Film Room: Our Defense Under Blake Baker

RedPill Stepdad

graduated from hungry, and made it to greedy.
This is a good breakdown of what to expect our defense to look like under Blake Baker. I personally love the fact that we will run the 4-2-5 as our base defense (which Manny did often). The 4-2-5 is the best D to defend against the spread offense that most of college football runs today.

Check out the article here

Advertisement
DE: Garvin, Nesta, Bethel, Rousseau
LB: Shaq, Pinckney
CB: Bandy, Ivey, Finley
S: Carter, Hall

Obviously a lot of these guys are unproven but I think they will be studs. The only weak spot in my opinion is Bethel. Hopefully the light comes on for Ford or we can find a good grad transfer.

On that first play he shows a gif, the HB isn't uncovered. The nickel has the seam first and the flat second. That defense wants the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly and then rally up and make the tackle before the 1st down. That part wasn't a blown coverage.

The second play was not a strip sack. The QB had an RPO, pulled the ball from the HB and then went to pass and the ball slipped out of his hand and he dropped it onto the ground. The ball was supposed to come quickly over the MOF and he had him. The QB just dropped the ball.

Third play is Cover-2, WR is open in the honey spot. QB tries to throw it too flat and the ball comes off the open receivers hands into the CB's.

I appreciate the work that goes into doing a film review. It's time consuming, it's arduous, and it's open to interpretation a lot of times.

Obviously a lot of these guys are unproven but I think they will be studs. The only weak spot in my opinion is Bethel. Hopefully the light comes on for Ford or we can find a good grad transfer.
Don't forget Blades. He has shown his abilities and played this year. He will do good for us.

Advertisement

Bethel should not be a starter. He just doesnt have the size to play the run.

On that first play he shows a gif, the HB isn't uncovered. The nickel has the seam first and the flat second. That defense wants the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly and then rally up and make the tackle before the 1st down. That part wasn't a blown coverage.

The second play was not a strip sack. The QB had an RPO, pulled the ball from the HB and then went to pass and the ball slipped out of his hand and he dropped it onto the ground. The ball was supposed to come quickly over the MOF and he had him. The QB just dropped the ball.

Third play is Cover-2, WR is open in the honey spot. QB tries to throw it too flat and the ball comes off the open receivers hands into the CB's.

I appreciate the work that goes into doing a film review. It's time consuming, it's arduous, and it's open to interpretation a lot of times.

What did you do or do you do to know so much?

I saw someone say not to rule out Bethel switching to the offensive side of the ball to utilize his 4.3 speed. Would be great of our next OC to get him the ball in space.

Advertisement
I saw someone say not to rule out Bethel switching to the offensive side of the ball to utilize his 4.3 speed. Would be great of our next OC to get him the ball in space.
I'm talking about Pat Bethel our DT, not Nigel.

Yeah I shared this to give everyone a general feel on what to expect our defense to look like, not really the specifics, bc like u said, they can be interpreted differently.

Starting lineup is solid and should be a top 3 defense in the ACC. Depth is scary at DL. Need some grad transfers there badly.

Advertisement
Starting lineup is solid and should be a top 3 defense in the ACC. Depth is scary at DL. Need some grad transfers there badly.

Nesta is going to absolutely dominate. He plays with that edge. His teammates voted him the meanest player on the field at one of the All-American camps.

It was a poorly written article in my opinion

Not exactly the '85 Bears. That DL is very concerning, Bethel is a liability to me, we'll see how Nesta develops, combine that with an inexperienced secondary and our new DC has some serious work to do.

Advertisement
Not exactly the '85 Bears. That DL is very concerning, Bethel is a liability to me, we'll see how Nesta develops, combine that with an inexperienced secondary and our new DC has some serious work to do.

Crazy how much we are going to miss GW9

Simpson:

Garvin
Silvera
Patchan
Bethel
Rousseau
Ford
Joyner
Miller
Harvey
Blissett
Martin
Munoz
Holley
Williams

Baker:

Quarterman
Pinckney
McCloud
Jennings
Steed
Brooks

Patke:

Finley
Wilder
Huff

Rumph:

Bandy
Ivey
Blades
Frierson
Bethel
Couch

Banda:

Carter
D. Smith
Hall
K. Smith
Knowles

Nesta is going to absolutely dominate. He plays with that edge. His teammates voted him the meanest player on the field at one of the All-American camps.
He needs at least 2 more moves and get better at slipping. If I were him, I'd watch Gerald Willis film from now till Spring. Then practice it. He won't be as good as Willis was for us this year, but we need RJ Mcintosh Junior Season level production, at least.

Then we need a minor miracle leap to happen at our other DT spot.

Advertisement
Back