Flagg Officially Commits

Yup. This is one of the few offers I’m not impressed with at all. All the signs point to his best days being at the HS level. There were a few guys we didn't let commit last cycle that seem to have much higher ceilings than this guy. I’m just hoping this doesn’t effect Cave’s decision or the staff’s push on Cave in any way shape or form. Cave looks like a stud.

With our scary thin LB depth chart, I like taking a guy like this even if his ceiling is low. We need some LBs who can play next year. If he contributes as a true frosh and gets passed up by a superior athlete by his junior year this would still be a good take.

Advertisement
This is partially true hes good at close to the line stuff but its a different age he has to be able to defend the pass vs d1 types. I think hes a good player its that 40 that surprises me cause his tape doesnt look like that but the numbers are accurate
That’s my point. For what he does and have done on all his tape, you can’t tell his 40 time. That’s why it’s not such a factor in his ability. He’ll get a better 40 once he leaves college, the combine is the only thing the 40 matters in.

I've re-watched his junior HUDL highlights twice, and looked at the highlights of him playing DB this spring. He's got excellent instincts. But he's just not fast enough. He doesn't even have great burst, tbh. I thought I'd see that given he's got a decent if not elite shuttle time. I do think he reads exceptionally well, is smooth, swims through traffic well, and those skills counts for a lot. But he's not fast.

I didn't like the Jennings take because he was too slow to cover his territory against quality P5 teams. I don't really like Flagg's take either. We're graduating the best MLB in the ACC, and replacing him with kids who are less athletic. They can probably get the job done in the Coastal. But big-time opponents will exploit a talent gap.
Speed isn't everything for a MLB. I doubt we ever ask him to play man Coverage and he excels at Zone Coverage. He's going to be a Run stuffing LB who is a year or two away from seeing the field. We likely will take a Grad Transfer or Two at LB to come start for us next season.

Speed isn't everything for a MLB. I doubt we ever ask him to play man Coverage and he excels at Zone Coverage. He's going to be a Run stuffing LB who is a year or two away from seeing the field. We likely will take a Grad Transfer or Two at LB to come start for us next season.
Joyner, Brooks, and Huff will be a year older and better. Still may get Jennings and Steed back as well. You may be right as well. Gotta see how they develop.

Joyner, Brooks, and Huff will be a year older and better. Still may get Jennings and Steed back as well. You may be right as well. Gotta see how they develop.
Joyner probably starts at MLB 20-21. Then after that if Flagg doesn't develop, you still got Metayer coming in 21.

Advertisement
His athletic ability will increase once he gets into our strength program. I’m not concerned with his testing numbers. I want football players who understand the game at MLB.
That sounds exactly like what Doritos said in that video where he was hyping that cement-footed Safety who wound up at Colgate.

This guy looks like a good player, but the dudes trying to act like his lack of speed is meaningless sound like dolts.

His athletic ability will increase once he gets into our strength program. I’m not concerned with his testing numbers. I want football players who understand the game at MLB.
and he definitely diagnoses football well especially with 144 tackles. He played in all 16 games and he is durable. I like the kid bring him aboard and let's see where things shake out.

That sounds exactly like what Doritos said in that video where he was hyping that cement-footed Safety who wound up at Colgate.

This guy looks like a good player, but the dudes trying to act like his lack of speed is meaningless sound like dolts.

I’m not saying it meaningless but I’m also saying his 40 time is not the only thing that should be considered when grading him as a football player. He has two years to work on his speed and agility and if you think he won’t get better, then you don’t understand how strength and conditioning programs work.

Advertisement
I’m not saying it meaningless but I’m also saying his 40 time is not the only thing that should be considered when grading him as a football player. He has two years to work on his speed and agility and if you think he won’t get better, then you don’t understand how strength and conditioning programs work.
He’s a very good HS football player. No one doubts that. I worry about our team speed seemingly becoming less and less important. We can’t keep recruiting so many slow guys and thinking it’s all gonna be fine just because they are good HS players.

He’s a very good HS football player. No one doubts that. I worry about our team speed seemingly becoming less and less important. We can’t keep recruiting so many slow guys and thinking it’s all gonna be fine just because they are good HS players.

Huff is fast and I expect him to take Pinkneys spot. Then we have speed at striker. Just need more athletic LB in this class cause the rest are thumpers. I think we are ok.

Joyner, Brooks and Huff will be a formidable trio for us. I think Joyner is going to turn some heads this year then breakout in 2020. From what I understand, the plan is to start Brooks out at Mike LB. His speed, quickness and explosiveness could be a difference maker for the defense in 2020. The question with Brooks will be if he can take the athleticism and explosiveness he showed in HS and have it translate to this level playing inside in addition to developing the discipline and instincts necessary to thrive at this level. I think Huff is going to take Pinckney's spot in 2020.

Advertisement

in this era of spread/tempo football, where it's all about exploiting space, outside of DT, Im not sure you can afford to have guys who aren't fast/quick, or can make up for it with an incredibly high football IQ like Jaquan Johnson

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back