Film Room: Our Defense Under Blake Baker

Yeah I'm not sure they were very successful the last few seasons. If the strikers are sent it might be more successful. Don't know stats on that.

Seems to be running mostly 4-2-5, yeah? Zones get eaten up, though.

Advertisement
Hmmm so that's how these incredible rumors get started....must be a typo error

Cmon Rev a 6-3 285lb.DT running a 4.3 40 ......that would have been National ESPN type of news!! ....BUT it didn't even make our own press releases.....probably because it never happened.

Bethel is fast for a DT....BUT not anywhere close to WR/DB fast

IF I'm wrong...I'll gladly apologize.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: , he is talking about Nigel Bethel, not Pat Bethel.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: , he is talking about Nigel Bethel, not Pat Bethel.

🤔Ooooops Sortry IF thats the case.

Seems I wasn't the only one fooled if you read the entire thread

So IF thats the case...sorry my bad..always man enough to admit it when I'm wrong......So I gladly apologize😝🤗

Last edited:
Advertisement
DE: Garvin, Nesta, Bethel, Rousseau
LB: Shaq, Pinckney
CB: Bandy, Ivey, Finley
S: Carter, Hall

Obviously a lot of these guys are unproven but I think they will be studs. The only weak spot in my opinion is Bethel. Hopefully the light comes on for Ford or we can find a good grad transfer.

The light has already come on for Ford - this Spring - when Ford's light came on - everyone on the field thought a supernova exploded just outside Greentree. Nope. It was Ford.

Nesta is going to absolutely dominate. He plays with that edge. His teammates voted him the meanest player on the field at one of the All-American camps.

I'm kinda hoping that near-homocidal bent is contagious and rubs off on everyone on defense.

I love it when they got blood in one eye, and **** in the other! No sunshine.

Yeah if we can get Nesta to bottle up his aggressive tendencies and funnel that out on the opposing team’s OL and skill players, it could become infectious to the other DL in particular the other DT’s. I’m of the same feeling that Nnoruka starts along with Ford at the other DT. The Garvin and Hill the other starters at DE. We all know who the LB/Striker starters will be, the give me Ivey and Bandy at the CB spots followed by Carter and Hall at safety positions. Blades will come in to play CB as well, shifting Bandy to nickel to cover the slot receiver and take that action away. My only concern Week 0 are Floriduh’s wideouts. If we don’t converge on Franks quick enough he will have time to get the ball out deep. It’s going to be imperative that Baker disguise his blitzes well, and only utilize them when needed. We don’t need to revert back to circa 2016 when Manny was blitzing 75% of the time. Trust the S&C improvements made by Feeley and staff, and know that you have access now to greater talent and players Baker had at La Tech. Hopefully he’s been really keeping an open mind and absorbing a ton from Diaz relative to the players and their strengths so we can maximize them, while masking our weaknesses.

Advertisement
He needs at least 2 more moves and get better at slipping. If I were him, I'd watch Gerald Willis film from now till Spring. Then practice it. He won't be as good as Willis was for us this year, but we need RJ Mcintosh Junior Season level production, at least.

Then we need a minor miracle leap to happen at our other DT spot.

Lol..right. To **** with an edge..he needs to play with leverage, technique & keep his dumb *** emotions in check.

In that South Carolina video there are many times in which the edge rushers are standing up/ leaning in the old Lawrence Taylor stance. And on a few occasions three interior linemen making it look like an old 3 -4 scheme.
Very interested to see how much of that we see this year and which players will be utilized best in that sorta setup.

On that first play he shows a gif, the HB isn't uncovered. The nickel has the seam first and the flat second. That defense wants the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly and then rally up and make the tackle before the 1st down. That part wasn't a blown coverage.

The second play was not a strip sack. The QB had an RPO, pulled the ball from the HB and then went to pass and the ball slipped out of his hand and he dropped it onto the ground. The ball was supposed to come quickly over the MOF and he had him. The QB just dropped the ball.

Third play is Cover-2, WR is open in the honey spot. QB tries to throw it too flat and the ball comes off the open receivers hands into the CB's.

I appreciate the work that goes into doing a film review. It's time consuming, it's arduous, and it's open to interpretation a lot of times.
That break down you just gave definitely scares me with so many open people. So how do you think he is as a play caller or will be?

Advertisement
GROWN *** MEN are what's needed when you open up against a team like Florida.

For ***** & gigs, allow me to propose a starting lineup featuring 9 seniors and 41 years of combined experience.

DE Hill SR 5
DT Bethel SR 4
DT Nnoruka SR 5
DE Patchan SR 5
LB McCloud SR 4
LB Quarterman SR 4
LB Pinckney SR 4

CB Bandy JR 3
SS Finley SR 4
FS Knowles SR 5

CB D. Smith JR 3

Super Subs (24 years of combined experience):

DE Garvin JR 3
DT Ford JR 3
DT Silvera SO 2
DE Rousseau FR 2
LB Frierson FR 2
LB Joyner FR 2
LB Huff FR 1
CB Ivey SO 2
SS Carter JR 3
FS Hall SO 2
CB Blades SO 2

GROWN *** MEN are what's needed when you open up against a team like Florida.

For ***** & gigs, allow me to propose a starting lineup featuring 9 seniors and 41 years of combined experience.

DE Hill SR 5
DT Bethel SR 4
DT Nnoruka SR 5
DE Patchan SR 5
LB McCloud SR 4
LB Quarterman SR 4
LB Pinckney SR 4

CB Bandy JR 3
SS Finley SR 4
FS Knowles SR 5

CB D. Smith JR 3

Super Subs (24 years of combined experience):

DE Garvin JR 3
DT Ford JR 3
DT Silvera SO 2
DE Rousseau FR 2
LB Frierson FR 2
LB Joyner FR 2
LB Huff FR 1
CB Ivey SO 2
SS Carter JR 3
FS Hall SO 2
CB Blades SO 2

While I concur that experience is a great equalizer along with talent, any starting lineup that features Robert Knowles in it can’t be taken seriously. If he plays ST’s he played too much in a game to me. Kid just doesn’t have what it takes to be a Cane on the field, let him eat when we are blowing teams out and get his shine that way. But come 8/24 I don’t want him starting back at FS.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back