Film Room: Our Defense Under Blake Baker

He needs at least 2 more moves and get better at slipping. If I were him, I'd watch Gerald Willis film from now till Spring. Then practice it. He won't be as good as Willis was for us this year, but we need RJ Mcintosh Junior Season level production, at least.

Then we need a minor miracle leap to happen at our other DT spot.

I've stayed quiet on the subject, but you are right. We need an addition at DT in the worst way. Nesta was a true freshman, so you can't really expect him to play at a starting player level, but he was not very good this year when he played. Ford was poor. Bethel is a rotational player.

One of these players needs to be the alpha at that position because if teams get to our LB's in the defensive system we run, we will be giving up 200-yard rushing games on the reg.

Advertisement
I've stayed quiet on the subject, but you are right. We need an addition at DT in the worst way. Nesta was a true freshman, so you can't really expect him to play at a starting player level, but he was not very good this year when he played. Ford was poor. Bethel is a rotational player.

One of these players needs to be the alpha at that position because if teams get to our LB's in the defensive system we run, we will be giving up 200-yard rushing games on the reg.
Yessir. Add a 3rd DE to my concerns. Patchan can be a really solid #4 in a top DL unit. We need a #3. If I'm the coaching staff, I'm working the grad transfer market really hard for both. How we missed on so many DTs in the last two cycles is beyond my understanding. How did we fail to sell all the flash and production a DT gets to put on his resume in this defense? Odd stuff.

DT recruiting has been ***. Only upperclassman DT we are gonna have is Bethel and he was recruited as a DE

He needs at least 2 more moves and get better at slipping. If I were him, I'd watch Gerald Willis film from now till Spring. Then practice it. He won't be as good as Willis was for us this year, but we need RJ Mcintosh Junior Season level production, at least.

Then we need a minor miracle leap to happen at our other DT spot.

Of course he won't be as good as Willis for us this year. Willis is a first round type talent and I think Nesta will be too, but he is a true sophomore. He will get there with time.

Advertisement
Regarding DT, we're in trouble, and I'm not quite sure how this was allowed to happen. The crazy part is I made a comment a while back about Golden leaving us in a better situation at DT than Richt and I actually had people disagree. Baffling.

On that first play he shows a gif, the HB isn't uncovered. The nickel has the seam first and the flat second. That defense wants the QB to get the ball out of his hands quickly and then rally up and make the tackle before the 1st down. That part wasn't a blown coverage.

It didn't say the HB was uncovered, it said the WR was uncovered. Either way it was a dumb blitz, their was no "insurance" for the blitzing CB if the pass was completed...noticed quite a few blown coverages vs Mississippi St. also.

Advertisement
Finley is that dude!
Very underrated around these parts.

Blake's defense looks/performs exactly like Manny's. No surprise.
I'm sure we'll make a ton of plays but then they'll be some absolute head-scratches...and we'll occasionally get pounded on the ground.

Nesta is going to absolutely dominate. He plays with that edge. His teammates voted him the meanest player on the field at one of the All-American camps.
He better keep getting stronger. He looked like Michael Wyche on roller skates a few plays against Whisky. Not saying the talent isn't there as he dominated a few snaps as well.

It didn't say the HB was uncovered, it said the WR was uncovered. Either way it was a dumb blitz, their was no "insurance" for the blitzing CB if the pass was completed...noticed quite a few blown coverages vs Mississippi St. also.

It really did:

"That’s not the only blown coverage. To the top of the screen the back is also uncovered out of the backfield as the nickel floats towards mid-field with the Texas route from the h-back."

And I believe the CB missed a sign. You wouldn't blitz like as a SS if you were going to also blitz the CB from that side without a rotational defender. It could possibly be an overload blitz, but hoping the blitz gets there without a S to get to that side makes no sense and wouldn't be something you'd see from a successful coach.

Advertisement
"That’s not the only blown coverage. To the top of the screen the back is also uncovered out of the backfield as the nickel floats towards mid-field with the Texas route from the h-back."

Gotcha, didn't read that part.

You wouldn't blitz like as a SS if you were going to also blitz the CB from that side without a rotational defender.

I agree...back when I played, the 4-2-5 (4-4 BITD) was also referred to as a 5 Spoke Defense, the same principles apply today.

Baker said that his 2015 and 2017 defenses at La Tech are what we can expect at Miami. Says that 75% of his defense is exactly the same as Manny's.

Seems like we will throw multiple formation looks at the offense more than we have in the past. Basically the mirrored version of Enos' offense which is exactly what Manny described in his presser.

Also said that Manny is difficult to read and that sometimes people come up to Baker to ask if Manny is mad at them.

So this isn't the first time Baker has faced a Dan Mullen offense. I'd say he did pretty well considering the talent margin between the two teams. Plus Flop Franks isn't half the QB Dak is. I'm predicting at least 3 INTs Week 0.

Advertisement
Of course he won't be as good as Willis for us this year. Willis is a first round type talent and I think Nesta will be too, but he is a true sophomore. He will get there with time.

And yet Willis was a no-rounder correct?

He was good for Miami, but not top 5 in Canes history. Maybe not even top 10.

24 on LA Tech's defense from 2015 vid was a monster

And I hope we see less and less of those delayed blitzes,

Last edited:
24 on LA Tech's defense from 2015 vid was a monster

And I hope we see less and less of those delayed blitzes,
I'm fine with all of those blitzes. We actually have the speed to get there.

By far what I like most about the two films is the multiple looks he throws at the QB.

Advertisement
Back