Final Visit list this weekend (5/5)

Advertisement
Mammarelli is stil on roster and think he said he was gunna leave. Michael Redding could leave. Some Olineman like Chris Washington or Michael McLaughlin or Ryan Rodriguez. And wouldn’t be surprising if like a Brashard Smith or Malike Curtis transfered out either.

We are getting close on numbers but don’t think it’s anything too difficult to solve
The portal window is closed.
And where did Mammarelli say he's going to leave?

Advertisement
Am I one of the few here who thinks it’s wrong to pull a kid’s scholarship while attending and trying to complete his education and degree? l’m sure there are others. If he sucks, it was a bad eval on us likely. I know there are outliers but for the most part I’m not a fan of that.

I definitely think it's wrong to pull the scholarship. However, I believe the new rules are more protective of the ongoing education, though kids may still choose to go elsewhere TO PLAY.

For instance, Colorado offered all 63 "cut" players the chance to remain on scholarship. Not sure many will stay at CU for "school-only", though.

Funny how names of TE's keep popping up. McCormick addition seemed odd, then out goes Brantley. McCormick seemingly a redundant skill set with Mammarelli onboard🙄.

I definitely think it's wrong to pull the scholarship. However, I believe the new rules are more protective of the ongoing education, though kids may still choose to go elsewhere TO PLAY.

For instance, Colorado offered all 63 "cut" players the chance to remain on scholarship. Not sure many will stay at CU for "school-only", though.
Aren’t a number conferences now using multi-year, four or five-year scholarships? Instead of renewing annually? I was under the impression the intent was prevent cutting players or otherwise forcing them out to open up a scholarship.

Advertisement

Yeah, that’s fine then. No guarantee they’ll pan out in football but making sure they have the benefit of finishing out their education/degree(s) is what my concern is.

Funny how names of TE's keep popping up. McCormick addition seemed odd, then out goes Brantley. McCormick seemingly a redundant skill set with Mammarelli onboard🙄.
Maybe injuries are a thing that happens and we want multiple guys with the same skill set?

Advertisement
Or "retire due to injury". Or some other option.

And I have to crack up every time a poster says "Ragone". As I've pointed out, he was a walk-on who was given a scholarhip that is renewable (or non-renewable) on an annual basis. But then some message board genius will pull up an article where some coach said "Ragone will have his scholarhip forever" and act as if that is a binding contract on UM. The reality is that Ragone is far enough along in his studies where he could EASILY qualify for a scholarship to a UM graduate program. And before people act like that's an impossibility, let's not forget that Ragone was an unrecruited walk-on.

So, yes, we are not bound by NCAA rules and Letter of Intent legalities when it comes to how we handle Ragone's scholarship.

I don't have an issue with having one or two scholarship guys that can set a work ethic example for others. Sometimes it can be helpful to have a hard working bench player a coach can point to and tell a much more talented player, "You are lucky that he doesn't have the god given athletic ability that you do, because he's out there giving 100% on every play and if he had half your talent he'd take your job in a heartbeat. "

Aren’t a number conferences now using multi-year, four or five-year scholarships? Instead of renewing annually? I was under the impression the intent was prevent cutting players or otherwise forcing them out to open up a scholarship.

Yes, often multi-year for recruited players. Guys who sign LOIs.

Walk-ons still 1-year renewable.

Advertisement

We will be running 12 personnel though, have to have two capable of blocking if injuries occur. Otherwise we're limited the playbook as the result of one injury.

Advertisement
Back