Fireside Chat with The Living Legend

Even the stats are skewed.

Dude please stop embarrasing yourself. Directly from the NCAA 2019 website:

Georgia was ranked 50th not 14th at 30.8 ppg last season.
Texas A&M was ranked 62nd not 19th at 29.5 ppg last season.
Utah State was ranked 63rd not 2nd at 29.3 ppg last season.

Your point, like your stats are total horse ****.

Now go away doofus.
Boned.

Advertisement
Maybe Manny will realize there may be other ways to generate pressure and TFLs that don’t seem to always require giving up gashing plays. Bring in new coaches with other ideas, and more experience. Or at least stop the delayed blitzes.

Blitz the linebackers more and secondary less. Play the slot and te physically.

Use more Cover 2 zone in obvious passing situations. Go back to the game a few years ago against Virginia when Jaquan got the pick 6. That was a cover 1 with Jaquan freelancing. On another play, we ran a Tampa 2 look and SMOTHERED Virginia’s receivers. The D line was all over the qb because there was no cheap yards to be had throwing over the head of a blitzer.

I have not seen much of that look since and it baffles me because it fits our personnel so well and WORKS. We could smother teams with that. Bolden and Hall deep halfs. Blades and Ivey pressing and dropping into the buzz zone area. Striker drops into deep middle instead of the mike. Mike and will take intermediate/ short middle. You can trick teams and jump into man 1 at the snap with a safety coming down into robber.

It will work because of the pass rush. Qbs despise taking hits from our guys. We bail them out giving them space on predictable blitzes.

Manny should gamble on his defensive line more. I think he will be surprised how disruptive they can be.

I'm not a big fan of our defense. Never have been a huge fan of Manny's defenses. I'm not letting him off the hook. Instead, I'm just taking the realistic approach in saying that this is his defense, and it's going to be his defense as long as he's here. So, unless he gets the boot, this is what we're going to be doing on D.

We can either keep squawking about it on every play, or just accept it and hope our O, when combined with a good but not great D can raise us up. I think with a great O we can win big with this D with better CBs and LBs. We can get those better CBs and LBs if we get rid of Rump and start winning more. Baby steps. Let's win the Coastal several times and start recruiting better on D.

I would rather him choke on some frog legs than to just accept this defense as it is today. Baker sucks. Patke sucks. Rumph sucks. Banda sucks. And the DL coach might be past his prime. We are not a fundamentally sound defense. We just gave up 6 yards per carry to a 3-star back from the great city of Cocoa.

Fix this ***** now!

Use more Cover 2 zone in obvious passing situations. Go back to the game a few years ago against Virginia when Jaquan got the pick 6. That was a cover 1 with Jaquan freelancing. On another play, we ran a Tampa 2 look and SMOTHERED Virginia’s receivers. The D line was all over the qb because there was no cheap yards to be had throwing over the head of a blitzer.

I have not seen much of that look since and it baffles me because it fits our personnel so well and WORKS. We could smother teams with that. Bolden and Hall deep halfs. Blades and Ivey pressing and dropping into the buzz zone area. Striker drops into deep middle instead of the mike. Mike and will take intermediate/ short middle. You can trick teams and jump into man 1 at the snap with a safety coming down into robber.

It will work because of the pass rush. Qbs despise taking hits from our guys. We bail them out giving them space on predictable blitzes.

Manny should gamble on his defensive line more. I think he will be surprised how disruptive they can be.

Tru, I always thought having a dominant front four (at least in terms of pass rushing) meant you could be simpler in terms of just rushing those four upfront and mixing up basic coverages on the back end. I get that more teams are spread and having more guys go out into routes, but sometimes it just seems like we do complicate things needlessly. Also with so much shotgun nowadays, delayed blitzes are really useless vs veteran QB's in my view that have any football IQ

Advertisement
This , as usual Miami fans are stuck in the past. Defense is almost impossible nowadays, then mix in a spread uptempo offense. There’ll be more opportunities with possessions and shorter drives because of the quick scores. Plus Lou has a great o.
Your point is well taken but fans calling for a much better defense aren't necessarily living in the past. Nobody that watches the game today truly thinks that we can have some Sonny Lubbick 11 pts a game juggernaut. What we do want and what this team needs is to be the best they can be in the context of today's wide open scoring orgies.

We need to address to gaping hole at CB and find a way to play to our strengths on a consistent basis. The constant mindless and gratuitous blitzing and playing soft zone behind it setting up a virtual pitch and catch clinic by the offense is just plain asinine! We regularly sit back and allow any WR to be high school wide open on any in cutting route.

I don't have a problem living and dying with the pros and cons of the Diaz system. The issue is Baker isn't capable of running that system to its true potential. In this game your defense is going to get beat but my problem is that on many of these defensive calls by Baker we are not even attempting to challenge the play.

I'm very happy about this win and right now I am pumped by the direction of this program seeing where we were 1 to 2 years ago. Diaz made the moves he had to make and he made them well, real well. The Lashlee effect on the offense? Check! The addition of Borregalles? Check! Getting a mature experienced playmaker and leader at QB? Check! Enhancing the recruiting operation while galvanizing the program by adding Ed Reed and guys like Telly Lockette? Check! Seeing the early results of these moves in recruiting as evidenced by the commitments of giants like James Williams and Leonard Taylor both super blue chip elite 5 star national recruits who we supposedly had no chance at getting because Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Georgia and every other elite level program had the red carpet super star treatment all laid out for them? Check! Those are boss like moves and we should all be super pumped and excited about them and what they truly mean/signify.

We still have a few move hurdles to clear in the next off-season and those will most likely be...

Closely evaluating the Defensive Staff and upgrading it.

Having the cojones to part ways with Baker and some position coaches even if they are personal friends.

Manny needs to make a great DC hire. It doesn't have to be a household name like Brett Venables. It does have to be a substantive hire that can have a similar effect to what Lashlee has had in offense.

This a subpoint of the above but crucially important. Address the CB situation in the short term by aggressively going after the best player/s possible through the portal or Junior College or whatever.

Figure out which position coaches on defense to fire or reassign. Rumph, Patke and Baker should all be on the block. It's not personal it's business.

It is all about improving the team in any way you can so there should be no sacred cows. Think about getting a better DL coach in terms of coaching and developing. Stroud has done an excellent job on the trail but we could move him to a role in the recruiting department and bring in a better position coach. Stroud was originally hired to an administrative role so maybe he is best suited to that. Nothing against Stroud. I'm just making the point that we should always be looking to improve.

That's basically it in a nutshell. There is a very positive energy going through this program right now. I am more optimistic than I have been in a very long time. We have made great strides in one off-season that we should all be proud of. What we need to focus on now apart from having the best season possible is to finish the job.

The excuses for our inept defense are fugging EPIC!!

Have a seat. Just for a fugging moment. Have a seat and peep the defensive stats. If YOU couldn’t see it live. If you don’t know what you’re watching... Just browse the fugging stats. #44 is credited with ONE(?) tackle and ONE(?) sack.

LMAO. Bro. He’s our starting MLB. 😭🤮😭🤮😭🤮😭

GOOD GAWD. I have been a fan for more than three decades and I have never seen that stat line for a starting linebacker at Miami.

The opposing team had a RB carry the ball 27 times - and our starting MLB tackled him ONCE?

Bruh.

Baker is a HORRID LB COACH. Horrid.

Ok...proceed with the “it’s the year 2040 and our defensive personnel can’t be expected to tackle opposing 3-star RBs....” trash.

I watched every LSU game last year, and there's no false narrative. They were far from a "dominant" defense. They were good, and they were opportunistic. Dominant? No, and they didn't have to be because they were absolutely dominant on offense.

You know as well as anyone that football shouldn't be analyzed in a vacuum. If you can dominate on offense and play good, opportunistic defense, you can win championships. The most recent national champion proved that.

I agree with you in principle.... I happen to think that we aren’t nearly as well coached as LSU was/is on defense. They weren’t dominant. But their defense wasn’t smoke and mirrors either... and their back seven was much better coached. We’re not even on the same planet in comparison to their defensive staff. We don’t have the same level of talent either. But we can clearly see that we have fundamental Coaching issues on defense. We don’t even line up properly at times.

We don’t have to face LSU’s 2019 schedule. So we can certainly make it to the ACC championship with our current defense. But at the end of the day I think we’re just going to get exposed when we play a championship caliber team.

Your post is excellent and also raises the question - Why the **** would he not do this?

Or why hasn't he? Is it arrogance?

Advertisement
The excuses for our inept defense are fugging EPIC!!

Have a seat. Just for a fugging moment. Have a seat and peep the defensive stats. If YOU couldn’t see it live. If you don’t know what you’re watching... Just browse the fugging stats. #44 is credited with ONE(?) tackle and ONE(?) sack.

LMAO. Bro. He’s our starting MLB. 😭🤮😭🤮😭🤮😭

GOOD GAWD. I have been a fan for more than three decades and I have never seen that stat line for a starting linebacker at Miami.

The opposing team had a RB carry the ball 27 times - and our starting MLB tackled him ONCE?

Bruh.

Baker is a HORRID LB COACH. Horrid.

Ok...proceed with the “it’s the year 2040 and our defensive personnel can’t be expected to tackle opposing 3-star RBs....” trash.

geez, that is amazing, I didn't even notice that. I mean, they played a team that runs the ball plenty, and a MLB just by being out there should have at least 10 tackles by accident. Here I thought I only noticed the plays he missed -- I didn't even recognize the plays all the others he had no part off

If this conversation is going to turn to LSU’s defense, let me tell you what IS dominant about it: Stingley, Jr.

They have a preseason 1st team AA. A top 10 guy that takes away half the field. We have middle of the road ACC CBs.

We need an influx of talent at CB and LB to really see what this defense can be.

Even the stats are skewed.

Dude please stop embarrasing yourself. Directly from the NCAA 2019 website:

Georgia was ranked 50th not 14th at 30.8 ppg last season.
Texas A&M was ranked 62nd not 19th at 29.5 ppg last season.
Utah State was ranked 63rd not 2nd at 29.3 ppg last season.

Your point, like your stats are total horse ****.

Now go away doofus.

looks like they list 2019 stats through Jan 2019... oops. Either way, only you get to cherry pick it seems. Whining and claiming others are cherry picking while cherry picking only a few teams is disingenuous...

Clemson #4 offense
OU #6 offense

You are still factually incorrect that LSU was torched by every good offense they faced. Now **** off.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree with you on Jennings, he over pursued & took a bad angle on that 4th & 1 run & he routinely gets swallowed trying to shoot the wrong gap.

A lot of those cutback stretch Zones get so many initial yards because Jennings doesn't have the feet or the hips to flip & shed to get back to his gap, once he's committed to going in one direction that's where he's going whether the runner is there or not lol.

IMO he's basically a less talented & slower Shaq Quarterman.

Brooks is the real deal, he's our fastest LB & recovers better than any of them, the issue he's having is he's playing to what Baker is asking of him, he needs to be allowed to roam & react freely, he's a Patrick Queen/Kenneth Murray style backer but we have him playing strict assignment ball where he can't really do what he does best which is run & hit.

Aside from the CB depth, the most annoying thing about our Defense is how we use our LB's & the personnel groupings we go with at LB. We have DL rotation figured out & Safety as well, but with LB it's a crap shoot from week to week.
I’m interested to hear from guys like you about the LBer play and what should be different. I agree it is way below the Miami standard. One thing I’m noticing is the spacing at the snap of the ball. Often times they will have both LBers and the striker in what looks like some type of stack formation where their almost shoulder to shoulder. When teams run into the a gaps it creates a real log jam and we get hurt when the runner bounces it out. Also it limits the LBers to cover TE and RBs on out breaking patterns into the flats. Seems like a little spacing would go a long way.

Hilarious. TFC wants everybody to focus solely on the win and forget the real issues with the team.

They just beat a team that will probably finish .500 and he writes a long dissertation on why we should embrace this mediocre team.

Not even the Miami greats think much of this squad. Don’t believe me. The next time you hear somebody like R Hill on the radio ask him his opinion.

As usual, ***-e-skr shows up to put down the Canes...

looks like they list 2019 stats through Jan 2019... oops. Either way, only you get to cherry pick it seems. Whining and claiming others are cherry picking while cherry picking only a few teams is disingenuous...

Clemson #4 offense
OU #6 offense

You are still factually incorrect that LSU was torched by every good offense they faced. Now **** off.

Lmao.

Advertisement
Yeah, those non scorchings are pretty funny.

JFC take your L like a man dude.

You completely botched the basis for your argument and looked like a fool. Before that I posted ANOTHER half dozen games where pedestrian offenses scored a ton of points agains them.

Doubling down on your nonsense only makes you look dumber. Move on dude, it's ok.

Why is it that every idiot on this board can see that our blitzes never work and yet the coaches continue to call them?

I had hopes that Jennings would be okay at LB, he's dashed those hopes, he's just not good enough. Love Phillips game, kid knows he is playing for a salary next year, he's been truly dominant, let's hope that knee is okay.

Lashlee has been a God send, his play calling was brilliant on Saturday and love his intensity and passion. That game should give the offense confidence as we face tougher D's down the road

I’m interested to hear from guys like you about the LBer play and what should be different. I agree it is way below the Miami standard. One thing I’m noticing is the spacing at the snap of the ball. Often times they will have both LBers and the striker in what looks like some type of stack formation where their almost shoulder to shoulder. When teams run into the a gaps it creates a real log jam and we get hurt when the runner bounces it out. Also it limits the LBers to cover TE and RBs on out breaking patterns into the flats. Seems like a little spacing would go a long way.
I’m not LCL, but you hit on the first biggest issue. Our pre snap alignment leaves us at a disadvantage off rip. Our alignment makes it easy for the OL to pick off our LBs. That might be part of why we blitz our DBs so much? Might be Baker/Diaz way of compensating for the leverage we give up pre snap? Also when teams refer to “stack”, the are referring to the LBs lined up directly behind the DTs or DEs.

Our D scheme kind of reminds me of my scheme we ran in HS expect for my HS would get gashed up the middle, Miami gets gashed off tackle. It was a 3-3-5 stack D (think Rich Rods West Virginia D, not Patterson at TCU). In our D the Striker was called a Rover. The Rover lined up outside shoulder on an in-line TE, and split the difference between the OT and slot WR against no TE sets. The Dlines first responsibility was to grab cloth and hold up the olineman from getting to the second level, but because of our alignment (DEs lined head up over OTs, LBs stacked the DEs, and a NG head up over the C, leaving the OGs uncovered), OGs always had a easy free release to beeline straight to the LBs who the scheme relied on to stop everything.

And I said all of that to say Jennings still had a bad game. An issue I seen constantly with him Saturday is he wasn’t playing his gap and his instincts were bad. It’s not that he wasn’t fast enough, it’s that he would get caught in the wash, then instead of still trying to get to his gap or widen his angle, he would try and undercut the play or shoot the closest gap to him and that 4.3 Hawkins would run right by him as he makes a diving attempt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back