First big booster speaks out

Advertisement
He can’t get involved. The NIL rules mean if he’s a booster to the school he can’t continue to write NIL checks.

Dude is a rich superfan, he’s not talking to the Herald because he “doesn’t want to get involved.”

He’s just keeping it straight and narrow for compliance so he can keep up the NIL

This is not true.

@johnnyctaylorjr - vice chair UM Trustee Board

You should all voice your displeasure via social media and written emails to the board leadership, athletics committee, at large and emeritus members. Tag them on every (re)tweet to make sure they hear us.

Advertisement
Cribby, blood sucks as a AD, period. I know we’re on the FB board, but he absolutely sucks as an AD, in general.

I’m going to assume whatever money he’s raised pales in comparison of what could be raised both from boosters & sponsors/endorses based upon the **** poor product that ALL of the big 3 sports programs have produced.
He has one of the easiest jobs in p5.
Take Florida for example and I hate using those mfers. But their ad has to oversee a lot more sports. And yet they have a highly rated gymnastics team, track, swimming, golf and tennis team. I also understand that it is a state school with a lot more funding.

But is our ad asked to do that much? Are any fans or boosters asking for a national championship caliber volleyball or soccer team? are we ****ed that we ain’t giving Stanford a run for their money in Tennis or golf?
No. No we’re not. Baseball basketball and football. That’s it and only one of them is a headache of an expenditure.
And that headache of an expenditure doesn’t include maintenance and staffing of an 80k stadium. That headache and an expenditure has the resources in the neighboring 3 counties to make it profitable if you just weren’t born stupid.
2 of those sports have been nationally recognized as powerhouses in their respective sport. Baseball not being in college World Series despite the talent access is another horrible failure imo. Basketball is a hurdle but not as insurmountable as it seems.
The athletic department oversees horrible teams in other sports so the status quo for all in that department is to take care of the student athletes and their scholarships and let’s hope we don’t go broke.
We keep talking about how our program would look with a competent coach. But some of the old school
Guys on here have had it pegged for years now and we (myself included) have only come to the realization of what they’ve been preaching. We need a competent AD.
One who isn’t there for self interest. And if he is, he recognizes that his self interest would be rewarded if he puts the right resources into those sports.

Sofla is literally like South Africa. The diamonds are there but you’re giving them away. It’s the dumbest sht I’ve ever seen. You’re letting another AD take the credit, the money, and the prestige by allowing them to take the resources out of your back yard cause you’re too stupid to notice or flat out just don’t care. This ain’t Nebraska or Minnesota where you have to spend a bunch of money just to see recruits play. It can just be a routine Friday night and you can land a 5 star.

In truth, they don't even have to fire him if they feel that strongly he is competent at parts of his job; ie fundraising. Just reassign him. Move him to another part of the University and let him do that there. His salary can't be that big a deal.

Restructure the athletic department: IDK if Highsmith WANTS to run the whole show, that has to be a consideration also. But getting rid of Blake and cleaning house would allow AH to set it up the way he wants.

Just rewatching Season 1 of The Sopranos. We need to set it up like this...

Alpha Alonzo:
1632505375126.jpeg

Beta Blake:
1632505395607.jpeg

Advertisement
Johnny cares. He was the guy who threw up the U and mentioned the Canes during that one Trump administration event a couple of years ago.

I cannot speak about him because I dont know him personally, but I do know a number of other BOT's and they dont care. Not because they are bad people, but because their vision is more Harvard of the South or they are simply not involved. The good/bad news is that there is immense pressure on them now to care.

I may need to reread the article, but Dan Lambert didn't name names or anything that would embarrass anyone. He pointed out the obvious which is that the program is a dumpster fire under its current leadership, Manny, and that it is tough to sell NIL deals to companies because the product is a "$*&^ sandwich." He even stated that he doesn't make recommendations about coaches because he's just an MMA guy. This guy is a hero to any fan of the program.

I am not disagreeing with you, merely pointing out that private conversations tend to be better received than public ones.

Agree.

And even better he does not seem to want to just throw money at the program and bail them out. He calls them out. He seems to want them to get serious about the program and then he will get serious.
NIL makes college sports more professional than ever. Pro teams and athletes lose sponsorships all the time for poor play or off field problems. Time for colleges to feel that same push/pull. Maybe NIL will have the fringe benefit of increasing accountability in college sports.
**** even in the "old" days only the players who performed made real money.

That’s the most likely option. Or have him not be involved with football. I could see one of these two options versus being fired.
I just started a thread about this. Could the university afford it and have an AD for football that acts on his own without reporting to little Blake?

Advertisement
In 2014, when Jim Morris replacement was named as DiMare, it would be ludicrous to call his staff a failed staff.

I’m not a fan of the baseball HC, but this is not the same as Manny.
Yea that was more akin to the Seminoles replacing Bowden with Jimbo than us hiring Manny

In 2014, when Jim Morris replacement was named as DiMare, it would be ludicrous to call his staff a failed staff.

I’m not a fan of the baseball HC, but this is not the same as Manny.
Fair, and forgot how early on he was named. The next question I guess is should that have been revisited as the following years played out?

Advertisement
He has one of the easiest jobs in p5.
Take Florida for example and I hate using those mfers. But their ad has to oversee a lot more sports. And yet they have a highly rated gymnastics team, track, swimming, golf and tennis team. I also understand that it is a state school with a lot more funding.

But is our ad asked to do that much? Are any fans or boosters asking for a national championship caliber volleyball or soccer team? are we ****ed that we ain’t giving Stanford a run for their money in Tennis or golf?
No. No we’re not. Baseball basketball and football. That’s it and only one of them is a headache of an expenditure.
And that headache of an expenditure doesn’t include maintenance and staffing of an 80k stadium. That headache and an expenditure has the resources in the neighboring 3 counties to make it profitable if you just weren’t born stupid.
2 of those sports have been nationally recognized as powerhouses in their respective sport. Baseball not being in college World Series despite the talent access is another horrible failure imo. Basketball is a hurdle but not as insurmountable as it seems.
The athletic department oversees horrible teams in other sports so the status quo for all in that department is to take care of the student athletes and their scholarships and let’s hope we don’t go broke.
We keep talking about how our program would look with a competent coach. But some of the old school
Guys on here have had it pegged for years now and we (myself included) have only come to the realization of what they’ve been preaching. We need a competent AD.
One who isn’t there for self interest. And if he is, he recognizes that his self interest would be rewarded if he puts the right resources into those sports.

Sofla is literally like South Africa. The diamonds are there but you’re giving them away. It’s the dumbest sht I’ve ever seen. You’re letting another AD take the credit, the money, and the prestige by allowing them to take the resources out of your back yard cause you’re too stupid to notice or flat out just don’t care. This ain’t Nebraska or Minnesota where you have to spend a bunch of money just to see recruits play. It can just be a routine Friday night and you can land a 5 star.
The thing that screws baseball a bit is the scholarship thing but Gino sucks anyways

Fair, and forgot how early on he was named. The next question I guess is should that have been revisited as the following years played out?
That's a tough question. Major ***** job of a non-revenue sport coach with the- I believe- biggest donor on BoT at that time? Whew. Upside is pretty low. Baseball costs money, not a money maker. Though the sport is heading towards green sport.

I believe Soffer has become biggest donor after IPF, but not certain.

That's a tough question. Major ***** job of a non-revenue sport coach with the- I believe- biggest donor on BoT at that time? Whew. Upside is pretty low. Baseball costs money, not a money maker. Though the sport is heading towards green sport.

I believe Soffer has become biggest donor after IPF, but not certain.
I’ll admit, it was a bit of a leading question. The answer is of course they couldn’t revisit, but that’s why you don’t hire someone you can’t fire. It is crazy they named him head coach in waiting that far out for all of these reasons.

To Paul’s credit, he is also pumping in a lot of money to baseball facilities. If we can ever fire Gino and hire a real manager, those will help immensely.

I’ll admit, it was a bit of a leading question. The answer is of course they couldn’t revisit, but that’s why you don’t hire someone you can’t fire. It is crazy they named him head coach in waiting that far out for all of these reasons.

To Paul’s credit, he is also pumping in a lot of money to baseball facilities. If we can ever fire Gino and hire a real manager, those will help immensely.
Agreed. He started out great.

Ironically, Manny is failing in part due to being too nice. While Gino is failing, in part, due to being too much of a red ***.

Advertisement
Back