First visit to Miami

Advertisement
Advertisement
You will be in Coral gables visiting campus. Check out the beautiful historic Biltmore Hotel and the Venitian Pool located in the heart of Coral Gables. Also, downtown Coral Gables via Miracle Mile is a nice drive to see some unique ambience.

For some touristy shopping, hit up Bayside in downtown Miami.

Advertisement
If you're staying in Lauderdale a pretty cool new hotel just opened on Federal Hwy a couple blocks north of Las Olas that has a sweet rooftop bar with great views. Obviously not the cheapest of drinks but it's laid back and very picturesque.

Do you already have tickets? How many do you need? I have season tickets in the nose bleed visitors side so I guess they will be in shade the whole time(just got them, don't know yet). I'm not going to that game, you can have them if you don't feel like paying for better.

Advertisement
Caneswear is not far from FLL (10 mile West of FLL). So, he should hit them up on arrival. However, if your going to the UM Campus you should just hit the UM bookstore for some gear.
Well aware....Bookstore is close...and a unbelievable selection...and the fact he's gonna be on campus anyway....Kill 3 birds with one stone (Titanic....Bookstore and the Rat)

As far as going to the beach (and if seeing t-and-a isn't the main objective) then Bill Baggs Cape Florida at the end of Key Biscayne is my favorite beach down here. It's as close to being in the Keys as you can get and it's a better actual beach than you'll find in most spots down there. I'm still amazed that it exists so relatively close to a major urban area.

Advertisement
Keep in mind, if you're staying in Fort Lauderdale, it's a bit of a drive to Coral Gables. If you're going to see the campus, you can probably hit up the Calle Ocho area for Cuban food and maybe hit Wynwood on the way back to check out the art and maybe grab a drink all in one trip. You don't want to be going back and forth on I-95 too much or you'll spend your whole trip in traffic.

As for seats, the visitor sideline (north side of the stadium) gets sun the whole time and will be very hot during a day game. If you do get seats on the north side, opt for the upper level ones, you'll at least be in the shade there. The rest of the stadium, besides the north sideline and northeast corner are shaded regardless of game time.

Last edited:
Suggestion:

Campus 10am - 12pm
Titanic for lunch & beer 12-1
Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne 1:30 - 4
South Pointe Park on Miami Beach 4:30 - 6
Wynwood 6:30 - 8

Keep in mind it's going to be 85+ degrees so walking around anywhere without water nearby is retarded.

Suggestion:

Campus 10am - 12pm
Titanic for lunch & beer 12-1
Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne 1:30 - 4
South Pointe Park on Miami Beach 4:30 - 6
Wynwood 6:30 - 8

Keep in mind it's going to be 85+ degrees so walking around anywhere without water nearby is retarded.
Crandon was my "every Saturday beach spot " while at the U. In fact it has been there forever. Parked my sports car, and had a blast. Great memories. This would be the ultimate immersion + a host of other local spots listed earlier.
One thing has not changed, and that is the variety of tastes, and appetites in Miami.
Awesome. Have a great time.

Advertisement
Back