Film Review of Syracuse Game

Advertisement
If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken more history classes as electives. It’s weird now that I’m older, and by that I mean I’ve been in the workforce for a while, I’m much more interested in history and history personalities and leadership than when I was an idiot student at UM.

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION], thanks for all the work you put into these, its a great read. There are many things that really get to me about this game. We are fortunate to have pulled this game out with the way we played. The 3rd and 25 play call was one of the most egregious in the game.

But I want to ask you about the 3rd and 2 play in the 2nd quarter at the 11:24 mark where Miami ended up kicking a field goal. Even though both Guards did get beat, it appears this play is an RPO and if Rosier throws the bubble to Berrios instead of handing it to Homer it a clear first down and continues the drive. Do you know what made him give the ball on that play instead of throwing the bubble?

Last edited:
Advertisement
For a minute there, I thought the internet was broke.

I don't have the time to read all of that, but if you enjoy it, keep at it. That's some serious dedication right there!

Good ****.

I'm hoping that Perry, Smith, and Knowles were ONLY in because of how many plays Syracuse runs and nothing else. If it was up to me those 3, Knowles especially, would straight up not play. Smith, though he missed some plays, is a major upgrade over knowles. Perry and Smith are both trash.

trajan bandy nearly outsnapped perry, mike smith, mccloud, and knowles combined (56 to 60) https://twitter.com/dgould151/status/923229923338174464

i'm not sure what else you want. when the other team runs 100 plays you're gonna have to throw guys out there.

Thats why I said they only played because it was Syracuse and they run 100 plays.

Let me put it as simply as I can - Knowles, Perry, Smith, and Owens are ******* trash, and they make our defense bad when they are in.
We absolutely need to limit their plays as much as possible.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken more history classes as electives. It’s weird now that I’m older, and by that I mean I’ve been in the workforce for a while, I’m much more interested in history and history personalities and leadership than when I was an idiot student at UM.

Just read a book or two.

We decide to pass again on the next play and it was almost disastrous. Rosier needs to be smart and just throw this ball away. Berrios runs all the way across the field in the scramble drill with Rosier as he scrambles towards the boundary.

Agree that Rosier should've thrown the ball away, but I don't think Berrios was running a scramble drill. Looked like Rosier wanted to hit em' deep, but Berrios broke off His route for whatever reason. And the deep shot was there as far as I could tell, there was no Safety.

Advertisement
Excellent job. Amazing amount of work.

Not that you would put in anywhere near the amount of this work, but it would be interesting to see any insights you might have on Notre Dame or Virginia tech coming up. Kind of a short version of the analysis you do for the canes. Obviously, you can’t do this post’s type of analysis for two different teams - just too much work. But an overview might actually be helpful to see what we can expect. Again, just wishful thinking, I know that’s a big ask.

Also, I’m not trying to be that guy, but next time, just break it up into two posts. Problem solved.

Here's the thing, it takes a LOT of work to post these. It's honestly my least favorite part of doing them. I have to load the photos one at a time and then wait for the website to return whether it works or not.

There has been a lot of feedback to make multiple posts, but to be honest, I just don't want to do more than one. By the time I get it all loaded I'm ready for a nap. It's the same amount of content, sure, but then I have to decide where to break it up to make sense etc.

The comment about the characters was really just a "hmmmm, didn't know that" type of comment.

some of our technology millenials should be able to solve the uploading issues and cut down on some of the time. there has to be a way for you to prepare everything offline in Word or otherwise and then upload it. i know some people do the same thing in video form using a pointer or something similar and tape record the audio portion onto the video portion. that might be a solution?? see link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAfRg5XY3I

thank you for including "not pictured". makes it entirely clear what play you are explaining.

regardless, you've taught me a ton about football and it shows when i watch games. i am more better edumacated watching football . thanks again for your hard and long work, it is one of the reasons that this forum is the best one in college football (together with the WEZ of course).

Last edited:
We decide to pass again on the next play and it was almost disastrous. Rosier needs to be smart and just throw this ball away. Berrios runs all the way across the field in the scramble drill with Rosier as he scrambles towards the boundary.

Agree that Rosier should've thrown the ball away, but I don't think Berrios was running a scramble drill. Looked like Rosier wanted to hit em' deep, but Berrios broke off His route for whatever reason. And the deep shot was there as far as I could tell, there was no Safety.

Looked to me like Berrios adjusted his route when Rosier was flushed from the pocket and came back to his QB as you are taught to do. When your QB is flushed from the pocket you don't stick to your route, you adjust your route accordingly.

if we have trouble defending inverted veer & similar runs, VT and ND will really put us to the test

Norte Dame is gonna run wild on our defense. We aren't built to stop that attack imo. Gonna have to outscore then and force fumbles, special teams scored, etc.

VT I'm a little less worried about because they don't have the OL or RBs that ND has. I think ND is a top 5 team right now.

Notre dame can't throw the ball. You stop Adams and you stop their offense.

Their QB is a run threat too. Plus, stopping Adams is easier said than done.

Should be a good game.

Looked to me like Berrios adjusted his route when Rosier was flushed from the pocket and came back to his QB as you are taught to do. When your QB is flushed from the pocket you don't stick to your route, you adjust your route accordingly.

Watched the play several times again, Berrios was running a square in...Rosier pulled the ball down as Berrios was several steps out of His break. Only other thing I can think of, is maybe Rosier was trying to go to Richards on a post, and Richards out-ran His arm...IDK. In any event, good thing it wasn't INT'ed.

Advertisement
Awesome job breaking this down. Once I started reading it I could not stop, was a little late to work!

The nuances described here on why a certain play was successful vs one that was not is what this game is all about. These insights really call them out and gave me a much better perspective on how we performed.

Thanks very much for posting this!

Last edited:
I disagree with this notion that ND will run all over us. They are one dimensional, and I do not believe we will be beaten by any team that cannot play balanced football.

I do not believe that you have watched them play much. While they are certainly a very very good power running team led by a horse at running back, they also have a dynamic QB Who can run RPO very effectively and they also happen to have a stud wide receiver.

I disagree with this notion that ND will run all over us. They are one dimensional, and I do not believe we will be beaten by any team that cannot play balanced football.

I do not believe that you have watched them play much. While they are certainly a very very good power running team led by a horse at running back, they also have a dynamic QB Who can run RPO very effectively and they also happen to have a stud wide receiver.

While I agree with this on principle....the QB completed 9 passes against USC. This is a Bob Griese type stat. Limit ND in the run game, they will not beat you passing.

Advertisement

While I agree with this on principle....the QB completed 9 passes against USC. This is a Bob Griese type stat. Limit ND in the run game, they will not beat you passing.

True but they were demolishing usc and running it down the throat. Just bc they didn’t throw it much doesn’t mean they couldn’t.

True but they were demolishing usc and running it down the throat. Just bc they didn’t throw it much doesn’t mean they couldn’t.

Just looked up the numbers for ND...the QB's have passed 192 times with 97 completions....for 1100 yards...a 50.5% completion rate...at 5.7 yards per attempt...9 TD's to 4 INT's...this is an average over 7 games 27 passes with 13 completions.

Not saying they can't but they'd rather run it down your throat.

Just looked up the numbers for ND...the QB's have passed 192 times with 97 completions....for 1100 yards...a 50.5% completion rate...at 5.7 yards per attempt...9 TD's to 4 INT's...this is an average over 7 games 27 passes with 13 completions.

Exactly. Syracuse can run the football, but they weren't going to beat us running the football. We took away what they do best. Same thing against GaTech. All they do is run, but their entire offense is predicate on the dive and we took that away. They found a little success on the toss, but we took that away as well. Somebody ran the numbers and from 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, GaTech ran 43 plays for 56 yards. That's shutting down the run.

Exactly. Syracuse can run the football, but they weren't going to beat us running the football. We took away what they do best. Same thing against GaTech. All they do is run, but their entire offense is predicate on the dive and we took that away. They found a little success on the toss, but we took that away as well. Somebody ran the numbers and from 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, GaTech ran 43 plays for 56 yards. That's shutting down the run.

What is ND's best play? Remove that..

Advertisement
Back