Final 247 Recruit Rankings

Clemson is ridiculous. They got 2 5 star DEs, a 5 star DT, and the #8 DE.

Not even the crazy fing thing about their DL next year. They talked three guys into staying, two of them were sure fire 1st rounders. So these 5* DL dudes will sit behind the 5* DL dudes they got last year who will sit behind the NFL players returning to play for 'free' (maybe the NFL would be a paycut?)

Carolina's are insane for DL though, would love a guy who would specialize in recruiting the Carolina's. (So much lineman talent, center of ACC territory, easy sell)

Advertisement
It not really a bias to our fan base, but most of those services lean toward rating guys higher based on subscriptions for said fan base. Miami doesn't have the amount of subscribers that those other places do.

I've seen this logic and it's dumb every time. If the goal was to rank players in such a way that would encourage new subscribers, you'd want to target the fan bases where subscriptions are lower because that's your greatest opportunity. You're not maximizing the potential for the highest number of new subscribers if your target customer is the same fan base over and over. Everything in life isn't binary, but it's easier (for some) to think in those terms because they want to serve a conjured narrative that sounds fun. Spoiler: There is no outright bias for any team in a way that's meaningful by any service.

Ha ha ok. Which service do you work for? I've seen it many times over the years. Kid gets bumped once he receives an offer from a certain school. Which if they were actually evaluating players they would just bump a kid after he gets an offer.

Look, if a kid is a 2* early, then saban offers him wouldn't you want to reevaluate? Is it likely that saban is that wrong about a kid, or that the ratings people maybe overlooked a kid? saban's the fcking devil, but he's pretty good at judging talent so when he thinks highly of a kid and you don't, guess who I'm going with?

Now, maybe they get the bump without a reevaluation- maybe the services just assume the kid is better than they first thought, but they're probably right more often than not.

That's my point. If Saban offers then kid gets an immediate bump. Where was the evaluation? I would understand if the re-evaluate a kid after getting an offer, but not just because he got an offer. The rankings are nice and all but none of the services are worth much in my book.
No doubt the services are not infallible and definitely fail more so at the fight in the dog but definitely very good at size of the dog. Still, 5 stars overtime have outperformed much like first rounders higher percentage of success etc

It not really a bias to our fan base, but most of those services lean toward rating guys higher based on subscriptions for said fan base. Miami doesn't have the amount of subscribers that those other places do.

I've seen this logic and it's dumb every time. If the goal was to rank players in such a way that would encourage new subscribers, you'd want to target the fan bases where subscriptions are lower because that's your greatest opportunity. You're not maximizing the potential for the highest number of new subscribers if your target customer is the same fan base over and over. Everything in life isn't binary, but it's easier (for some) to think in those terms because they want to serve a conjured narrative that sounds fun. Spoiler: There is no outright bias for any team in a way that's meaningful by any service.

Ha ha ok. Which service do you work for? I've seen it many times over the years. Kid gets bumped once he receives an offer from a certain school. Which if they were actually evaluating players they would just bump a kid after he gets an offer.

Look, if a kid is a 2* early, then saban offers him wouldn't you want to reevaluate? Is it likely that saban is that wrong about a kid, or that the ratings people maybe overlooked a kid? saban's the fcking devil, but he's pretty good at judging talent so when he thinks highly of a kid and you don't, guess who I'm going with?

Now, maybe they get the bump without a reevaluation- maybe the services just assume the kid is better than they first thought, but they're probably right more often than not.

That's my point. If Saban offers then kid gets an immediate bump. Where was the evaluation? I would understand if the re-evaluate a kid after getting an offer, but not just because he got an offer. The rankings are nice and all but none of the services are worth much in my book.

Your statement of "I would understand if the re re-evaluate a kid after getting an offer, but not just because he got an offer" seems a little contradictory to itself.

Receiving certain offers in college football signal to these evaluators that the true pros at this have completed the initial leg work, and are desired by top tier programs that can have their pick of anyone in the country. Seems pretty logical frankly, until they start to believe that their own recruiting gurus actually know more about these kids than the coaching staffs.

I watched tons of reps at the army practices.

While josh belk is good their isn’t any planet by which he is better right now than Nesta Silvera.

I think these go by projections more now then hs production....if it went based on hs production Duke would been a 7 star. I think they go by explosiveness measurables length speed and what they can become. For instant if Brevin Jordan was 6'5 245 he would be a 5 star cause he has everything else. Some sites are wrong about high rated guys and some are wtong about under rated guys. I usually go by what schools are putting the full court press on a certain guy...because every highlight film looks good in hs.

And its why u heard pete said a couple weeks ago miami is doing things quietly. If u sat in a meeting room n im coaching at miami and we r doing evals lets say u r looking at a prospect u dont like n move on from him then come to find out saban comes to see that target u have to give him a second look. So theres alot of things that factor into the rankings. Other schools see who we offer as well because we should know everything about sfla n its why we got to do 007 ****.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The idea that any or all of the services "are horrible for our guys" is a ridiculous take. Every fanbase thinks their players are undervalued. Yeah, there are fair gripes (Mallory, for example), but overall, they rate on who they see and ultimately, how hard they push for said players in their meetings. There isn't any conspiracy against us, despite what anyone on this board wants you to believe.

247 has just about 8,000 high school recruits listed for 2018. You've gone and analyzed everyone of their offers such that you can definitively conclude every kid who gets an offer from School A gets a bump and every kid who commits to School B gets dropped immediately thereafter? Have you published this analysis? Would probably drive a deeper discussion on what's actually happening. Can you link it? Can't wait to read and examine your data.

Or, and I'm just spitballin' here, maybe there are a few cases you've followed where that appears to be the case. But, when dealing with the totality of every recruit, what you feel happens and what actually happens very often differs when you review the facts.

Ha ha okay Mr. 247. These site bill themselves as having in depth analysis of recruits, but what you're saying is they just go off the offers? So they are basically only good for keep track of recruits not actually ranking them.

I clicked on the link and saw Al Blades Jr. is #220 . Is this supposed to be a serious list? If so that's an embarrassing evaluation.

Well the good news is Woodbey finally lost his 5th star. It was a joke that he had one to begin with. That boy is slow as molasses.

The 247 rankings are horrible for our guys. A ton of 4 stars in the composite ranking, but 3 stars according to 247. For example Reed and Mallory, which apparently have over 500 recruits ranked higher. And Davis which apparently has over 400 recruits ranked higher.

And doesn’t 247 uses its own rankings in the composite? It’s a joke

Advertisement
The ratings are bunk and so and so recruiting site is disrespecting us. The best site for accurate recruit rankings is theyhaveourguysrankedhigherthisyear.com

Signed,

Subject to change affinity for said recruiting website next year based on whichever ranks us highest.

Advertisement
Back