Florida just flipped Holley

Florida has its worst season in 15 years, their Head Coach is on the Hot seat and they pull

Gerald Willis (LSU HEAVY lean)
Thomas Holley (Penn State/OSU Battle)
Jalen Tabor (Alabama/Arizona battle)
Brandon Powell (Miami commit)
Eric Lauderdale (Tennessee commit)

and have a shot with

Makenzie
Adoree Jackson
and Lorenzo Carter.

--------

So much for the "win and they'll come" philosophy

On top of having better recruiters, they also have a couple national championships that these kids actually remember.

Advertisement
Florida has its worst season in 15 years, their Head Coach is on the Hot seat and they pull

and have a shot with

Makenzie
Adoree Jackson
and Lorenzo Carter.

--------

On top of having better recruiters, they also have a couple national championships that these kids actually remember.
And before this year who had a longer drought....us or FSU? These kids dont want to play in No D scheme. Its that simple. They watch the games as well

Randy did it after a 5-7 season

Basically. If you have a vision to sell recruits will buy in.

Muschamp is basically selling 'we were 11-2 the year before, then we had a rash of injuries. The one coordinator we had that sucked we got rid of him, next year we're back to winning 10 games.' Now I ain't buying the ****, but that's the selling point. As well as tons of playing time in the SEC, that's apparently been a big one on the trail. A lot of recruits want to play in the SEC. Basically, its selling dreams.

exactly. Not sure why people think they bought Holley.

Selling early playing time and the ability to bring back a CFB powerhouse is pretty enticing, not to mention good gameday atmosphere etc.

Its easy to recruit when you're on top and when you're on the bottom. Being stuck in purgatory, where we are, isn't

I wouldn't say Miami is stuck in purgatory, but you make a good point.

Recruiting is easiest when you're at the bottom or at the top. If you're at the bottom you can sell early playing time, being 'the man' to bring program back, being the class that brought a school back, etc. When you're at the top you can sell winning championships, the NFL, coaches that will prepare you, etc. It's much harder to recruit when you're that in between program because you can't really sell championships and prestige but you can't sell angles like PT either, it's tough.

We had some of our toughest recruiting seasons the year after we won a NC. The '90 class, a month after we won the '89 championship is an example. One recruiting expert I spoke to said kids were afraid they wouldn't get playing time.

I've noticed that we've had that problem several times in the past, but maybe that's because it was mostly the 1980's. I don't know. It didn't seem to slow up FSU or UF.

I think most of you are missing the appeal of those two schools. and it might be campus, traditional college atmosphere, etc., etc. UM is very different from virtually any college I've seen. That might not appeal to some kids. That being said, I think Holley is impressed by the fact another NYC kid, Easley, went to UF and did well. We used to own NYC among the Florida schools: Steve McGuire, Robert Bass, Leon Williams. Not any more. They produce a few, but some have been very good.

Straight cash money, homes.

339.jpg

Advertisement
so much crying in here. Some ppl refuse to believe that the SEC is playing with a loaded deck. they went 4-8 lost to GA southern at home are expected to be #25 in the 2014 polls. they were sub .500 and still ranked. They can use all the bias and throw all the money they want at kids.

Our class is doing just fine. We are suffering from having too many kids committed for such a long time. and that doesn't sell scripts.
If you were to remove McDermont, C. Thomas, Kayaa off our commitment list we'd have a top 10 class still. Then say they all committed over the last 3 weeks we would have gotten bumped up instead of down.

Beside this class ranking crap doesn't mean anything..as many have said see 08. you gotta coach up the kids you do get. If coached to full potential you don't think C.Thomas, Moten, Jackson and Valentine aren't the best Dline in CFB in 3 years?

ESPN 2008 Class rankings
Miami, Clemson, Alabama...Bama more championships than Miami and Clemson combined...**** not even a conference championship for either.

Scout
Bama,Nd,Miami,OSU,UGA,Mich,LSu....only 2 of those teams played for titles.

Last edited:
SEC is a different playing field but also gotta remember UF gets elite defensive prospects every year so that isn't a problem but even with Powell and maybe the JUCO wr they've gotten stud wrs in the past and done jack **** with it and Powell was lucky because he wanted to be there no matter what so this isn't a major shock that they're still doing this

Randy did it after a 5-7 season

Basically. If you have a vision to sell recruits will buy in.

Muschamp is basically selling 'we were 11-2 the year before, then we had a rash of injuries. The one coordinator we had that sucked we got rid of him, next year we're back to winning 10 games.' Now I ain't buying the ****, but that's the selling point. As well as tons of playing time in the SEC, that's apparently been a big one on the trail. A lot of recruits want to play in the SEC. Basically, its selling dreams.

exactly. Not sure why people think they bought Holley.

Selling early playing time and the ability to bring back a CFB powerhouse is pretty enticing, not to mention good gameday atmosphere etc.

Its easy to recruit when you're on top and when you're on the bottom. Being stuck in purgatory, where we are, isn't

I wouldn't say Miami is stuck in purgatory, but you make a good point.

Recruiting is easiest when you're at the bottom or at the top. If you're at the bottom you can sell early playing time, being 'the man' to bring program back, being the class that brought a school back, etc. When you're at the top you can sell winning championships, the NFL, coaches that will prepare you, etc. It's much harder to recruit when you're that in between program because you can't really sell championships and prestige but you can't sell angles like PT either, it's tough.

We had some of our toughest recruiting seasons the year after we won a NC. The '90 class, a month after we won the '89 championship is an example. One recruiting expert I spoke to said kids were afraid they wouldn't get playing time.

I've noticed that we've had that problem several times in the past, but maybe that's because it was mostly the 1980's. I don't know. It didn't seem to slow up FSU or UF.

I think most of you are missing the appeal of those two schools. and it might be campus, traditional college atmosphere, etc., etc. UM is very different from virtually any college I've seen. That might not appeal to some kids. That being said, I think Holley is impressed by the fact another NYC kid, Easley, went to UF and did well. We used to own NYC among the Florida schools: Steve McGuire, Robert Bass, Leon Williams. Not any more. They produce a few, but some have been very good.

Yea there is definitely plusses and minuses to being on top as well.

UF's 09' class was the weakest for Meyer other than his transition class for the reason you mentioned above. Kids did not want to come and compete, we lost a lot of guys to a down FSU instead. IIRC UF's 08' team at the time was the youngest in the BCS era to win it all and because 19/22 starters came back along with virtually the entire 2-deep getting elite prospects to sign on to that was **** near impossible.

Tough to tell what really motivates some kids. There's such a thing as being 'too good' when it comes to recruiting. Crazy ****.

Advertisement
That's what happens when you fire the coordinator that's not doing his job and hire a promising new one... You can sell recruits on what's possible

Really? Have u just started following recruiting, if you can recruit it doesnt matter whos on the staff or your record.

and have a shot with

Makenzie
Adoree Jackson
and Lorenzo Carter.

--------

And before this year who had a longer drought....us or FSU? These kids dont want to play in No D scheme. Its that simple. They watch the games as well

That's a good point, I'm just saying it's added incentive.

Advertisement
You realize that if Mcdowell commits here we esentially had 5 JUCO dts commit, 2 All Americans and another guy who looks like the future at nt? We aren't losing out on dts this year at all

so much crying in here. Some ppl refuse to believe that the SEC is playing with a loaded deck. they went 4-8 lost to GA southern at home are expected to be #25 in the 2014 polls. they were sub .500 and still ranked. They can use all the bias and throw all the money they want at kids.

Our class is doing just fine. We are suffering from having too many kids committed for such a long time. and that doesn't sell scripts.
If you were to remove McDermont, C. Thomas, Kayaa off our commitment list we'd have a top 10 class still. Then say they all committed over the last 3 weeks we would have gotten bumped up instead of down.

Beside this class ranking crap doesn't mean anything..as many have said see 08. you gotta coach up the kids you do get. If coached to full potential you don't think C.Thomas, Moten, Jackson and Valentine aren't the best Dline in CFB in 3 years?

ESPN 2008 Class rankings
Miami, Clemson, Alabama...Bama more championships than Miami and Clemson combined...**** not even a conference championship for either.

Scout
Bama,Nd,Miami,OSU,UGA,Mich,LSu....only 2 of those teams played for titles.

You have to take into account Clowney, Ingram, Taylor in 2012 for USCe; Brockers, Mingo, Montgomery in 2011 for LSU; and Werner, Carradine, Jernigan for FSU last year in terms of best D-Lines in the last 3 years. I believe Thomas, Moten, Valentine, Jackson, Harris, Smith, etc. if coached could be one of the top D-Lines, not exactly the best, I just don't believe we have the coaches to develop them into a top D-Line. The same could be said for any recruits though. You don't think if UF had Fowler, R Powell, Floyd, Orr, Bullard or FSU had Goldman, Edwards, Casher, Jernigan, Bryant, Walker, Thomas playing at full potential they wouldn't have one of the best D-Lines in CFB.

Advertisement
You realize that if Mcdowell commits here we esentially had 5 JUCO dts commit, 2 All Americans and another guy who looks like the future at nt? We aren't losing out on dts this year at all

We lost Valentine, Holley and Clark.

Moten and Jenkins are decent but not elite. There's no guarantees the JUCOs get in. That's not a great DT class.

Moten and Jenkins are decent but not elite. There's no guarantees the JUCOs get in. That's not a great DT class.

Valentine is still VERY MUCH in it we haven't lost him yet. Holley we just lost out on but lets not act like we were very close to getting him and Clark looks already like he'll eat his way out of college, still like him but until he actually gets in shape he'll bust out. 2 of the JUCOs are already in and will play this year and a 3rd is trying to get in so not GREAT but is it something to really ***** about?

Valentine is still VERY MUCH in it we haven't lost him yet. Holley we just lost out on but lets not act like we were very close to getting him and Clark looks already like he'll eat his way out of college, still like him but until he actually gets in shape he'll bust out. 2 of the JUCOs are already in and will play this year and a 3rd is trying to get in so not GREAT but is it something to really ***** about?

Huh? When did the JUCO's get admitted? They signed but they've yet to clear admissions.

Advertisement
Back