Final prediction on Head Coach....

My Prediction: Lane Kiffen
Who I want: 1a) Chip Kelly 1b) Butch Davis 1c) Hue Jackson
Realistic Worst Case Scenario: Greg Schiano or Mario Cristobal

Kiffen is definitely worse than Schiano and possibly worse than Mario. At least with Sciano we'd get a nasty defense.

Completely false, and with Kiffen we'd get a good offense. Schiano is literally Al Golden but way the **** more annoying. Granted better coach as a whole, but he belongs at like Syracuse or Maryland or something, NOT Miami.

Schiano is literally Al Golden? LOL!! Look! I don't want the chimp here either but the Golden comparison is an insult to Schiano! They both have defensive backgrounds but the difference is that Schiano can actually field a good defense and he's not afraid to come right at you. Golden on the other hand is a color by numbers ****** who would have absolutely no clue at all if you took away his Al Groh playbook.

Advertisement
I believe it will be Dan Mullen.

I heard it was Schiano's job to lose when Golden was first fired.

But I believe they had more interest than they thought they would get, and getting a 2nd crack at Mullen won't result in another miss.

I never thought Cristobal was a legit option. We'd hire Kiffin, first, IMO.

And at the risk of stirring the BBB crowd ... I believe he would already be hired if he was getting the job. Either by being announced or as the interim HC.

... Barry Alvarez was interim HC for Wisconsin. And Arkansas hired John Smith to be interim HC after Petrino was fired.

If Butch was getting the job, the transition would have been much easier to let him finish the season. He would have only needed 2 wins to get bowl eligible. And he would have gotten a jump start on evaluating the roster and recruiting.

Butch is not getting the job.

The BBB crowd will be disappointed. But, hopefully, they'll throw their full support behind Mullen.

Side note: Mullen didn't make the situation any easier by losing this last game. Much easier to hire a guy who finished 9-3, with 2 straight wins, than a guy at 8-4, who lost his last game.

But hey!! He finished .500 in the SEC.

The admin will sell that as success, and the masses will receive it!

We just have to make sure he gets a new DC!!!

But I believe they had more interest than they thought they would get, and getting a 2nd crack at Mullen won't result in another miss.

And at the risk of stirring the BBB crowd ... I believe he would already be hired if he was getting the job. Either by being announced or as the interim HC.

... Barry Alvarez was interim HC for Wisconsin. And Arkansas hired John Smith to be interim HC after Petrino was fired.

If Butch was getting the job, the transition would have been much easier to let him finish the season. He would have only needed 2 wins to get bowl eligible. And he would have gotten a jump start on evaluating the roster and recruiting.

The BBB crowd will be disappointed. But, hopefully, they'll throw their full support behind Mullen.

Side note: Mullen didn't make the situation any easier by losing this last game. Much easier to hire a guy who finished 9-3, with 2 straight wins, than a guy at 8-4, who lost his last game.

Disagree with the logic that if Butch was going to be hired, he'd be hired already. They are completely doing this like a normal coaching search. They're looking at all the candidates, doing their due diligence, and after interviews they will make their decision. I don't think the timing means Butch won't get the job. Definitely agree that They'd hire Kiffen before Cristobal. But I'm also not sure I believe Schiano was ever really in first place.

Advertisement

Disagree with the logic that if Butch was going to be hired, he'd be hired already. They are completely doing this like a normal coaching search. They're looking at all the candidates, doing their due diligence, and after interviews they will make their decision. I don't think the timing means Butch won't get the job. Definitely agree that They'd hire Kiffen before Cristobal. But I'm also not sure I believe Schiano was ever really in first place.

If the rumors of Butch asking to be the interim HC are accurate, then it suggests they didn't want to be in a situation where they would be forced to give him the job. So, IMO, he's not a legit candidate.

If he were, what's the harm in giving him the interim job? If they were completely open to him being a legit candidate, you give him the interim title (same as Arkansas did with Smith), and you continue your search. Butch is a candidate, as are other guys.

Butch does well, or the interest in the job is weak, then you keep Butch.

You find a candidate you prefer more, you pay Butch and thank him, and move on.

Now, it may be that Butch never offered his services. But I find it hard to believe that he has lobbied for the job as hard as he has, and didn't.

And we can agree to disagree on the timing. But my HR people tell me you never wait to hire the best/right candidate ...

Advertisement
Advertisement
The issue with a lot of these targets is assistants pay.

With Butch, you get moneynfreed upntonhire the assistants.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back