Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

No one was really expecting us to go to the playoffs this year but we expected to do better against Clemson.

The real problem in the entire ACC is who is going to convince their seniors to stay one more year or the draft eligible players to stay. Obviously I doubt that sunshine and Travis stay.

But do you really expect the outcome of that game against Clemson to be as lopsided as it was if only the two best players in cfb aren’t there?
Two!! Just 2 players made that offense look unstoppable. Dabo struck gold 2 times at qb and somehow convinced a 1st round rb to stay and play during a pandemic while our 1st rounder bounced.

A lot of these teams are full of upperclassman that have no draft grade. However they can be serviceable and are actually starting. So some acc teams might be like a Wisconsin full of fourth and fifth year seniors.
Remember Clemson won a chip with a team that didn’t have that much nfl talent in it. But they had it at the right place.

The closest Kirby ever got to sniffing a ****le was with a team full of seniors And most of them never made the league. That one season has set up their recruiting classes till this day.

So while the ACC teams might have some draft picks there aren’t a lot of first or second round ones. Those are likely to leave unless they’re on an elite team like Clemson which keeps most of theirs.
And we can agree that we have a better chance against any team including Clemson next year with their 5 stars all over the oline and another year under the same system with Phillips and bolden. Just like we would’ve been a better line this year with Rousseau.

As far as pit with Pickett, anything is possible and we can’t compare the outcome of this game to see how we would be with him. Maybe the game plan is different. Maybe we actually perform better because we have more film on him than Yellen.

So yes there are deficiencies on both offense and defense. But I’d rather tackle those deficiencies with older stronger and more experienced players. Than players that barely got snaps or freshman.
Diaz's ability to convince our draftable upperclassmen to stay an extra year is going to be vital, moving forward. That's how you build Championship teams - that experience / physical maturity makes a world of difference at this level. Currently the culture at Miami is "hey, I'm draftable. I'm gonna bounce", so your rebuild cycle is a year shorter.

That said, his ability to quietly usher some of our current upperclassmen out of the door during a free year is also going to be vital this year. He's going to have disharmony in the locker room if certain SR take a free year and find themselves sitting on the bench as they've been passed over by more talented FR / SO.

Advertisement
The hierarchy of the ACC is Clemson and than a mishmash of good but flawed teams. Miami, Notre Dame, VT and UNC could all be slotted anywhere between 2-5. All are capable of beating anyone in the conference not named Clemson. And all are capable of losing to a bad team if they sleepwalk. See: FSU Vs UNC.

You know what Miami is? We're "pretty good."

Miami fans are used to either having a team full of pro-bowlers, or being complete dog****. We don't really know how to do the in between stuff. We don't know how the **** to respond to a team that's top 15-ish.

Hey it is what it is. As long as we're building and recruiting well, we'll get back to the top of the mountain eventually.

We should be able to beat UNC, Notre Dame, etc. Not easily, but we are the best team in that group I think.

Miami fans are used to either having a team full of pro-bowlers, or being complete dog****. We don't really know how to do the in between stuff. We don't know how the **** to respond to a team that's top 15-ish.

Hey it is what it is. As long as we're building and recruiting well, we'll get back to the top of the mountain eventually.

We should be able to beat UNC, Notre Dame, etc. Not easily, but we are the best team in that group I think.

I agree with this.

The frustrating this is that if we had good coaching/scheming, we could pull away from ND, VT and UNC.

I am just sick of sub-par coaching, penalties, WRs running free...
Ehh, we’re still working with average to below average talent on the offensive line, linebacker and wide receiver positions. You can try to scheme around talent deficiencies but you can only hide so much. If you have a below average offensive line and you’re up against a top tier defensive line, no coach, scheme or play calling is going to even that advantage out. The good news is, Miami doesn’t play another top tier D line for the remainder of the regular season. Clemson and Pitt back to back is no joke.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda as far as who Pitt's QB was this past Sat. I thought the kid looked poised and didn't get too rattled when things didn't go his way.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is we got the W when in previous years, this may have been an L. The Canes showed up, played hard, and didn't tank when some things didn't go well. To me, that's a good sign and hopefully carries over to the rest of the season.
Funny the fact that sPitt didn't score it's only td until 9 minutes in the 3rd quarter after a turnover gave them the ball on the 1.

Advertisement

Agreed. Miami is a good, not great team. It’s not the final destination I would ultimately be satisfied with but after so many years of being bad. Being “good” is alright with me for now.

Interesting take. I would be intrigued to see that matchup. Not a football guy but maybe watch some JMcD film on how he used the murderer and Goof ball in NE....

We need to be looking like how Florida uses Trask and Iowa State uses their guy Kolar as ways to get Mallory involved. An easy way is by flexing him out in the slot vs a LB or a smaller DB.

Advertisement
If you want to play the "woulda coulda" game if Pickett had played, then bear in mind the stats I posted in another thread today.

In 54 games with Diaz as DC or HC, the defense has given up more than 31 points 8 times. (rank based on final AP standing)

2016 - #16 VT
2017- #1 Clemson, #6 Wisconsin
2018- #6 LSU, #9 Wisconsin
2019- VT
2020- Louisville, #1 Clemson

In 4 years, a Diaz defense has only given up 31 or more up to team ranked lower than 16 twice. Would Pitt have scored more with Pickett? Maybe. But it is exceedingly unlikely (3% chance) that they would have scored more than 31 according to the stats.

Lol this thread is so funny...

Let’s not let the facts get in the way.

one poster says if picket plays they would have killed us

Next poster says we’ve handled picket in the past

Poster replies: but this is a new picket

That’s the definition of a hidden agenda to try and prove your chosen narrative is correct.

The games are played on the field with the players available.

1995, 1996, 1998, 1999.

Uneven performances, no consistency, some great talent, some miserable scrubs, no depth.

But there were more top end players on those teams than on this one, so it's a different animal of "in-between."

Advertisement
I watched every Pitt game this season as well, and a lot of CFB in general. Pickett is not the 2nd best QB in the ACC. He is a one-read guy on a poorly designed (Whipple) offense. If his first read isn't there, he immediately tucks it and takes off.

TLaw and Howell are clearly better. I'd take King over Pickett in a heartbeat. Pickett might get drafted late, but the kid at BC looks just as good in a small sample size (and beat him head to head).

Being that Pickett is a 4-year starter, I will give him the nod, but talent-wise I don't see him as that much of an upgrade over Cunningham, Leary or Hooker.

The WRs on the outside are worse than ours. Addision in the slot has some talent. But the total lack of a running game makes them totally one-dimensional, and that simply doesn't work in the P5 with average talent.

That is all to say that IMO Pickett wouldn't have made much of a difference. The Pitt run game got stuffed, and Addison threw for 270 (?). Pickett averages 2.6/per on 46 carries (King 5.2/per on 53 carries for reference). He hurt us with his legs in 2017, but he isn't a running threat on a weekly basis.

The line moved from -10.5 to -13.5 when Pickett went out. The game ended Miami by 12. I think that tells you all you need to know about what Pickett was worth... about 2 points (which is in line with a starting QB of his caliber IMO, will turn to @Poptimus for thoughts on this).

Last, I said all this same stuff about Pickett's limitations in multiple posts during gameweek. I am not saying it in hindsight. He isn't that good.

Posters forgetting about Ohio st like they aren't elite. UNC has a much better offense than we do. Dont know if we will slow them down at all. We won't win a shoot out. They have better odds of putting up 35+ on our D than our O does on there D.

Advertisement
A realistic goal is the Clemson teams from 2011-2014.

Those teams won double-digits every year but were 7-9 against ranked teams. Some of those losses were every bit as discouraging as our loss in Death Valley. They steadily improved their recruiting and jumped to Bama's level in 2015 after four years as a "very good not great" team.

That's attainable. The first step is consistently beating the bad teams.

What @The Franchise is simply stating is the fact that we struggled against a Pitt team w a backup QB who, if he chose to run, his WRs catch wide open passes, or he actually threw to open receivers, might have been a L, is still alarming. That makes us an average team. Therefore, if we are an average team, teams like GT, UNC, VT, or even UVA have a great shot at beating us.

There is the perception (that we would have lost if Pickett had played) driven by the lopsided Clemson loss and then there is the reality: unless you think at the end of the season Pitt is a top 16 team with Pickett (and personally, I don't), the numbers show there is about a 3% chance they would have scored more than 31 points.

Watching this 2020 UM team has me caught between "we're better than last year" and "we were so horrible last year that we can be better and still not be all that good." I watch about 10 full college games every weekend, and we are pretty average right now. We're ranked 11th, but if we played a weak SEC team like USC, I could see the game going either way.

Yesterday, we played a Pitt team without its best player and the heartbeat of its team, and it was another typical desultory ACC slap fight. Without Pickett, Pitt is total trash. Yet, they hung around the whole game, and their pop gun backup QB was making plays that he probably won't make against most of the other teams they play.

I make it a point to watch every ACC game, and, with the obvious exception of the super power Clemson and horrible Syracuse, all the rest of the teams are pretty interchangeable. GT lost by 300 to Clemson, who was clearly getting revenge for the 220 GT hung on Cumberland College, but that GT team could very easily beat us or any of the rest of the ACC.

Pros:

Our DTs got some push. Jade continues to be disruptive, and JHH is a future star.

Harvey stood out to me. He was active.

The freshman DB, Dunson, might have made the play of the game on the fake punt. He played that thing perfectly and snuffed out a potential game-changing moment.

Mallory stepped up. Still think he should be on the field a lot more and be a focus of the passing offense along with Jordan, Key Smith, and the RBs.

Don Jr. looked tough and fast before he got hurt. He's had shoulder issues, so I'm hoping he's not out for an extended time.

Restrepo at least looks confident and competent catching punts unlike Pope.

Cons:

Pretty much everything else. LOL.

King is either in a slump, or he's pretty much what I thought he was as a streaky passer. I thought he'd be a more dynamic runner though. Most of his best runs are off scrambles where he makes a couple great spin moves in the open field, but he's been completely ineffective in the read-option game. Seems slow in his get off and doesn't make great decisions in the read game.

John Campbell got disemboweled. By the end of the game, Patrick Jones was rendered less effective slogging through Campbell's entrails.

Wiggins and Pope continue to be weak. They're rapidly morphing into Khalil Jones and D'Mauri Jones without the artistic skills.

Our offense is slumping. We're all out of whack now that we're playing some competent defenses. We look disjointed and are very easy to defend. Teams are ganging up on the run game, which seems super basic, and forcing King and our WRs to beat them. And King and the WRs are failing pretty hard. Nice job by Lashlee sneaking Cam and Will out on those fake QB draws. Other than a couple big plays, we were pretty awful and couldn't sustain anything.

Defensively, we're just too easy to throw on. Guys are open all over the place. Old Yellen missed some wide open guys and they had some horrific drops when he did hit them. They bailed us out more than we stopped them.

Phillips has been nowhere near the pass rusher I thought he'd be. In fact, our overall pass rush is pretty weak.
“John Campbell got disemboweled. By the end of the game, Patrick Jones was rendered less effective slogging through Campbell's entrails.”

The best part right here! As the saying goes, “It’s funny because it’s true!”

I am in favor of playing man-to-man defense with our corners as many have suggested. Let the front 4 with the occasional blitz put pressure on the QB and have DJ, Blades and Couch man the fugg up against WR's. However, I doubt we see that against UVA. All 4 of UVA's QBs can't pass worth a crap and are predominantly runners. Playing man-to-man increases the risk of having our corners chase WRs with their backs to the QB and therefore susceptible to delayed QB runs.

With that said, ***** it...play mano a mano and have somebody not named McCloud spy the QB.

Advertisement
Back