Finishing 3rd in the ACC Standings means what Bowl Game ?

Advertisement
If Miami wins out and gets into the Orange bowl, why is everyone assuming it will be against Florida? I f Florida loses to Bama in the SEC Championship game, doesn't the SEC have a tie in to the Sugar Bowl?
bec TAMU with 1 loss and a h2h against UF would get the SEC bid to Sugar. UF would be an at large bid to Orange.

If Miami ends up 10-1 and in the Orange Bowl against UF, will Diaz get any credit for being a good coach?

Advertisement
you do know that stadium is the site the last Miami bowl game win right?.. I was there watching them beat WV and it was an awesome game

I recall getting trounced by Louisville and losing to Wisconsin on a frigid night there too. Was at both and WV games. Yes, it is a sh1thole stadium regardless.

4 teams get in.
Miami is 10th with 3 games to play including 1 vs ranked UNC.
There are 127 teams that have played games in 2020.
UGA is the only team ahead of us that doesn't play a ranked game.

That long list of 9 teams ahead of us will drop if Miami wins out.
It's all about bowl affiliation. Texas a&m gets suger bowl vs at large , miami get orange bowl vs at large. Fiesta is b12 vs at large and rose Ius pac 12 champ vs big ten champ if the champ doesnt make it to playoffs

Advertisement
If Miami wins out and gets into the Orange bowl, why is everyone assuming it will be against Florida? I f Florida loses to Bama in the SEC Championship game, doesn't the SEC have a tie in to the Sugar Bowl?
Yes, the Sugar Bowl has an affiliation to the SEC, but this year they're hosting a CFP semi-final game. Thus Florida would likely be in the Orange Bowl if they lose to Alabama.

Should Florida beat Alabama, and Clemson beat ND, things get muddy if Ohio State can get to 7-0. You'd have:

OSU 7-0
Alabama 9-1
Florida 9-1
ND 9-1
Clemson 9-1

We need Clemson to beat ND to secure the Orange Bowl spot assuming ND would still make the playoffs with one loss.

bec TAMU with 1 loss and a h2h against UF would get the SEC bid to Sugar. UF would be an at large bid to Orange.
The Sugar bowl is a playoff game this year. The top ranked non-playoff SEC/Big Ten team goes to the Orange Bowl vs the top ranked non-playoff ACC team. My bet would be Miami-Texas A&M. CFP rankings are strange but they aren’t moving 2 loss UF ahead of 1 loss A&M, after A&M beat UF this season.

Yes, the Sugar Bowl has an affiliation to the SEC, but this year they're hosting a CFP semi-final game. Thus Florida would likely be in the Orange Bowl if they lose to Alabama.

Should Florida beat Alabama, and Clemson beat ND, things get muddy if Ohio State can get to 7-0. You'd have:

OSU 7-0
Alabama 9-1
Florida 9-1
ND 9-1
Clemson 9-1

We need Clemson to beat ND to secure the Orange Bowl spot assuming ND would still make the playoffs with one loss.

If ND misses the playoffs (I think there is a decent chance they get jumped by TAMU if they get crushed by Clemson), I wonder if the OB could be Miami vs ND. (one of the 2 teams gets the at large) I'd love that matchup by maybe the bowl agreements would prevent it.

"The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC versus the highest ranked available team, from the B1G, SEC, or Notre Dame.

When the Capital One Orange Bowl hosts a College Football Playoff Semifinal we will host either the 1st ranked team vs. 4th ranked team or the 2nd ranked team vs. the 3rd ranked team in the final CFP rankings."

So it seems like Miami-ND isn't out of the question. If ND gets crushed by #4 and Bama beats UF, then it's possible ND drops to #5. Playoff lineup would be Bama, OSU, Clemson, TAMU; ND as the #5 would be the next highest, but I don't know if they would just count as the regular ACC rep since they have two ways to get in (as the ACC rep or because ND has a separate agreement with the OB)

Last edited:
If ND misses the playoffs (I think there is a decent chance they get jumped by TAMU if they get crushed by Clemson), I wonder if the OB could be Miami vs ND. (one of the 2 teams gets the at large) I'd love that matchup by maybe the bowl agreements would prevent it.

"The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC versus the highest ranked available team, from the B1G, SEC, or Notre Dame.

When the Capital One Orange Bowl hosts a College Football Playoff Semifinal we will host either the 1st ranked team vs. 4th ranked team or the 2nd ranked team vs. the 3rd ranked team in the final CFP rankings."

So it seems like Miami-ND isn't out of the question. If ND gets crushed by #4 and Bama beats UF, then it's possible ND drops to #5. Playoff lineup would be Bama, OSU, Clemson, TAMU; ND as the #5 would be the next highest, but I don't know if they would just count as the regular ACC rep since they have two ways to get in (as the ACC rep or because ND has a separate agreement with the OB)
I'm good with ND or UF. If ND beats Clemson, we're out of the Orange Bowl. So, rooting for Clemson to beat ND.

Advertisement
I'm good with ND or UF. If ND beats Clemson, we're out of the Orange Bowl. So, rooting for Clemson to beat ND.

Bro, I don't think you need to worry about ND beating Clemson with TL in Charlotte. Clemson is going to brutalize them so badly that the ACC preemptively sent ND HIPAA release forms for their dental records so the coroner can identify their bodies.

Bro, I don't think you need to worry about ND beating Clemson with TL in Charlotte. Clemson is going to brutalize them so badly that the ACC preemptively sent ND HIPAA release forms for their dental records so the coroner can identify their bodies.
They didn't lose the game because Lawrence wasn't there. Their backup QB threw for over 400 yards.

Advertisement
They didn't lose the game because Lawrence wasn't there. Their backup QB threw for over 400 yards.

You may be right, but being a QB is more than about total yards. You'll see the difference between Trevor Lawrence and DJ in a couple of weeks. With those 400 yards, how many TDs would you think DJ threw for? 4? 5? He threw for a grand total of 2 TDs. That's 14 points.

A good general stat for QB play is 3rd down conversions. If a QB isn't converting on third downs, it's gives the opposition too many extra opportunities to score. Clemson was 4 of 15 on 3rd down, with an average of 7.1 yards (meaning a pass is highly likely). Of course, with the talent Clemson has at WR, they can strike fast to make it up, but that means they will being playing catchup the whole game. And no surprise- that's exactly how the game went.

Then there are little details a QB does that matter too. By far, the most important, an experienced QB doesn't take two sacks in a row in OT. I don't think there is any chance TL would have been sacked twice in a row in OT, to end the game. He's way too experienced and savvy for that. Second, there are just things that involve lots of reps and familiarity like when/where the QB places the ball when he hands it off to the RB. You can laugh and say that's unimportant and irrelevant, but the reality is that RBs do actually notice a difference between QBs. Etienne and DJ were not on the same page. Etienne fumbled a handoff and then mishandled a pitch. That gifted 2 TDs to Notre Dame.

To better illustrate what I mean: look at this 21 second mark on this video. The pitch is mid chest level, where the RB doesn't have to break stride or reach up to get the pitch.

Then look at the pitch here in the Clemson game:

I don't think Etienne was expecting the pitch to be helmet high. Let me be clear, I'm not saying DJ was totally responsible for that fumble- of course a guy as talented and experienced as Etienne should have been able handle that. But you have to agree that there is a difference between pitching the ball perfectly in stride and a QB pitching the ball helmet high. Etienne spent three years working with TL and knowing exactly where the ball is going to be, a little difference like that in how a QB executes a pitch could lead a big mistake (which it did).

Anyways, the only way to really know which one of us is right is in the ACC championship. If ND plays a close game again, then clearly you were right. I'm confident though that Clemson is going to body ND.

Advertisement
Back