Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

First, they signed Deshaun Watson. By that point, Clemson had three straight years of double-digit wins and had the 12th highest scoring offense in the country. But were not on the championship level. In fact, the true title contender in the conference (FSU) beat them 51-14 at home. It was Clemson's upward trajectory that helped them land the player that would vault them over the top.

Second, they just signed better players at every position. Between the 2011-2014 seasons, they had 5 guys drafted in the first or second round. Over the next four years, they had 10 (including 4 first round DL).

When you win double-digits and play exciting football, you can recruit even more impact guys to put you over the top.
Underrated post, DMoney. Very well said.

Advertisement
I just want to know what you’ve seen from Pickett this season or previously against this defense to make you think he’s making that big of a difference in that game. I don’t see it.
He was pretty good beating an undefeated UM team as a true freshman a couple years ago. What did I see from him this year? I saw a veteran leader who can make all the throws, throws very well on the run, and runs the ball very well. Go ahead and keep deluding yourself into thinking a freshman QB with no experience and cement feet was as good as Pickett if it makes you feel better. You'd be alone on that other than a few other delusional UM fans.

I agree with Chise overall but am still a little surprised how down on the team he is.

Not hating at all - I share 99% of the same concerns but I still think there are few legs to this team yet, esp if a young WR steps up/LB play gets better/King stops being so erratic.

Nah, I'm probably just a homer.
****. You fellas take an honest appraisal of the team after a couple lame showings as me being completely down on the team. We still have a chance to run the table. Likewise, we have a pretty good chance of losing 3 more. We're just a middle of the road team right now, and teams like that can get got.

If we lucked out because Pitt’s QBs missed passes and their wideouts dropped balls, I’d say Pitt lucked out at least as much if not more because our qb missed passes and receivers dropped balls too. Considering their only touchdown came off a turnover where they got the ball at the one yard line and Miami took a knee when they could have piled on more points, I’d say Pitt was lucky the game was that close.
You guys are losing track of the original point. We lucked out because Pitt's best offensive player and team leader and 30 start top 2 ACC QB didn't play. That was the luck. Not Yellen missing passes. The luck was that Yellen played, and, of course, that includes him being inferior.

Advertisement
Find a post of mine picking Miami to beat Clemson. Won't happen.

You said you "watched a lot of college football and we are an average team." I asked you for an example of an above-average team and you went mute.

There can't be three elite teams and sixty "average" teams. That's not how it works. If we really are average, list some teams above us. Or maybe use a different word that you can defend.
I'm sure you didn't say we'd beat Clemson, but I'm sure you also thought we'd compete. I don't archive your podcasts yet, but I bet there's some hype in there about the game.

There are a handful of excellent teams and a glut of OK teams this year. When the Big Pvssy and PacFudge come back, we'll likely slide down a little more. We're part of that glut of about 60 teams behind the top 8 (when everyone's playing), which means we could easily lose to any of them or beat any of them. That's pretty average, but if you have trouble with that word call it what you want.

How can you say Canes would have lost if Pickett played when he didn’t? It’s hard to predict anything when the supporting evidence never occurred or hypotheticals. Try drawing conclusions from tangible provable concepts or facts before you suggest we suck.

Pickett may or may not have made the game closer and maybe even have won the game for them. All pure speculation by the beholder. If this or if that not real life. What actually happened is what counts. We won the game and arguments about what if will not change the facts of what happened. What we have is what we have. A slightly above ave team that has shown signs of improvement over last year. I think as more of our younger players get involved the improvement will continue. Just hope the coaches see what most of this board sees in that regard

Last edited:
Advertisement
Im generally very happy with how the season has played out so far. But a few things I would like to see is:

-- a more diversified offense moving forward. I get it, it has limitations because of a lack of solid, reliable WRs. But this is why Lashless (who Im a big advocate off) is paid the big bucks. Find ways to work around the weaknesses. Upcoming weeks they aren't exactly facing the 85 Bears.

-- and with that, work the young guys in at WR, like Sizz'lean: move over bacon, make way for something younger and better. Same thing at LB.

-- And that second point is a test for Manny Diaz, can/will he do what's right for the program both in the short and long term. IN this gig, you have to make tough decisions, you can't be afraid to hurt feelings. Sorry, this is what he signed up for.

-- then in the off-season, have the guys that are usually 5th or 6th rounders actually come back. In retrospect, its hard to believe that many moons ago Ed Reed and Bryant McKinnie actually came back in 2001. But this program needs to stop being '7th Round U'.

I'm sure you didn't say we'd beat Clemson, but I'm sure you also thought we'd compete.

It was a disappointing effort. I expected more fight.

But this season is about winning the other games. And through five, it looks different. We are scoring more points, winning more comfortably and are competent in all three phases. Let’s see if it continues.

The Pitt game was encouraging because that’s usually a loss or a dogfight. Instead, it was a sloppy 12-point win with Robert Burns running out clock.

My guess is the staff is afraid of losing the locker room having a bunch of dejected, checked-out upperclassmen. It's a coach's way of keeping the upperclassmen engaged and not having a fractured locker room. Their fear is they don't want to push the upperclassmen completely aside and play the younger guys only to have to go crawling back to the older guys when the younger guys get hurt or wear down later in the season.

But by doing this, they run the risk of losing the underclassmen who want to see the field. They will just leave if they don't get burn.

My honest sense is they are not stupid. They can see where the talent lies, and almost across the board our underclassmen have better upsides than our upperclassmen. Which is a good sign that we are upgrading our talent. The young guys will get more burn as the season goes on and the upperclassmen are more expendable.

Good post and hopefully we do see the younger guys more as the season goes on. Good point that keeping the seniors in there now, keeps the locker room in tact, but as season goes one and they don't play any better, we gotta make a change

Last edited:
We were 2-3 after five games last year with a horrible win that could have been a lost against a ****** central Michigan squad. We are looking a lot better, still have a lot of things to fix, but we are improving.

Advertisement
You're my guy Franchise, but I think your expectations may be a bit too high for this squad. You are 100% correct in that we still have some glaring holes to fill. We are farrrrrrr from a finished product. We are NOT an elite team and we both know this.

That said, I was never expecting elite play this year coming off a horribly ****** 6-7 season that was a total embarassment. I was looking for the basics as a reset year: no quit attitude, opened up offense, consistent QB play, stouter OL, more disciplined defense, etc. We are resetting the foundation.

We need better players and better coaches to take that next step. King is good, but we know he's not our savior. But he can get us back to respectability which is a huge step not to be underappreciated. Our OL, LB, WR and CB units are average. You can't compete with Bama and Clemson with that many deficiencies.

For now, I'll take the improvement I'm seeing so far. Pitt would have been a very convenient L for us the past two years. We didn't play well and still put up 31 on those guys and that's not easy to do against Pitt. Let's finish the season a Top 15 team with the roster we have (which would be a huge achievement) and sign a Top 10 2021 class to upgrade our talent.
I didn't expect elite either. I expect to play in the ACCCG. You don't need to be elite to do that, and we still have a shot.

He was pretty good beating an undefeated UM team as a true freshman a couple years ago. What did I see from him this year? I saw a veteran leader who can make all the throws, throws very well on the run, and runs the ball very well. Go ahead and keep deluding yourself into thinking a freshman QB with no experience and cement feet was as good as Pickett if it makes you feel better. You'd be alone on that other than a few other delusional UM fans.
I guess we just aren’t gonna agree here

Advertisement
Im generally very happy with how the season has played out so far. But a few things I would like to see is:

-- a more diversified offense moving forward. I get it, it has limitations because of a lack of solid, reliable WRs. But this is why Lashless (who Im a big advocate off) is paid the big bucks. Find ways to work around the weaknesses. Upcoming weeks they aren't exactly facing the 85 Bears.

-- and with that, work the young guys in at WR, like Sizz'lean: move over bacon, make way for something younger and better. Same thing at LB.

-- And that second point is a test for Manny Diaz, can/will he do what's right for the program both in the short and long term. IN this gig, you have to make tough decisions, you can't be afraid to hurt feelings. Sorry, this is what he signed up for.

-- then in the off-season, have the guys that are usually 5th or 6th rounders actually come back. In retrospect, its hard to believe that many moons ago Ed Reed and Bryant McKinnie actually came back in 2001. But this program needs to stop being '7th Round U'.

Great post - To your last point which is huge, we NEED guys who aren't 1st-3rd rd picks to come back

That means Nesta, Blades, probably even Phillips.

Who said we needed Pickett to be hurt to beat Pitt? He's never beaten us as a starting QB.
Is this a technicality because he sure as fck beat an undefeated UM team in 2017 and played the vast majority of that game. Did he come in after a series?

How can you say Canes would have lost if Pickett played when he didn’t? It’s hard to predict anything when the supporting evidence never occurred or hypotheticals. Try drawing conclusions from tangible provable concepts or facts before you suggest we suck.
Throw **** and see if it sticks.

Who said we needed Pickett to be hurt to beat Pitt? He's never beaten us as a starting QB.
jon stewart smh GIF

Advertisement
Back