Finally getting Pope the ball in space

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pope is progressing , needs to be a focal point. At minimum 5 catches a game
He coming off a injury..not injury but was hampered..if pope doesn’t have 10 targets..Thomas doesn’t have 10 targets..Brevin doesn’t have 10 targets and Deejay doesn’t get 20 carries fire the OC..This that CIS logic at work
1570896086948.gif

He coming off a injury..not injury but was hampered..if pope doesn’t have 10 targets..Thomas doesn’t have 10 targets..Brevin doesn’t have 10 targets and Deejay doesn’t get 20 carries fire the OC..This that CIS logic at work
View attachment 99258
Definitely got too many cooks in the kitchen right now lol.

Last edited:
View attachment 99258
Pope>Thomas

Focus on Three players like the Cowboys, 49'ers, and other great teams used to. Alabama did it up until the last year or two. Jordan, Pope, and DJ. Leave JT 4 to fair catching punts on the 3 yard line.

Advertisement
One of these days a QB is going to hit him in stride.
... and he actually comes down with it. That was a big drop last night, and one of the few really gorgeous balls Perry threw.

But yeah, thought Mark had a very solid game. Loved seeing him open the engine up on that one he almost broke down the sideline. He seemed very locked in last night. It was good to see. Feed the kid!

Needing to hit K.J. Osborn when he's open by 5+ yards wayyyy downfield should actually be a bigger priority than targeting Pope more- a kid that has shown zero consistency in actually holding onto balls that are completely catchable.

But but but he was a 5 star, right?

Advertisement
Needing to hit K.J. Osborn when he's open by 5+ yards wayyyy downfield should actually be a bigger priority than targeting Pope more- a kid that has shown zero consistency in actually holding onto balls that are completely catchable.

But but but he was a 5 star, right?

Problem imo is, Mark Pope has more room for error on a QB throw. i.e. Osborn, he doesn't have that extra gear to where you can throw it away from a defender by 6 yards and he'll catch up to it (most of his awesome plays are perfectly thrown balls in tight windows that he catches like a champ). See also: the fade route on the redzone.

Pope does, but he's just not at that level of consistency yet.

Pope>Thomas

Focus on Three players like the Cowboys, 49'ers, and other great teams used to. Alabama did it up until the last year or two. Jordan, Pope, and DJ. Leave JT 4 to fair catching punts on the 3 yard line.
Right now, Pope, KJ and Brevin are all better receivers than Jeff Thomas. I was very disappointed in what I saw on that first potential TD that got dropped. Not because he dropped it (it's tough to adjust on the fly to a tipped ball like that) but because when I watched the replay, the ball was terribly thrown and should have been picked, you could see with Jeff's body language in slo mo that he recognized that and just kind of let himself continue drifting back on his route those last couple steps instead of lunging at that **** DB and doing everything he could to break it up. Then when the DB didn't make the play, it looked to me like JT4 was downright surprised the ball had come through, which is why he was so slow to react and it hit him in the chest, literally. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that jumped off the screen to me when I saw that replay. Like he had mentally given up on the play figuring it was an INT. If that's the case, that is ******* awful! Really telling, in a bad bad way.

Hopefully I smoked too much last night and this was all just in my imagination.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Right now, Pope, KJ and Brevin are all better receivers than Jeff Thomas. I was very disappointed in what I saw on that first potential TD that got dropped. Not because he dropped it (it's tough to adjust on the fly to a tipped ball like that) but because when I watched the reply, the ball was terribly thrown and should have been picked, you could see with Jeff's body language in slo mo that he recognized that and just kind of let himself continue drifting back on his route those last couple steps instead of lunging at that **** DB and doing everything he could to break it up. Then when the DB didn't make the play, it looked to me like JT4 was downright surprised the ball had come through, which is why he was so slow to react and it hit him in the chest, literally. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that jumped off the screen to me when I saw that reply. Like he had mentally given up on the play figuring it was an INT. If that's the case, that is ******* awful! Really telling, in a bad bad way.

Hopefully I smoked too much last night and this was all just in my imagination.
I thought that too on that first drive.

Problem imo is, Mark Pope has more room for error on a QB throw. i.e. Osborn, he doesn't have that extra gear to where you can throw it away from a defender by 6 yards and he'll catch up to it (most of his awesome plays are perfectly thrown balls in tight windows that he catches like a champ). See also: the fade route on the redzone.

Agree, but to me they are very different. One is a burner with big play potential and the other is a blue collar work horse receiver whose strength is having consistent solid fundamentals. Both great to have, but two totally different weapons so they're hard to compare. Kind of like Santana and Reggie.

That's fair and good analysis. I'm alllll for Pope developing and becoming more of an asset as he obviously has shown glimpses of the potential. I just think the kid would still have a large swath of CIS screaming the same even if he'd have shown nothing so far just based on his star rating.

View attachment 99258

We have too much talent to be struggling to move the ball and score....

simpletons like you and other CIS trogs see it as we expect Bilentkoff award winners at WR and Heisman numbers at RB when all were saying is if their doubling Brevin you have JT4 and KJ to throw too.... if your running game gets lame duck get your QB some zone read keepers

Too much high level talent to go 3 quarters like we did last night having less than 50yarda total

Advertisement
Back