NFL Fins make multiple 1st round trades

At #6, give me Chase, Pitts or Sewell. Smith is a good enough player to get picked there but I lean toward size at that point in the draft.

There is a lot of Dolphins buzz around Smith, though, and he is a personality fit.

FWIW - Ja'Marr Chase only measured at 6'0" at the pro day. 41" vertical and 11" broad. That obviously shows up on tape. Should be getting other results within the hour, but he looks like he's killing the pro day.

How many round one corners, current and future starters in the NFL has this man made his adopted son on the field? When you've beaten all-conference, round one corners like he has, and not just for a highlight or two, but beating them like drums all game long in numerous scenarios (not just running free on a vertical...but contested catches, creating separation after the ball is in the air, handplay, etc)...I can not doubt him doing the same in the NFL. If he were 6'3" he'd be on Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones tier of WR prospect.

Smith is so good at the craft of being a wide receiver and has been so good for so long among 3 other Round 1 WRs...I can't doubt him either.

Advertisement
FWIW - Ja'Marr Chase only measured at 6'0" at the pro day. 41" vertical and 11" broad. That obviously shows up on tape. Should be getting other results within the hour, but he looks like he's killing the pro day.
Chase is still what I'd consider big. He's a good 20-30 pounds over the Alabama guys with tremendous play strength and big hands.

Really strong and explosive through his legs which we can see with the jumps.

Chase is still what I'd consider big. He's a good 20-30 pounds over the Alabama guys with tremendous play strength and big hands.

Really strong and explosive through his legs which we can see with the jumps.

I've called him Ja'Marr Chase a new Michael Irvin a few times on this forum. I think he's a stud.

It kinda makes sense if you're building around Tua and running a ton of boot action, RPOs and play action crossers. Waddle is better at that stuff than Chase whose game is more about winning 1on1 on straight dropbacks.
I think Chase can do that stuff well. He is built like a RB in the legs and just ran a 4.38. He won't straight out-run people like Waddle but he has juice after the catch.

The other part is that there are way more dynamic-type WRs later in the draft than ball-winners. There are guys like Elijah Moore, Amari Rodgers, Dyami Brown, D'Wayne Eskeridge, Jaelon Darden and Marquez Stevenson available on Day 2s and 3.

Advertisement

source.gif

Grier and Flores have stated they aren’t crazy about anyone who opted out.

While that is believable, it’s highly likely it’s pure smokescreen. Especially with how many freakish talents opted out. (Sewell, Chase, Rousseau, etc.)

Flores worked under Belichick over a decade, he isn’t going to show his hand. With that said Chase opted out, Waddle was trying to still play before he was ready with his lower leg injury. You’d have to think Waddle got brownie points for that.

Take Chase if he’s there at 6, if not, Pitts or trade back again and get Waddle/Smith.

If they do go WR/Pitts with their first pick, they gotta go Edge at #18 (JP15, Rousseau, Paye). I cannot fathom Flores spending both 1st rounders on offense, it’ll be one and one. This draft is *** deep at OT. No reason to take one in the first with how deep it is at that position on top of taking two last draft. They do need a Center which they can grab in the 2nd or maybe even in the 3rd round. RB I’d love to see them grab Williams from Carolina if he’s there at #36, personally I think he’s just as good as Najee and would put him over Etienne.

Everything Miami needs, is where this draft is deep with the exception being RB, gotta pray one of those top 3 is around early 2nd. There is no excuse not to knock this draft out of the park.

WR/EDGE/RB/Center/LB

Get it done!

Last edited:
Advertisement
If your first two picks are OL and WR in some combination, wouldn't it make more sense to go Sewell at 6 if he is there and then best WR at 18? Sewell is coming out as one of those once in a decade OL.
We have so many options and yet we don't have so many options because of those **** teams picking in front. I wish they would tell us their plans before this things starts so we can adjust too lol. I like Sewell too but we are drafting so high there is the opportunity you don't get often to trade back for future 1st and/or 2nd round picks while still getting impact players.

For me, the only thing that crosses my mind is what players never really get let go in their primes...You always see WR part ways so we are able to pick them up like Fuller this year so...

I am in on Pitts at 6 because he is on a different level. If he is gone, I trade back and pick the best WR available or go with Parsons. You then get an impact player and high round future picks.

At 18 I take the best WR available (Bateman?) if you drafted Parsons, but if you drafted a WR you can trade back again and grab your edge rusher or OT.

If your first two picks are OL and WR in some combination, wouldn't it make more sense to go Sewell at 6 if he is there and then best WR at 18? Sewell is coming out as one of those once in a decade OL.
I am tired of Miami perpetually drafting linemen. I'll reluctantly tolerate the second first rounder with the 18 pick, but I want an elite skill position player that will produce touchdowns.

The amount of draft resources we've spent at that position in the last two decades versus skill players is astonishing:

Offensive Linemen Drafted in First, Second, and Third Round:
2000: 2nd Rounder Todd Wade
2002: 3rd Rounder Seth McKinney
2003: 3rd Rounder Wade Smith
2004: 1st Rounder Vernon Carey, gave up a 2004 2nd round pick to select Taylor Whitley in the 2003 3rd round
2007: 2nd Rounder Samson Satele
2008: 1st Rounder Jake Long
2010: 3rd Rounder John Jerry
2011: 1st Rounder Mike Pouncey
2012: 2nd Rounder Jonathan Martin
2013: 3rd Rounder Dallas Thomas
2014: 1st Rounder Ja'Wuan James, 3rd Rounder Billy Turner
2016: 1st Rounder Laremy Tunsil
2019: 3rd Rounder Michael Dieter
2020: 1st Rounder Austin Jackson, 2nd Rounder Robert Hunt

So to sum:
6 first rounders, 5 second rounders, and 6 third round picks

Meanwhile, what did Miami do at wide receiver since 2000 in the first three rounds?
2001: 2nd Rounder Chris Chambers
2006: 3rd Rounder Derek Hagan
2009: 3rd Rounder Patrick Turner
2014: 2nd Rounder Jarvis Landry
2015: 1st Rounder Devante Parker
2016: 3rd Rounder Leonte Caroo

So a 1st rounder, 2 second round picks, and 3 third round picks. Completely underinvested at the position, and then wondered why Tony Sparano was nicknamed "Field Goal Tony" when he couldn't move the ball.

Grier and Flores have stated they aren’t crazy about anyone who opted out.

While that is believable, it’s highly likely it’s pure smokescreen. Especially with how many freakish talents opted out. (Sewell, Chase, Rousseau, etc.)

Flores worked under Belichick over a decade, he isn’t going to show his hand. With that said Chase opted out, Waddle was trying to still play before he was ready with his lower leg injury. You’d have to think Waddle got brownie points for that.

Take Chase if he’s there at 6, if not, Pitts or trade back again and get Waddle/Smith.

If they do go WR/Pitts with their first pick, they gotta go Edge at #18 (JP15, Rousseau, Paye). I cannot fathom Flores spending both 1st rounders on offense, it’ll be one and one. This draft is *** deep at OT. No reason to take one in the first with how deep it is at that position on top of taking two last draft. They do need a Center which they can grab in the 2nd or maybe even in the 3rd round. RB I’d love to see them grab Williams from Carolina if he’s there at #36, personally I think he’s just as good as Najee and would put him over Etienne.

Everything Miami needs, is where this draft is deep with the exception being RB, gotta pray one of those top 3 is around early 2nd. There is no excuse not to knock this draft out of the park.

WR/EDGE/RB/Center/LB

Get it done!

If it were just a smokescreen, it seems like an oddly specific and humiliating smokescreen to spread about a guy you would eventually want to welcome to your team.

I will laugh (in pain) if the Dolphins bypass Sewell, Chase, and Rousseau, and then those guys go on to have great NFL careers.

I am tired of Miami perpetually drafting linemen. I'll reluctantly tolerate the second first rounder with the 18 pick, but I want an elite skill position player that will produce touchdowns.

The amount of draft resources we've spent at that position in the last two decades versus skill players is astonishing:

2004: 1st Rounder Vernon Carey, gave up a 2004 2nd round pick to select Taylor Whitley in the 2003 3rd round

So to sum:

Meanwhile, what did Miami do at wide receiver since 2000 in the first three rounds?

So a 1st rounder, 2 second round picks, and 3 third round picks. Completely underinvested at the position, and then wondered why Tony Sparano was nicknamed "Field Goal Tony" when he couldn't move the ball.

Every one of those 3rd round WRs...TERRIBLE.

Phins need to pick a WR by the second round, or else not even try.

Advertisement

So to sum:

I agree that we need explosiveness. I am just saying its easier to find an impact WR at 18 than an impact OT that is a once a decade prospect. We do need explosiveness but Tua also needs time to throw. The bigger issues on both of those lists are the **** evaluations and high number of busts. If you hit on more of those OL, you wouldn't have to spend that many picks on it. Especially interior OL in the top 3 rounds.

Curious about his splits. From different videos, the pop on his 4.44 40 seemed a bit more pronounced than the pop on Chase's impressive 4.38 40. Of course, the fact he's 6' 6" helps in perception. Dude is an unreal athlete who actually happens to be really good at football. Cot****.

Advertisement
I think Chase can do that stuff well. He is built like a RB in the legs and just ran a 4.38. He won't straight out-run people like Waddle but he has juice after the catch.

The other part is that there are way more dynamic-type WRs later in the draft than ball-winners. There are guys like Elijah Moore, Amari Rodgers, Dyami Brown, D'Wayne Eskeridge, Jaelon Darden and Marquez Stevenson available on Day 2s and 3.
Waddle is a ballwinner too though. He's already shown he can track and adjust to Tua's errant hospital balls.

Don't fall for the unofficial Pro Day times. Some of them are way off and most are at least slightly optimistic. This is a frame-by-frame time for Chase:

Pitts 4.53 with build-up speed not 4.44 lol.

I love Eskridge he's a beast.

Waddle is a ballwinner too though. He's already shown he can track and adjust to Tua's errant hospital balls.

Don't fall for the unofficial Pro Day times. Some of them are way off and most are at least slightly optimistic. This is a frame-by-frame time for Chase:

Pitts 4.53 with build-up speed not 4.44 lol.

I love Eskridge he's a beast.

My friend. You are the leader of #PittsHive, so I give this to you in good faith.

Ex1AcJ7WQAAzdOh

200.gif

As for Chase's time...low 4.4's is probably what he is. Last year, Justin Jefferson ran a 4.43 at the combine and they are about the same kind of straight line athlete per spring times, etc. per LSU fans.

This isn't about Pro Day adjustments. I'm not doing that. RAS is down slightly this year which doesn't indicate there's a testing bump. The Pro Day time adjustments is a misnomer based on a track record of better athletes testing well at the combine then skipping those same events at pro days. The athletes who test poorly at the combine will naturally try to improve their results at pro days.

I'm not saying guys run faster at pro days I'm saying the unofficial scout times are generous. I trust the frame by frame analysis which is far less prone to human error. If you wanna buy into the Jalen Reagor 4.2 hype or Kyle Pitts 4.4 hype or whatever be my guest. Trust the school-reported "official" times like Jalean Phillips 4.56 or whatever not 4.46.

Pitts plays like a 4.5 buildup speed guy on tape. He's not as fast as Justin Jefferson on a football field or on a track.

Advertisement
Back