FIU 5 Miami 0

I disagree. The real big miss was the 2016 class in which several high profile recruits signed Letters of Intent to Miami, but were drafted high and turned pro. That left the staff scrambling to fill the roster with guys that would have never been recruited to Miami.

I blame the coaching. Particularly the hitting coach DiMare. The poor hitting is a direct reflection on his lack of coaching. There is no way a team should continue to strike out at the rate they do. A good hitting coach could get more out of less talented players.

Look at Toral. As a coach, you can't get this talented hitter straightened out? It seems like the hitters are left to figure things out on their own because I see the same awful at-bats in recent games that I saw in the beginning of the season. That shouldn't happen with good coaching.

You can't blame the freshman either. The poor hitting has been across the board regardless of experience at the college level.

As I said in other posts, the problem is going to get masked because the freshman will improve over the next couple of years because of summer leagues and their own physical and mental maturation. They will be good enough to win the ACC and go to Omaha, but it won't be because of DiMare, but rather inspite of him.

That is exactly identifying the wrong kids. A major part of college baseball recruiting (that doesn't exist in other sports) is finding the kids in the sweet spot of being good players and not going to turn pro.

Advertisement
Thing is, you don't have to teach an elite high school hitter how to make contact against a fellow freshman from FIU. Guys who are recruited at this level should have been seeing the best 18U pitching in the country.

Coaching is absolutely an issue. But I am certain that DiMare takes a lazy approach to recruiting. He recruits measurables; the guys with the high Perfect Game rankings. He fails to identify true baseball players, and I think we're seeing that with this freshman group that was supposed to immediately make us better.

I think he takes a lazy approach to everything. I've seen nothing from him that leads me to believe he will ever coach UM baseball above .500

God I hope I'm wrong.

Worst UM baseball team EVER! Half of this bunch (at least) should be taken out and humanely destroyed.......including the coaches. Don’t understand why the administration has tolerated this horror for so long. Shalala has been gone long enough for this mess to have been ended.

That is exactly identifying the wrong kids. A major part of college baseball recruiting (that doesn't exist in other sports) is finding the kids in the sweet spot of being good players and not going to turn pro.
I agree, but you can't ignore the guys that want to sign with Miami. The thing that happened is that a lot of them were drafted even higher than expected. The opposite happened last year. Guys like Toral were drafted much lower than expected, so it wasn't even a question whether they would sign a pro contract. The problem with the 2016 recruiting was that they didn't have a solid backup plan. You just have to over recruit and have some guys transfer down the road if your top prospects don't sign pro contracts. Similar to how we recruit 1-2 QBs every year in football. Sooner or later, one of them is going transfer.

I agree, but you can't ignore the guys that want to sign with Miami. The thing that happened is that a lot of them were drafted even higher than expected. The opposite happened last year. Guys like Toral were drafted much lower than expected, so it wasn't even a question whether they would sign a pro contract. The problem with the 2016 recruiting was that they didn't have a solid backup plan. You just have to over recruit and have some guys transfer down the road if your top prospects don't sign pro contracts. Similar to how we recruit 1-2 QBs every year in football. Sooner or later, one of them is going transfer.

To summarize your post:

"Miami is failing at recruiting."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back