Florida State (Game 3) 1pm ACCNX

Advertisement
The Webster’s definition of getting your teeth kicked in is your arch rival coming in to your house and outscoring you 34-2 over the weekend series.

I’ve said it from the beginning of the season. If it were only 1-2 guys that have this passive approach at the plate it would be one thing. But it’s the whole team that has this approach like they’re stepping in to the box trying to draw a walk. Lala has to be one of the leaders in walks in the nation by my guesstimation. That’s not how you win a championship. The way we were hitting before this series (2 games vs WF and FAU) is how a college team wins. Not what we’re seeing from these guys right now.

He has to tske the blame. It's his team. I think the fielding and pitching will work itself out, but the hitting bothers me and thathis wheelhouse.
The pitching may improve, but the fielding? Have you always been a UMbaseball fan? We have looked like this defensively for approaching 2 decades

The pitching may improve, but the fielding? Have you always been a UMbaseball fan? We have looked like this defensively for approaching 2 decades

Seriously. Like I said during the game...if a team screws up a basic relay over and over and over, even with months of fall practice, that's just who the team is. That stuff doesn't "work itself out". We don't emphasize defense and it shows.

Advertisement
Safe to say we are out of national seed contention. Probably one maybe 2 bad weekends away from being out of hosting contention. And by bad weekends I mean not sweeping UVA, Duke, Clemson, BC and App. Just winning series against bad teams isn’t good enough anymore. We have no wiggle room.

We are underperforming in every sport. I wonder if it’s a culture problem. UM’s athletic department has made a commitment to mediocrity across the board. That incompetent leprechaun Blake James is leading the way.

Is anyone on this board close enough to the program to logically explain what happened this weekend? I knew there was a chance to lose the series, but to be humiliated the way they were and put up no apparent fight defies logic. It's usually a sign of deeper issues in the locker room. Has Gino lost this team before we're even a third of the way through the season?

Advertisement
I’m not even a fan of baseball fan let a hurricane fan, but seeing these scores across the timeline is embarrassing. Again, I know nothing about baseball, but 12-1,9-1, 12-0 is embarrassing in anything you do.

As much talent as we have, our roster management has become a problem. We don’t have 9 competent hitters/fielders. We have a bunch of guys who can hit and cant field or field and cant hit. It’s magnified now that, Toral, Rivera, and Gil haven’t shown up. Imagine being a top 25 program that doesn’t have a 3rd baseman, so you force a freshman shortstop to play there, who can’t.

Preseason it looked like we had real depth, now it just looks like a bunch of guys who aren’t capable of being everyday guys.

Advertisement
Never would have expected to leave the game in a furious uproar very early on for 3 straight days. But it was plainly obvious that once we got down it was over all three nights. Not really looking forward to the rest of the season and pretty much hate everyone involved with Miami athletics. I hope Paul DiMare is happy.

LIsten I hated the Gino hire but is it ever the players fault. Maybe just maybe these kids are not all that talented. At this stage in their baseball lives you should understand the game well enough what to do in most instances.

Advertisement
LIsten I hated the Gino hire but is it ever the players fault. Maybe just maybe these kids are not all that talented. At this stage in their baseball lives you should understand the game well enough what to do in most instances.
This is like asking "Why isn't it the fault of the mailroom guy at Enron?". If the "head" coach isn't responsible for the people under him, then we might as well save the money and have our own Nap Lajoie coach the team.

This goes back to my rant against the over-reliance on South Florida travel ball heroes. You're right, they aren't that good. But our staff is being paid very well to find guys who ARE that good. Vanderbilt manages to find productive baseball players in California, Florida, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc. They have eight (8) players from their own state.

Recruiting takes work. People think I'm exaggerating, but our staff literally calls the local travel ball coaches and asks "who you got for us?" An out of state player has to make the first contact if he's interested in Miami. We don't find those guys on our own. Then, when the South Florida kids show up with no glove, no heart, no grit, and little baseball knowledge, we act shocked since we had such a great recruiting class. Rinse, repeat. And that's how you go 12 years and win one single game in the CWS at a program like Miami.

Advertisement
Back