2024 Flip Watch Thread: Mario "We Have a Lot of Guys We're Fixin' to Flip"

In July and August, I said let’s see where we are in December. Many killed me for saying that. Today, I’m saying I can’t wait for December. Lol.
Season 2 Starz GIF by Hightown
Have to keep winning. 1 early season A&M win isn’t enough

Advertisement
I do think the transfer portal helps to mitigate the risk of the flip strategy. Teams can go shopping for what this miss on signing day
To an extent. The good ones will be expensive and highly contested to get. All in all we do have more options now though.

If we win 9+ we will flip some guys, the question will remain which ones. Last cycle we flipped a bunch but out ESD close while good was not monstrous and then we didn’t do anything after that HS wise.

I will say, that having a better product on the field will help Mario tremendously with the high value transfer assets. Right now, if TVD keeps playing the way it is, we should land a quality QB that way.

To an extent. The good ones will be expensive and highly contested to get. All in all we do have more options now though.

If we win 9+ we will flip some guys, the question will remain which ones. Last cycle we flipped a bunch but out ESD close while good was not monstrous and then we didn’t do anything after that HS wise.

I will say, that having a better product on the field will help Mario tremendously with the high value transfer assets. Right now, if TVD keeps playing the way it is, we should land a quality QB that way.
Our ESD close was Okunlola, Bain, Fletcher, and Damari Brown. And while it wasn't all technically on ESD it's the same crap so yes it was monstrous

Our ESD close was Okunlola, Bain, Fletcher, and Damari Brown. And while it wasn't all technically on ESD it's the same crap so yes it was monstrous
Compared to what others did leading up to ESD it was not monstrous, and then there is the reality that we lost Rashada and Cormani. We had a great 23 class, not debating that at all, but our close on ESD was not monstrous.

In the new 3 things I think article on 247, Gaby listed prospects we’re trying to flip as Robinson, Stone, Stewart, smith, Hays, Carr and Brewu and said there are 4 others the staff is targeting similarly, any guesses on the four?? It got my mind going

Advertisement
In the new 3 things I think article on 247, Gaby listed prospects we’re trying to flip as Robinson, Stone, Stewart, smith, Hays, Carr and Brewu and said there are 4 others the staff is targeting similarly, any guesses on the four?? It got my mind going

Probably trying to flip the Rock, Sapp, and Irvin back to the Canes.

Such a risky game waiting for flips.... on one hand wait until Dec or day before signing day and a flip happens very little time for the other side to counterpunch and you make a huge media statement everyone is buzzing about. BUT also no guarantee the kid holds true to his word, we had a few over the years that were supposed to come and didnt for whatever reason. Flip side nice to have someone flip now and help with other recruiting but you give the other side more of an opportunity to fight back. I will say however the general rule is once you flip, you may flip again but it rarely is back to the same school. Again I know we have some exceptions to this very statement but as a general rule I think that holds true .
Possibly, but this is also 100% a planted statement to get any fence sitters off the fence.

did a double take when I read the headline to this thread - did Mario actually use the phrase "fixing to flip?" if so all these southern coaches are rubbing off on him.

LOL, I thought the same thing! Thread title updated with the proper Southern accent.

Advertisement
Such a risky game waiting for flips.... on one hand wait until Dec or day before signing day and a flip happens very little time for the other side to counterpunch and you make a huge media statement everyone is buzzing about. BUT also no guarantee the kid holds true to his word, we had a few over the years that were supposed to come and didnt for whatever reason. Flip side nice to have someone flip now and help with other recruiting but you give the other side more of an opportunity to fight back. I will say however the general rule is once you flip, you may flip again but it rarely is back to the same school. Again I know we have some exceptions to this very statement but as a general rule I think that holds true .

Who is waiting for flips?

Mario is targeting who he wants. Based on who we sign in December, we will then supplement in the Portal, if necessary.

Advertisement

I'd imagine that we are continuing to target any of the 3 Georgia TEs, Isendre Ahfua, Joseph Ionata, Kamarion Franklin, Chris Cole, and Brandon Jacob, among others.

Who is waiting for flips?

Mario is targeting who he wants. Based on who we sign in December, we will then supplement in the Portal, if necessary.

Mario "wants" a lot of kids. One of the things I like about him is how national our board has become while still staying close to home. My comment was based off two recent comments by other posters in this thread. One saying he knew of 2 top 30 WR trying to reach out and we said we are good with our WR board right now (which obviously we are not with only 2 commits but that clearly infers 1. we like where we are with other guys or 2. we dont like the two guys that called) and the other poster saying he cant wait for December.

The latter part of your statement also is not related to the question you posed. Like obviously we will see where the team stands in Dec-Feb and hit the portal to supplement so we arent "waiting" because there is a portal. Still I think the foundation for long term success is in HS recruiting.

My comment is based on say this hypothetical with the other two poster comments in mind... there is only ONE uncommitted top 30 WR (wingo) and the 30th ranked WR is still ranked in the top 200 overall so say guys like TJ Moore (Clem commit 130 overall) or Gekyle Baker (TCU Commit, 124 overall) called and we said no because we are so confident in say Carr and J Smith flipping, but they want to make the "signing day" splash so we trust em and say no to Moore and Baker then Dec comes and Carr and Smith decide to stick with their commitments and we are left at the alter going into the portal looking for a backup WR with multiple years of eligibility that we can develop, thats the risk over taking a Moor and Baker now.

Advertisement
Saban dont even yell anymore brah. Man cant wait to come to FL to enjoy that mansion he bought. Mortality is a **** of a thing. U dont know how long u gonna remain mentally acute. Who knows about his wife. Suddenly football doesnt hit the same man. Plus having to deal with NIL and the portal. I think he retires soon.
He knows he doesn't have an advantage with the baga game like he used to have. However, they still are getting top recruits. There's just 3-4 less each year.

I couldn't agree more with other CIS posters that Saban has changed. His team doesn't have the same attitude that you'd see in the past.

They really struggled at South Florida. Their passing game is a mess and they had to wear down SF over time to get the running game going. Their offensive line doesn't look anything like year's past.

I don't care how many 5 stars they have. They don't play like it.

I see an 9-3/8-4 season. I think Ole Miss us going to light them up. Kiffen will biuld a big lead and force Bama to pass to get back in the game.

He knows he doesn't have an advantage with the baga game like he used to have. However, they still are getting top recruits. There's just 3-4 less each year.

I couldn't agree more with other CIS posters that Saban has changed. His team doesn't have the same attitude that you'd see in the past.

They really struggled at South Florida. Their passing game is a mess and they had to wear down SF over time to get the running game going. Their offensive line doesn't look anything like year's past.

I don't care how many 5 stars they have. They don't play like it.

I see an 9-3/8-4 season. I think Ole Miss us going to light them up. Kiffen will biuld a big lead and force Bama to pass to get back in the game.
I think Bro style and Milroe will have them win some game. Im not sure Ole Miss has it, i watched them v GT and i was not particularly impressed. Texas is a better team and that was close late. I think they will struggle at A&M who treats them like a superbowl and has a better QB.

And LSU is a better team especially at QB. But its not the talent they are not getting, its the layers that used to be there waiting and waiting who are now on other rosters including 2 on ours.

Ima dolphin fan as well and i was watching the game last night and thinking how similar Saban and Bellicheck seem now. Once Brady left the so called genius doesnt seem to show up much and now Saban team looking like we did last year. Ironic. I dont see either staying much longer.

Advertisement
Back