Final prediction on Head Coach....

Advertisement
Butch, who I'd be fine with. If it is him, I think we'd be in the championship hunt a couple years, anyway...And I think we'd get at least one more ring...and lots of NFL talent in the pipeline...

However, I'd be fine with any high quality candidate.

The main point is someone who can win championships...

You keep forgetting that J. l. Smith was already on staff when they made him the interim coach. You don't ask Butch Davis to come in and coach a team that doesn't even run his defensive scheme. And people really overrate how much time a coach needs to make an impact in recruiting. McElwain was able to get Scarlett, Calloway, Jefferson & Ivey. And finish second to Auburn for Cowart. If the high school recruit knows who the coach is, he is far more willing to commit to his vision. Scarlett thought he could be the next Trent Richardson with McElwain.

To some degree I'll agree that lots of time isn't required to build a solid class. However, the more time the better - especially if it's someone that the players have little knowledge of (and doesn't warm up to people quickly)...

If it's Butch, I'm not concerned. He's a heavy hitter in evaluation and recruiting and will find big-time players after signing day anyway....

If the new HC turns out to be a well-established known entity, he'd also be able to get a solid class without as much time needed - especially since Florida (and even more south Florida) is loaded with talent everywhere and in possibly every high school in the state....

You keep forgetting that J. l. Smith was already on staff when they made him the interim coach. You don't ask Butch Davis to come in and coach a team that doesn't even run his defensive scheme. And people really overrate how much time a coach needs to make an impact in recruiting. McElwain was able to get Scarlett, Calloway, Jefferson & Ivey. And finish second to Auburn for Cowart. If the high school recruit knows who the coach is, he is far more willing to commit to his vision. Scarlett thought he could be the next Trent Richardson with McElwain.

Advertisement
Butch.... Soon I hope, recruiting will start to suffer after today, other coach's going to use EVERYTHING against us.

Advertisement
No he wasn't.

He had left the school to coach at some small program in Montana or 1 of the Dakotas.

I use Smith because he resigned from that job to take the Arkansas job on an interim basis. He, literally, left another HC job to take the Arkansas job with no promise of getting the job.

If Butch really offered to take the job as interim HC after Golden was removed, the fact that they said "no" has meaning, IMO.

I believe it will be Dan Mullen.

I heard it was Schiano's job to lose when Golden was first fired.

But I believe they had more interest than they thought they would get, and getting a 2nd crack at Mullen won't result in another miss.

I never thought Cristobal was a legit option. We'd hire Kiffin, first, IMO.

And at the risk of stirring the BBB crowd ... I believe he would already be hired if he was getting the job. Either by being announced or as the interim HC.

... Barry Alvarez was interim HC for Wisconsin. And Arkansas hired John Smith to be interim HC after Petrino was fired.

If Butch was getting the job, the transition would have been much easier to let him finish the season. He would have only needed 2 wins to get bowl eligible. And he would have gotten a jump start on evaluating the roster and recruiting.

Butch is not getting the job.

The BBB crowd will be disappointed. But, hopefully, they'll throw their full support behind Mullen.

Side note: Mullen didn't make the situation any easier by losing this last game. Much easier to hire a guy who finished 9-3, with 2 straight wins, than a guy at 8-4, who lost his last game.

But hey!! He finished .500 in the SEC.

The admin will sell that as success, and the masses will receive it!

We just have to make sure he gets a new DC!!!

Disagree with the logic that if Butch was going to be hired, he'd be hired already. They are completely doing this like a normal coaching search. They're looking at all the candidates, doing their due diligence, and after interviews they will make their decision. I don't think the timing means Butch won't get the job. Definitely agree that They'd hire Kiffen before Cristobal. But I'm also not sure I believe Schiano was ever really in first place.

If the rumors of Butch asking to be the interim HC are accurate, then it suggests they didn't want to be in a situation where they would be forced to give him the job. So, IMO, he's not a legit candidate.

If he were, what's the harm in giving him the interim job? If they were completely open to him being a legit candidate, you give him the interim title (same as Arkansas did with Smith), and you continue your search. Butch is a candidate, as are other guys.

Butch does well, or the interest in the job is weak, then you keep Butch.

You find a candidate you prefer more, you pay Butch and thank him, and move on.

Now, it may be that Butch never offered his services. But I find it hard to believe that he has lobbied for the job as hard as he has, and didn't.

And we can agree to disagree on the timing. But my HR people tell me you never wait to hire the best/right candidate ...

I never hear any rumor about Butch asking for the interim gig. Seems like that decision was made with the decision to fire Al. Seems to me that Butch was a long shot at first. Then he met with the CEO of UHealth and everything changed. Personally, I think Frenk has his hand in this more than is being let on. I think he want to win AND separate himself from Donna. The delay gives me pause but testing for other options makes sense since feelings were bruised before and others might not being pushed around by our air force.

In the end, I think it is Butch because he is the best choice at this moment. The noise about Chip was the only real danger to Butch because of the huge splash he would make. But Mullen would bring the same DNA altering danger that Chip carries without the big splash, so I think the memory of Al trying to change Miami instead of returning Miami eliminates Mullen.

I believe it will be Dan Mullen.

I heard it was Schiano's job to lose when Golden was first fired.

But I believe they had more interest than they thought they would get, and getting a 2nd crack at Mullen won't result in another miss.

I never thought Cristobal was a legit option. We'd hire Kiffin, first, IMO.

And at the risk of stirring the BBB crowd ... I believe he would already be hired if he was getting the job. Either by being announced or as the interim HC.

... Barry Alvarez was interim HC for Wisconsin. And Arkansas hired John Smith to be interim HC after Petrino was fired.

If Butch was getting the job, the transition would have been much easier to let him finish the season. He would have only needed 2 wins to get bowl eligible. And he would have gotten a jump start on evaluating the roster and recruiting.

Butch is not getting the job.

The BBB crowd will be disappointed. But, hopefully, they'll throw their full support behind Mullen.

Side note: Mullen didn't make the situation any easier by losing this last game. Much easier to hire a guy who finished 9-3, with 2 straight wins, than a guy at 8-4, who lost his last game.

But hey!! He finished .500 in the SEC.

The admin will sell that as success, and the masses will receive it!

We just have to make sure he gets a new DC!!!

Yet another uninspiring option. Please just do the right thing and lock up either Patterson, Butch, or Herman for the love of God.

Advertisement
Nostalgic return to the days of old: Hire Randy Shannon

Need fresh blood: Hire Al Golden

Be significant and compete for championships: Hire Butch Davis. Again.

Advertisement
My Prediction: Lane Kiffen
Who I want: 1a) Chip Kelly 1b) Butch Davis 1c) Hue Jackson
Realistic Worst Case Scenario: Greg Schiano or Mario Cristobal

Kiffen is definitely worse than Schiano and possibly worse than Mario. At least with Sciano we'd get a nasty defense.

Completely false, and with Kiffen we'd get a good offense. Schiano is literally Al Golden but way the **** more annoying. Granted better coach as a whole, but he belongs at like Syracuse or Maryland or something, NOT Miami.

get a good offense? you mean the one who handed it to the same guy 46 times yesterday. Kiffin is a ****.

Advertisement
Back