologically, we have become more sedentary due to the change of the nature of our work, transportation, and a host of other factors such as technological toys. Kids don’t run out and play as much as they used to. You get the picture, you already know all this.

The difference is as we became more sedentary, medical technology improved, and with the development of antibiotics and other medicines, things that we used to die of early, we don’t die of anymore. Diabetes is treatable. Hardly anyone dies of infections anymore. So on and so forth.

So we lead longer lives but with more sedentary lifestyles. If we led the type of active lifestyles people led in the 1800s, but with current medical technologies available, most people would probably live to over 100. Although that may not be a great thing from a socioeconomic/medical standpoint.

People get way more expensive the more they age in terms of medical costs.

Advertisement
Growing up in Iowa I know all about beef and pork. What I didn't know is that nearly 80% of agriculture in the world is spent growing grains for animals. The meat industry controls politicians worldwide. The meat industry gets $38 billion dollars annually in subsidies from the US government (you and me) while fruit and vegetable farmers get $20 million annually.

We are using land, water and grains just to feed animals to eat them. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. However, what we're doing is not sustainable. It's inefficient and wasteful. I'm making a concerted effort to reduce my meat, poultry, and fish(actually 100% NO fish) consumption by 75%.

Plant protein is sustainable. It's a direct line from the ground to the food table. It can be stored for long periods of time.

If you have Amazon Prime, check out "Eating Our Way to Extinction. " it's eye opening.
Amazon product ASIN B09KJ6822F
What you are saying is probably true. Own 125 cows and over 200 head total most of the year. We put up around 1200 rolls of hay, 500 square bales and buy 30 to 40 tons of mixed corn just to feed throughout the year. I can only imagine how much the large feedlots and such use per year.

SArdines are great - don't think you have many issues there. I'm not sure if you have fresh or canned but the taste profile is so much different than canned (obviously) - it was striking to me.

Don't know much about herring.
Only had canned. Never see fresh sardines I don't think.

Nutritional interventions are under used because it’s difficult for people.

Not for lack of physicians and others preaching about it. Most people are quite aware that they need to cut down their caloric intake, sugar, and so forth.

But most don’t.

One of the major reasons is most people lead a sedentary lifestyle due to current and past technology, and developing technology.

140 years ago, in the 1800s, most people led much more physically active lifestyles. As society has progressed technologically, we have become more sedentary due to the change of the nature of our work, transportation, and a host of other factors such as technological toys. Kids don’t run out and play as much as they used to. You get the picture, you already know all this.

The difference is as we became more sedentary, medical technology improved, and with the development of antibiotics and other medicines, things that we used to die of early, we don’t die of anymore. Diabetes is treatable. Hardly anyone dies of infections anymore. So on and so forth.

So we lead longer lives but with more sedentary lifestyles. If we led the type of active lifestyles people led in the 1800s, but with current medical technologies available, most people would probably live to over 100. Although that may not be a great thing from a socioeconomic/medical standpoint.

People get way more expensive the more they age in terms of medical costs.

Obviously physicians know if a person isn't eating well and whose physical makeup is morbidly obese. My argument is that doctors are poorly versed in overall nutrition advice and are much more prone to medicate. Nutrition is woefully understudied in medical school. But I get it, it's more challenging and requires much more effort on the part of the patient. It's like the meme that shows two lines of people - one is a line for "fix your problem with medicine" and the other line is "make lifestyle changes" and you can guess which one had a line and which one didn't.

Only had canned. Never see fresh sardines I don't think.

Not sure where you live but IME, Spanish seafood markets would have it or if you live near the water and have a wharf type of place with fish mongers, etc.

Advertisement
Obviously physicians know if a person isn't eating well and whose physical makeup is morbidly obese. My argument is that doctors are poorly versed in overall nutrition advice and are much more prone to medicate. Nutrition is woefully understudied in medical school. But I get it, it's more challenging and requires much more effort on the part of the patient. It's like the meme that shows two lines of people - one is a line for "fix your problem with medicine" and the other line is "make lifestyle changes" and you can guess which one had a line and which one didn't.

Not sure where you live but IME, Spanish seafood markets would have it or if you live near the water and have a wharf type of place with fish mongers, etc.
Ya know, recipes would be helpful.

What you are saying is probably true. Own 125 cows and over 200 head total most of the year. We put up around 1200 rolls of hay, 500 square bales and buy 30 to 40 tons of mixed corn just to feed throughout the year. I can only imagine how much the large feedlots and such use per year.
Yah, as I said, I grew up in Iowa. I'm very familiar with all sides. I think their needs to be some balance. The world is tilted.

Best wishes with your farm.

When there are two staples of most physicians, bananas and peanut butter, best not to take nutritional advice from them. An apple a day is the best nutritional advice they ever gave lol.

When there are two staples of most physicians, bananas and peanut butter, best not to take nutritional advice from them. An apple a day is the best nutritional advice they ever gave lol.
Stack up on the peanut butter for the upcoming strife! Shelf stable, and packed with calories and protein for its size and cost.

Advertisement
Back