First visit to Miami

ecros

Recruit
I know these types of questions have been asked here before and my searching didn't give great results, so I'm asking this same question again. . . and I apologize in advance.

I live in Atlanta and have been to many Miami games vs. Georgia Tech. My wife set up a trip to Miami for my first time in September to see the Bethune-Cookman game for my birthday last week. As a newbie to Miami in general, I need some tips and advice for what to do while we're there, and also where to sit in Hard Rock Stadium.

We're flying into FLL on Friday before the game, and leaving Sunday morning. We're staying in Fort Lauderdale and will have a car, so getting around shouldn't be a problem. We're not partyers—definitely more "quiet, night in" kind of people. We'll probably do most of our stuff during the day, and head back to the hotel to relax in the evenings.

I've already got a few things on my list to do while we're there:
  • Visit UM's campus
  • Wynwood Walls
  • Dominos Park
  • Go to the beach (any beach, not necessarily South Beach)
Are there any other must do things while we're there? And recommendations for places to eat? We know there's always chain restaurants and fast food, but we'd love to know where the locals go, and what the locals love.

I've heard that the visitor side of HRS gets the most sun, so it's best to stay away from there, but are there any other things to be aware of? Favorite sections to sit? Any details about parking to know about?

Thanks for any help you all can give. I very much appreciate it. Go Canes!

Advertisement
Advertisement
there is a chart somewhere showing where the sun will be on the visitor side during different times of the day/year. Someone in here will probably link it.
Where you want to go really depends on what you like. If you’ve never been to south beach then south point park is a good spot And if you got the bread then smith and wolensky is right there. Rusty pelican at night is very nice cause you get a nice view of the city while you eat. The places you pointed out are all very nice. You might even be able to catch a heat game. Marlins park is cool and the rockets are cheap. If you want a quiet beach day I suggest fort Lauderdale beach north of sunrise blvd.
The place I recommend for Cuban food is way out of your way but well worth it. It’s called “Islas canaries”. The good part is that it’s way out west where everyone speaks Spanish so you’ll be 💯 in a Miami town.
I personally like La Camaronera for seafood cause I would go a lot to that place as a teen with my pops it’s also in little Havana so you’ll be close to domino park.
Look up Islas Canarias on yelp for reviews and pics.
Here is a video about La Camaronera

If you’re a. Big spender then the beach has a lot of high end restaurants that the ballers on here can enlighten you.
Ohh snap and how could I forget “palasio de los Jugos”!!

If you want something different and don’t mind long *** drive, Burr’s Berry Fram in SW Dade county use to have best strawberry milkshakes in the world. It has two airstrips and Back in late 70’s I use to fly in on the way home from Key Largo. Last time I went it cost me my Piper Aztec so that last memory was little nasty(my fault), so I have been in long long time. Despite that, the shakes were to die for. Not the normal spot on a short visit, but it is different.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you want something different and don’t mind long *** drive, Burr’s Berry Fram in SW Dade county use to have best strawberry milkshakes in the world. It has two airstrips and Back in late 70’s I use to fly in on the way home from Key Largo. Last time I went it coast me my Piper Aztec so that last memory was little nasty(my fault), so I have been in long long time. Despite that, the shakes were to die for. Not the normal spot on a short visit, but it is different.

**** bruh. He’s going to have to set aside time to go all the way to Krome Drive. But I must admit next to the Strawberry Festival (Plant City) they have the best strawberry milkshake I’ve ever had.

If you want something different and don’t mind long *** drive, Burr’s Berry Fram in SW Dade county use to have best strawberry milkshakes in the world. It has two airstrips and Back in late 70’s I use to fly in on the way home from Key Largo. Last time I went it coast me my Piper Aztec so that last memory was little nasty(my fault), so I have been in long long time. Despite that, the shakes were to die for. Not the normal spot on a short visit, but it is different.
Burrs opens in October.

Advertisement
Pandebono on 8th for empanadas and cafe con leche

Forget going to the beach - waste of time

Rincon Argentino on Coral Way and 37th

Stiltsville off of Miami Beach for seafood

When in Wynwood for the walls hit up Concrete, Wakefield and Veza Sur breweries (forget Wynwood brewing it's the worst of the bunch)

Ohho noodles if you're in the mood for ramen and such by the campus

Mi Pueblo on Flagler for Colombian

Olds Havana Bar and Cocina for Cuban in Little Havana. It's actually right next to the Domino's spot

Bachour for breakfast in Coral Gables

Pandebono on 8th for empanadas and cafe con leche

Forget going to the beach - waste of time

Rincon Argentino on Coral Way and 37th

Stiltsville off of Miami Beach for seafood

When in Wynwood for the walls hit up Concrete, Wakefield and Veza Sur breweries (forget Wynwood brewing it's the worst of the bunch)

Ohho noodles if you're in the mood for ramen and such by the campus

Mi Pueblo on Flagler for Colombian

Olds Havana Bar and Cocina for Cuban in Little Havana. It's actually right next to the Domino's spot

Bachour for breakfast in Coral Gables

Wakefield is a cool spot.

Advertisement
Coming from a UM student raised in Fort Lauderdale, I highly recommend the boardwalk beach in Hollywood.

There are some great food places in Fort Lauderdale (Anthony’s Runway 84, Steak954, SunSurfSand, Cafe Martarano, any of the Pier 66 restaurants) but you’re more likely to find better food in Miami.

Oh and Madrid Tapas y Vino on Le Jeune and Flagler. Make a reservation Saturday night to see a fun Flamenco show. Good food and wine.

Flying in Friday for a 4PM game and staying in FLL relax - go for dinner on Las Olas Blvd or dine on the Intercoastal IF you're still hungry after the game - pick your menu off YELP. I wouldn't drive to MIAMI after the game unless you are night people

Advertisement
Back