Folks talking about Dan Enos as OC now

Advertisement
Just reading the tea leaves but uga and bama boards are extremely high on Dan Enos fwiw

Those schools recruit at a high enough level to run very pedestrian schemes because they have superior talent. We need to be more innovative and cutting edge as Manny said in his first press conference. Enos is not that so I highly doubt he is the man we hire. If he is, it’s a terrible decision for all involved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Applewhite has wasted talent everywhere he's been and he's not a great recruiter. You're setting yourselves up for failure with this guy. He runs a system we like and Manny wants, and of course he's an upgrade over Richt, but that's about it. He's not a cutting edge OC, he's been consistently mediocre...maybe decent, but not great...and he's not going to win over Miami kids in recruiting. And neither would Enos. The only way you can bring in those guys is if you surround them with ELITE recruiters at the position coach spots.

IMO you want to pick someone that at least does one thing at an otherworldly level. Someone like David Yost, who is a fantastic X's and O's guy and runs the system we want but is not established in recruiting (and would need those types as his position coaches) or the other side of that coin is Tee Martin, who isn't going to win games simply with his scheme, but would blow the doors off of recruiting and Miami would be LOADED with talent on the offensive side of the ball, which would allow us to just overwhelm people with talent.

Applewhite and Enos are in the middle to me. Decent coaches, poor recruiters. If you can't get an A+ guy in both areas (and those guys are VERY rare), let's at least get a A+ guy either schematically or as a recruiter. Enos and Applewhite are not those guys.
I respect your opinion on Applewhite, I just don't share it from what I've seen and read on him. I think Applewhite would give us a spread scheme much like that 2015 Houston team - call that Tom Herman's offense if you want, but Applewhite implemented it and made the playcalls - so he's capable. I do agree that he needs elite recruiters on the offensive staff to help if he's the hire.

Yost is a guy I would love - his system is awesome, and his attitude seems like it would lend well to recruit in SFL...but it's a big jump from Utah St to Miami as well.

Martin is a middle of the road hire to me because I'm very unsure about his system/playcalling, and even if he can recruit at a high level - would we end up back here in 3 years with an offensive system that doesn't work even though we've pulled a good amount of talent on the roster that's just being wasted?

I'd rather get the system guy in the OC chair, and let his assistants pull the weight in recruiting. At least with that arrangement, we're running a system that SFL recruits already want to play in...which has been part of our issue for years, not having an appealing offensive scheme.

417F7F6A-3200-46D2-8442-B4CF421AF064.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Manolo got the media scrambling and looking under every rock for info. I love it!

Especially the south Florida media that's always treated the Canes like sh*t

I watched his offense at Arkansas, they were super explosion, and he ran a lot of 11 personnel stuff. That said, he doesn't play with tempo, and they weren't much of a spread team. He's a good OC in my opinion, but people want like him because they want to run a spread offense.

Advertisement
Back