Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

O is feast or famine due to inadequate / inconsistent Oline play. Until that becomes an above average strength, O will struggle. However, I am more hopeful in the growth of the Oline then I have been in 9-10 years due to the instruction they are now receiving, there's also talent there. Fingers crossed.
No one's forcing Lashlee to run inside zone 95% of the time and exclusively run go routes though. Where are the stretch and toss plays? Why aren't we moving the pocket for King? Where are the intermediate routes?

It's truly astonishing how we're asking these questions for the 3 millionth offensive coordinator in a row.

Advertisement
Hopfeully he has Chad Thomas level production abilities cuz if he leaves, he will be out the league just as fast as he was at Miami
That wasn't elite top end speed my friend.

It was decent acceleration but not top end.

For a QB, that’s elite. He was one tackle away from a 70 yard TD run. Vs Clemson. Not FAMU.

Advertisement
I am continuing to hope for smoke and mirror wins so we can recruit better players and keep the players we have committed. I am also hoping we are recruiting current kids to stay. We all know how that story reads. Every win, every week is a bonus after last season and if it is fools gold, I’ll take it for the time being.

The OP is obviously on the money with this one. Fools gold is good if we can keep finding it.

i pretty much say what franchise just said but he did it articulate af.
LMAO. Not at all. You're in 10 different threads whining about how we're never going to be back, our players suck, bag teams don't want our recruits so they aren't good, etc. Chise gave a nuanced perspective, which even if I don't fully agree with all of it, I can respect. You just b*tch in every thread bro.

I wouldn't read too much into beating a Pitt team we should beat after getting humiliated by Clemson. If Pitt had its QB we likely would have lost that game, and the wheels would be coming off again. We got lucky that Pickett missed the game, but I'll take luck. We got lucky that NC State just lost its QB too.

We had a little streak last year when everyone thought everything had changed too. Remember beating FSU on the road and then smashing UL? This team looks a little better than last year, and that's good too. But the bar was set so low last year that looking better was an equally low bar. It's like 600 Pound Life when one of those 678 pound chicks chisels herself down to a svelte 450 pounds. She looks better too. Folden gave us that "trending upward" **** too after setting the bar so low his first year.

It's OK to be honest about what we see. We don't have to cheerlead all the time. I'm one of the biggest homers on this board, but I wasn't impressed with that Pitt game at all. And we got embarrassed the previous week.
I just think you and I are looking at different indicators sometimes and that's cool. That's why I read your post for a different thought out perspective.

Advertisement
Obviously king has added weight. With our line he’d have gotten killed without it. He’s nowhere near his explosiveness he had at Houston

I get the criticism. If you go top-down, from elite teams like Clemson and Bama to where we're at today, we're several positions away from being competitive. And if King is having a bad day, every game in the mediocre ACC will be a one-or-two possession type game. We "should" still win those, but it will be rough going and we could easily lose.

But the optimist in me looks at this bottom up vs. a 6-7 2019 team:

* Better OC and offensive coaching staff
---
* Better at QB
* Better at OL
* Deeper and slightly better at RB
* Better at TE (because Jordan is Jordan, but Mallory is emerging)
---
* Equivalent Strong FL play (DEs a slight degradation offset by Silvera emerging as a disruptive force inside)
* Better at Safety
* Equivalent at Striker
* Equivalent play at CB and improving now that Couch is coming on
---
* Better at kicking
* Better at punting (Hedley took another step during the off season)
---
The two places we're worse, and it's a huge issue, are wide receiver and linebacker situation. At WR, Osborn was more reliable than anyone we have playing right now, as the leader of an underwhelming group last year. At LB, Shaq and Pinck were already a little stiff and slow. But they looked like All Pros vs. McCloud and Jennings. Hopefully the increased snap counts by the young WRs and Brooks means this gets better.

So, overall, the team is unquestionably better than the team that lost to FIU, La Tech, Ga Tech, UNC and Duke last year. But it's not a dominant team by any stretch of the imagination.

We still "should" go 10-1.

Advertisement
If Miami is average and UNC is average, who is above-average?

Everybody knows about the Clemson, Alabama and Georgia tier. Who currently belongs in the next tier?
D Money asking a question that only flies on a Miami CFB board. Is this a serious question?! Oklahoma, LSU, PSU, Michigan, etc... are clearly in the next tier(s).

When you've played in 1 BCS bowl in the past 16 years you're nowhere near just one tier away from the big boys.

The other point I'll note is that many of us are down on King's performance, and rightfully so. He may just be a rich-man's Rosier. But he's a streaky player. He can just as easily get hot and look like Lamar Jackson for a quarter or two, and rack up 3-4 quick TDs like he did versus Louisville and FSU as underthrow screens and overthrow posts. I expect him to bounce back and lay the wood on Virginia.

My one concern with him, besides his long ball accuracy, is his lack of awareness of the press DB during his lateral passes. Those guys read him several times and had one easy interception but could have had at least two more, which could have turned into pick 6s. He's got to watch those

No one was really expecting us to go to the playoffs this year but we expected to do better against Clemson.

The real problem in the entire ACC is who is going to convince their seniors to stay one more year or the draft eligible players to stay. Obviously I doubt that sunshine and Travis stay.

But do you really expect the outcome of that game against Clemson to be as lopsided as it was if only the two best players in cfb aren’t there?
Two!! Just 2 players made that offense look unstoppable. Dabo struck gold 2 times at qb and somehow convinced a 1st round rb to stay and play during a pandemic while our 1st rounder bounced.

A lot of these teams are full of upperclassman that have no draft grade. However they can be serviceable and are actually starting. So some acc teams might be like a Wisconsin full of fourth and fifth year seniors.
Remember Clemson won a chip with a team that didn’t have that much nfl talent in it. But they had it at the right place.

The closest Kirby ever got to sniffing a ****le was with a team full of seniors And most of them never made the league. That one season has set up their recruiting classes till this day.

So while the ACC teams might have some draft picks there aren’t a lot of first or second round ones. Those are likely to leave unless they’re on an elite team like Clemson which keeps most of theirs.
And we can agree that we have a better chance against any team including Clemson next year with their 5 stars all over the oline and another year under the same system with Phillips and bolden. Just like we would’ve been a better line this year with Rousseau.

As far as pit with Pickett, anything is possible and we can’t compare the outcome of this game to see how we would be with him. Maybe the game plan is different. Maybe we actually perform better because we have more film on him than Yellen.

So yes there are deficiencies on both offense and defense. But I’d rather tackle those deficiencies with older stronger and more experienced players. Than players that barely got snaps or freshman.

Advertisement
D Money asking a question that only flies on a Miami CFB board. Is this a serious question?! Oklahoma, LSU, PSU, Michigan, etc... are clearly in the next tier(s).

When you've played in 1 BCS bowl in the past 16 years you're nowhere near just one tier away from the big boys.

I don't think we're quite ready to take on that next tier down. But we're pretty close. And on good days we could win against them. I'd say we're 2a, not 2. Somewhere between Top 10-15. There aren't a lot of teams that are recognizably differentiated from us right now.

I’m talking this season. LSU is 1-2 with losses to Mississippi State and Missouri. Oklahoma is 1-2 with losses to Kansas State and Iowa State. The other two haven’t played yet.

People overuse the word “average” without any consideration of the rest of the country.

The real problem in the entire ACC is who is going to convince their seniors to stay one more year or the draft eligible players to stay. Obviously I doubt that sunshine and Travis stay.

Miami has a bigger problem in player retention than everyone else in the ACC.

How many of the following Miami players leave when they could stay: King, Jordan, Harris, Phillips, Bolden, Silvera, Hall, Blades? I have ZERO confidence in Manny convincing most of them, if not all of them, to return.

I’m talking this season. LSU is 1-2 with losses to Mississippi State and Missouri. Oklahoma is 1-2 with losses to Kansas State and Iowa State. The other two haven’t played yet.

People overuse the word “average” without any consideration of the rest of the country.
We're in a thread talking about how lucky we were Pitt's starting QB was injured. We'd most likely be in a dogfight against teams like UK and SCAR. We haven't taken a significant leap from years past. We're average.

Advertisement
Back