Film Review of Syracuse Game

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
These reviews are time consuming, so if you enjoy my work I would appreciate a follow on Twitter [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]. Syracuse runs a hundred plays a game, so I’m not going to screen shot every play in this one.

First play they came out in 11 personnel (one RB, one TE) and overloaded the right side of the line. We had a three-down line with Chad Thomas standing on the edge. Chad Thomas plays the read perfectly and scrapes down the line to force the QB to keep running field side to the weak side of the alignment. I think the intention of this look was for the defense to expect them to run strong-side, but Thomas stayed home. Dungey is hit behind the LOS and tackled for a loss by Kendrick Norton.
1.jpg

Next play we switch to nickel against their three-wide and play Bandy. They spread us out and run the draw. The G gets out to Quarterman, who has a tough job here. He has to understand that Redwine has the outside gap (B gap) and he is responsible for the A gap. He allows the OL to turn him towards Redwine, which opens up that middle gap far too easily. You can see the RB is behind the OL who is handling Norton here. We tried to twist our DT’s and stunt the edges and they hit us right up-the-middle, leaving Quarterman exposed to a blocker right on him. You might see McCloud and think he’s responsible for this gap, but he’s responsible for the cutback to that huge lane you see by the number 20. Gain of 24.
2.jpg

Next play is still nickel, we just have walked Redwine up to be in the box on two consecutive plays. No one releases into Quarterman’s zone and he rushes the passer and hits him as he releases it. Redwine was smart and stayed back in the middle because #6 is an eligible receiver on the play. If he comes off that block for the edge player Redwine has to roll down and cover him. Syracuse didn’t run a single route between the hash marks.
3.jpg
4.jpg

Next play, Shaq shows off his speed again as he runs down Dungey again, who has to throw it away. Bandy has been really good thus far. I was told Quarterman played poorly in this game, but thus far he’s made two impactful plays and been caught in a tough situation by a stunt.

Next play McIntosh tips a screen that we had covered (McCloud and Shaq had this played well behind the play), Demetrius Jackson makes a nice catch for the interception. Dungey showed he’s a strong dude by ripping the ball out, but Jackson really showed he is not used to handling the ball by the way he was carrying it away from his body. Cover it up young man. One thing to note on this play, Richt and Diaz both mentioned just getting lined up against the speed of the Syracuse offense. Joe Jackson barely got to the sideline before the snap and our entire defense was standing up at the snap. Got to be quick in your calls against this team.
5.jpg

Shaq plays this run very well. The C hits him and gets to McCloud for a double team but Shaq stays in his gap. Redwine does a good job staying in the cutback lane (you can tell this was beaten into his head after the last couple of games allowing plays to escape out the back end. It’s also interesting to me that we are playing Derrick Smith in man coverage so much early. He’s even played boundary corner a couple of times already.
6.jpg

Next play I think Dungey recognized it (or was told by coaches) to challenge 25 and Ervin Phillips drops the slant for a first down against Smith). Play not pictured.

On 3rd down, the announcers said this was because the receiver slipped and fell down, but no, Michael Jackson just had great coverage on the slot receiver. You can see he’s already located the ball and is going up to make the interception with the ball still halfway there as the receiver slips.
7.jpg

First down and Darling loses badly at the snap. If he holds this block at the LOS it’s a nice gain as Gauthier gets to his block on the LB and the rest of the line does their job. Darling is pushed so far back it forces Homer to take extra steps inside where he could just hit this hole at full speed and cut off Gauthier’s hip depending on what the LB does. Homer gets nine anyway, so you can really get a feel for how big of a gain that could’ve been with the LG not getting mauled.
8.jpg

Inside zone run on second down, Darling gets there just in time to turn the LB out of the hole and save the play. Rosier carries out the fake and essentially blocks #97 . Everyone else on the OL is winning their block. Darling got the block, but a step faster and the hole is huge here.
9.jpg

In this defense, it virtually has to be man with a single-high safety. Rosier knows where he’s going with this ball right from the start. If you man up on Richards, Rosier is going to look for that matchup. We hit a slant on this play for nice yardage. Your OL has to be able to handle the DL and any blitzing LB’s, while your QB has to make quick decisions and your WR’s have to win. What I like about his personnel grouping is that Homer can also motion into the backfield and still run the ball or provide an extra blocker if they threaten off the edge. The key to this personnel grouping working is familiarity and comfort. Everyone needs to be on the same page. The second picture shows you how this is textbook. Rosier has excellent footwork, is on-time and Richards wins quickly. I like how Homer flattens out and pulls the slot into coverage with him to open up the slant. Rosier actually looked at Herndon on the slant from the other side first, just to hold coverage outside, then hit Richards. Berrios is just a checkdown at the top of the screen because in an empty set the ball has to come out quickly and Rosier needs a place to go to quickly if it isn’t there at snap of the ball.
10.jpg
11.jpg

Next play we used tempo to keep them in their personnel grouping. I’d like to see us do this more often. If a team has a group of players we can exploit on the field we should push tempo and stick with it until they get a chance to change. We threw an out route to Herndon on the opposite hash. It’s interesting that we like to run this formation with Harley to the outside of Berrios and have Homer on Richards’ side. Two reasons for this: 1. Harley is an excellent blocker for bubble screens and you want to run those against corners as much as possible, rather than on LB’s/S’s like the defense will have covering Homer. 2. This gives Richards less attention and improves his options from a route perspective. You want your X running all routes and since Homer is most likely going to run only option, arrow, horizontal, wheel routes, it provides space for Richards to operate.

On second and 6 we used the same formation again, this time we ran a stop route to Herndon when the defense played it differently. This went for 12 yards. On the previous play, #3 stayed down on the WR. Slot defender stayed over the slot and they basically played it straight up. That made the slant available since the LB wasn’t covering that zone. Here in this screen shot, you can’t see that all of the defenders on the 35-yard line moved down towards the bottom of the screen. This is a good example of Rosier understanding what the coverage is trying to do before the snap of the ball. In this look, he correctly determines that the slot man is going to take the flat for the outside WR, #3 is going to bail out (effectively becoming the FS in a cover-2 zone look). This defense tries to also take away the slant that we have beaten them with already by moving that ILB to cover the slot man. Since he coming downhill to cover the zone, if the receiver runs a slant, he runs right into the intersecting zone of the defender for an interception. Miami runs a stop route, which means the LB has a long way to go to get there in time, and he does not.
13.jpg

We run the formation again, only this time we take the easy bubble screen to Homer. Here is an example that shows being simplistic and having multiple variations off the same play is often times much more successful than expecting college players to learn intricate plays. Why did we take the bubble here on this play instead of the slant, stop, or curl to the boundary like we did in the previous two plays? It’s all up to the defense. In the screen shot below, the FS lines up on the hash mark. In the screen shot above, he is all the way outside to the numbers. At the bottom of the screen they have three defenders to two players. At the top they have two blockers on two defenders and then a FS running into the middle of the field. It’s all just a game of pick your poison for the defense.
13.jpg

Next play, we use the same formation and run the QB draw out of it. All of these things getting put on film gives the defense things to worry about out of that formation. We’re already down to the 13 at this point. Play not pictured.

On first down we run a bubble screen to Herndon and he gets 8. Same personnel, it’s just that we isolated Richards to the top of the screen. You see that this draws the S to that side and makes this easy for Rosier. Look to the bottom of the screen where the LB is faking the blitz inside. You see only one defensive player even in the screen for three receivers. Run Homer across Rosier’s face as if we are giving that little outside zone handoff that we love and it gets both LB’s flowing that direction. Simple numbers game here. They can’t defend the edge competently and it’s free money. All we gotta do is pick it up. I’m even a little surprised we didn’t score.
14.jpg

Inside zone gets down to the two-yard line.

On first down I hope this is a play we put away and don’t do it again. We moved Richards down to the end of the line and he plays an H-back spot. He tries to cut block the DE and it’s really ineffective. Truthfully, I’d even be happy with an extra OL here rather than asking Richards to do this play. They were absolutely setup for a toss sweep to top of the screen on this play. Have St. Louis pull outside and block the standup LB back towards where the ball is snapped, Richards still cuts the DE, WR on CB to the edge.
Note: The photo wouldn't upload.

We ran the same formation on 2nd down and were stuffed again. Richards is not a good blocker and you’re risking your best WR getting rolled up on in one of these piles. Not a fan. I’d rather split him out and make them space out on the defensive front more.

On 3rd down we run the slant and they say Richards dropped it, and he did, I suppose, but the CB made a heck of a play. You can see his arm is already in-between Richards’ arms ripping down to get the ball out. Felder is going to need work on that grip for Mr. Richards. By the way, that’s textbook by the CB. Good coaching.
Note: Photo wouldn't load again.

Kickoff is a touchback.

On first down I really don’t know why Mike Smith is fondling his DT here. Smith is responsible for this gap, no doubt about it, but he’s taking himself out of the play here. The double-team really moved McIntosh out of the hole and confused Smith. Goes for 5.
17.jpg

They run another inside dive and get only a couple. Mike Smith is really dancing and unsure of himself out there. They’re either asking him to two-gap here or he’s not sure what to do. The hole is right in front of him. Why is he dancing outside? He’s not the edge defender. Maybe he just guessed on the cutback for some reason. If he took his cue from the G here and exploded into this hole once #6 3 turned his shoulders to push the defender inside he’d know where the ball was designed to go. Instead, he jumped outside on his own and literally ran himself right into a blocker trying to get to the second level. Notice to the bottom of the screen we have two defenders taking the receiver at the LOS. Perry needs to be getting himself to the ball because Harris has the QB.
18.jpg

Syracuse called a timeout on 3rd & 4 because we changed our coverage just before the snap. We slid Owens out to over the slot receiver, Perry over the bottom slot and got up on them rather than playing soft. My guess is they had a quick pass called and the change in defense threw them off. Not pictured.

After the timeout they called a false start and then picked up the flag. Not sure I’ve seen that one before. It either is, or it isn’t. Why throw the flag if it wasn’t?

On the actual play we rushed four and didn’t get anywhere near the QB. It gave the outside WR time to run a double move on Malek Young. Young was in off-coverage and the WR ran a stop route and got Young to stop as well, the WR turned it into a slant route and got inside of Young for an easy conversion. Not pictured.

Get a substitution penalty on the next play. That’s what Syracuse lives for.

On first down you see the crazy athleticism of Joe Jackson on display. If you read these film reviews from me, you’ll know I preach to get upfield and don’t hesitate. Here, Jackson gets upfield and actually is smart enough to chip the TE Ravian Pierce on his way by. He smells out that it’s unusual he isn’t trying to block him and hits him. This throws the receiver off the play, which was designed to be a shovel pass inside. It’s just such a good play by Jackson. That, of course, leaves the QB dead without anywhere to go with the ball and he loses four. Pinckney gets the sack, but Jackson made the play.
19.jpg

Next play we stunted Joe Jackson inside and he gets through up-the-middle and flushes Dungey who has to throw it away. On third down they run a dive play and tried using a FB, who was not effective. Punt.

This is the play down the sideline that Richards just flat dropped. The thing is, it wasn’t intended to be that route at all. Richards was simply supposed to be running a slant route. I guess Rosier got spooked by the S crashing down on the hash marks. Richards made a really smart play in the scramble drill to just go deep as Rosier scrambled to that side of the field. Look to the bottom of the screen and you see #52 engaging in a legal block. When Rosier scrambled out of the pocket, McDermott is already getting to the next level on his block. He doesn’t know that Rosier hasn’t thrown the ball, he thinks he’s blocking for a quick slant. McDermott still needs to stay within three yards of the LOS so he doesn’t kill any chance of being able to throw the ball down the field, but there is a reason for it at least.
20.jpg

Rosier pulls the ball on first down and gets six back to bring up second & 9. Not pictured.

Third down we spread them out and run a little curl in-between the zones and we have it. Herndon absolutely turns around and gets the two yards needed for the first here. It gets knocked down by the defender unfortunately. Mahoney has to go find work here, rather than letting the defender get to him. If he takes a step forward and punches, the defender has to keep his hands down to protect himself and this pass is completed. Look to where Gauthier and Darling are for an example of what I’m talking about.
21.jpg

Then, Feagles gets off a 25-yard punt. You’re simply going to experience ups-and-downs with a true freshman punter.

I wanted to highlight this play because it’s another reason I love Shaq Quarterman. Look at the helmet in front of Moten. That’s Shaq being the aggressor and hitting an OL as he tries to get to him so hard that he actually tackles his own QB. Quarterman didn’t wait and let himself get blocked. It’s a really smart, physical play. He knew he couldn’t actually get his hands on him, so he clogged the lane with physicality and aggression. He could’ve stayed back, and it would’ve minimized his risk of the QB hitting that cutback hole and getting big yardage, but it 100% would’ve meant a lot more yards for the QB. I’ll take the aggression and live with the few times it results in a bigger play.
22.jpg

I couldn’t tell you what Dungey saw here. It’s basically Tampa-2. You can see Shaq getting depth into the middle of the field. The defender trailing the play (who had the flat) and the defender deep (with a S taking his man deep). It’s an easy interception for Michael Jackson, but he still had to finish the play. I’m confident in my belief that this will prove to be the best game he’s ever played to date.
23.jpg

Tried to run another quick slant to Richards out of the five-wide look. It was covered up, Rosier takes the checkdown swing pass to Homer who had five yards and he dropped it. That’s what puts you behind the chains. Just catch the ball. Not pictured.

On second down we run the same formation and this time we run Homer the other way on a shallow cross because they crashed the bubble screen really hard on the previous play. It’s the genius of the offense that Richt runs. It might be the simplest offense in America, but it has adjustments for everything the defense runs. Homer catches this pass, breaks the tackle of #23 and gets 24 yards.
24.jpg

Run the five-wide again, look at what the routes we run do. They make you cover every inch of the field. You see Herndon runs the bubble screen at the top of the screen, which forces the underneath defender to stay up, the ILB has to stay home because of the treat of the slant and the bubble, we run a slant from Berrios on the opposite slot, Homer runs a bubble to the other side, Harley runs a square-in which keeps that S to the other side. The deepest defender can’t drive on the skinny post from Richards too hard or a double-move is a TD. Pass goes right through the hands of Richards.
25.jpg

Run an inside dive on second down and get four, but if Berrios could get to the LB just a second faster it’s a big gain. Not pictured.

This is the empty look again, only this time we cross the slot and X receivers. This is the first time we’ve run this route combination off this look. Every other time Herndon has either run upfield, or run the shallow bubble motion along the LOS. Here we run an X as Herndon goes towards the sideline and Langham runs a slant after four yards. This route has to be run correctly by Langham or he messes up the design. Rosier is looking to see how they defend it. If the defender covering Langham sinks with Herndon, that leaves Langham open. If the LB goes with Herndon he has to identify if he’s going to come open or get to his next read. Often times, when the route is run correctly, the LB will “rub” the defender off of Langham if he follows Herndon. The S just blew the coverage when he was peeking at Rosier, as they had help over-the-top and really had the play defended, and let Herndon run free up the sideline, which is fine too.
26.jpg

Run the draw out of the empty. Rosier slips, or he’d have gotten more than six. Next play we run the bubble to Herndon, who gets the first down. Not pictured.

Next play Rosier makes a really nice play. He uses his eyes on Herndon early to move the LB a yard over, he waits for Herndon to pass behind the LB into the open area in the middle of the field and hits him for a walk-in TD.
27.jpg

Badgley slips on the kickoff and Syracuse brings it back to the 38-yard line. Not pictured.

Syracuse runs the dive on first and McIntosh eats it up.

Next play, we walked Bandy up to the LOS over Phillips and they run a slant. You won’t see someone plant, close the distance, stick their left arm in there and hit the ball away. If he uses his right arm it gets called for pass interference. Bandy is going to be so good. It’s the first time I remember us really walking our nickel up over the slot on a play longer than a couple of yards.
28.jpg

On third down we get a pick, but look at the 42-yard line. We double-teamed the wheel route down the sideline and left the slant route completely open. Dungey didn’t see it, throws it deep for some reason, and Jaquan picks it.
Note: Image did not load.

First down we throw the bubble screen to Homer. Second down, we run a little out route to Berrios who spins around, makes a guy miss and slams down for the first down. Herndon turns around and blocks as well. Tough run by Berrios, but I want to show this screen shot to show a little nuance to Rosier’s game and development. He is throwing an out route here, which usually you would want to be hard and straight. Rosier throws with a little touch and purposely a little inside to bring Berrios away from the defender, who had pretty tight coverage. This is a my guy or no one throw that also allows him to make a play. If it’s straight to him he is tackled for a gain of four.
30.jpg

They blitz, we run a square-in behind it. It has to be so frustrating for the defense because we have a play that beats most anything you’re going to do to stop it if we execute properly. You blitz we run the square-in or slant behind it. You stay back in off-coverage, we bubble you to death. I’m surprised Syracuse doesn’t rush three and drop eight when we go empty because that’s been their best chance of defending these plays. This is the play Richards hurdles a guy.
31.jpg

We run that X-cross that we ran with Herndon and Langham earlier, only this time we cross and Herndon runs a wheel route again, but Richards runs a seam route and they jump the slant. They saw that X-cross and thought it was a slant and jumped inside. Richards takes the seam, is wide open, might’ve even scored. Dropped.
32.jpg

Rosier gets to the checkdown quickly and that’s ok because he saw pressure coming as they sent five. He missed Berrios open over the middle on the 35 if he waits a beat longer. Herndon knocks #3 0 down with a stiff-arm and gets eight though.
33.jpg

On 3rd and 2 Mahoney is beat cleanly and quickly by the DT (#99) who blows this play up for a loss. They slanted their DL right into the path of the play but Mahoney has to get quicker on his punch. This is becoming something I’m noticing a bit with him. Also notice, we played Gaynor at LG on this play and he doesn’t block anyone. You can see him charging ahead here while his man is already past him. He looked around confused afterwards, but that is his man and McDermott is getting to the second level on this play. Woof. Both guards misplayed this one. FG.
34.jpg

On first down, Syracuse runs a dive for five yards. On second down, Dean comes into the game and is physical with the receiver which throws off his balance, he steps out of bounds, which makes the play incomplete even though it was beautiful timing and body control by Ishmael to get a foot down after catching the ball. For me, Dean is a player. Not pictured.

Stunted on third down, Bethel goes outside and just doesn’t keep his angle flat enough to stop the QB from getting outside of him for a first down. Interesting we put Pinckney on the boundary WR and then played a S deep behind it. Not pictured.

Next play we run cover-3 which leaves the flat open. Malek Young comes up and tackles Ishmael, but a gain of seven. Not pictured.

McIntosh and Norton do another X stunt and it confuses the OL. What it really does though is allows McIntosh to get a run at his pass rush and he can turn his shoulders as he hits the gap and make it a smaller target for the OL to block. Brock Huard does a nice job mentioning this, but then you realize he heard it from Kuligowski and it makes sense. QB has to throw it away. Next play, they run a dive out of the shotgun and gets nothing. Norton really has grown man strength inside. He holds an OL off his left arm to maintain extension and leverage and then comes down and makes the tackle. After the play, Ravian Pierce rips the helmet off of Redwine and gets a personal foul. Not pictured.

The 3rd & 25 was a big mistake by the true freshman Derrick Smith. He’s lined up over the slot Ervin Phillips. You can see Syracuse has snapped the ball quickly, with only 18 seconds on the play clock and the ball already snapped. Shaq is still calling out the assignments, so this is what may have caught Smith’s attention here. You can see he isn’t even looking at his man who is already into his route. As Smith grows he’ll know to worry about situation first and foremost. This is an impossible conversion, get deep, force them to check it down, come up and make the tackle. I wish we would’ve just run quarters, rushed three or four, and forced everything underneath, but this shouldn’t be a tough play to stop.
35.jpg

They run a toss sweep to Strickland and Jaquan comes downhill, takes the perfect angle, and makes the tackle. When Diaz talks about Jaquan, that’s what he loves so much about him; his ability to tackle in the open field and take the right angles. Not pictured.

Net play we run the X stunt again and they gashed it by running a quick hitter right into the gap created when we stunt. That’s two big running plays that have occurred because we stunted and they run right behind it. I’d prefer we reserve the stunt for third and long situations where the run doesn’t hurt us as much. This run goes for 23.
36.jpg

Next play they go quick again and try the dive again. Pinckney makes a really nice play to shed a block, fill the gap, and then make the tackle. Not pictured.

Miami calls a timeout on the play as Kendrick Norton was unsure of what personnel grouping was coming in. He tried to run off late and was going to be called for offsides but they gave Miami the timeout. It’s exactly what the tempo of Syracuse is trying to do to the defense. Truthfully, in this three WR, Herndon, Homer personnel grouping we’ve been using we could do the same thing to opponents if we so chose. Go fat, don’t substitute, keep them in personnel they aren’t wanting.

On 3rd and 1 we have the perfect defense called. We had them stopped. It’s right here. That’s the runner being met head-on at the 8-yard line and they need to get to the six. Just make the tackle. Instead, Darrion Owens barely touches him and he gets to the 5-yard line for a first down. Announcer said it was Pinckney, but believe me, that’s Owens.
37.jpg

This is Demetrius Jackson doing what he does best. He’s an animal against the run as a weakside DE. Here, he plays the read option perfectly. He stays under control but closes the area between the mesh point and himself. If they give he can tackle the RB. If he pulls, he can catch him on the edge. He pulls and Jackson makes the tackle for no gain.
38.jpg

Malek Young will never get many interceptions since he doesn’t find the ball in the air at all, but one thing he does exceptionally well is he plays the ball at the catch point. Here he locks out on the fade, waits for the receivers hands to go up to the ball, then gets his hands in-between the arms and hits the ball out. Nice play, just wish he could locate the ball and contest the ball for interceptions. That 3rd & 25 debacle of a play costs us three points.
Note: Photo didn't load, but it's a photo of Young knocking the ball out of the receivers hands.

We tried to run three-wide on the next drive and played Patchan rather than Herndon. Whew, that didn’t work very well. Here is Patchan getting ragdolled by #94 . Completely blown off the line when we tried to run Homer off the edge. The intent of this play is for Patchan to seal #94 inside and then #6 2 Corey Gaynor is supposed to pull from RG off his outside hip and have an edge. You can see that Patchan is pushed so far back that Gaynor is cutting off the inside of his hip and Homer has nowhere to go. Just put another OL out there in that spot rather than Patchan if you’re going to ask him to block a down lineman because that obviously isn’t happening.
40.jpg

Darling gets surprised by the delayed blitz from the LB and he has a free rush on Rosier. This is excellent QB’ing right here. He anticipates where the ball is needing to go, throws it early, has touch on the ball, takes the hit, and a big play to Richards down the sideline. It’s hard to see on a still, but this throw is a dime.
41.jpg

Next play we have Patchan in for this entire series and another issue here. The announcers said he didn’t get his head around fast enough and that’s not what happened. What happened is he turned the wrong direction. On this curl route into the soft spot in the middle zone he needs to turn towards the QB, so over his left shoulder. He turns to the outside on the curl, or over his right shoulder. My guess- and it’s just a guess- is that they normally practice the play with Patchan lining up on the other side of the formation and he just ran it like he does in practice and didn’t turn towards the middle. This is the type of mistake that causes interceptions.
42.jpg

Throw the slant on second down and Langham had his route disrupted at the LOS. The throw was there, but Langham couldn’t get coordinated in time to catch it. Third down I couldn’t see the route combinations from the broadcast angle, but it looks as though we ran verticals and they played coverage so Rosier had to tuck it and run. Punt down to the 2-yard line. Not pictured.

On first down for Syracuse, we talk about free money for the Canes offense, well this is just us anticipating run and sending the double-A gap blitz. This forces us to play soft coverage behind the LB’s and Bandy is caught peeking into the backfield. This is even more yardage if the WR doesn’t slip after catching the wide open out route.
43.jpg

We X-stunted on 2nd & 4 and it does hurt our run defense. Norton was strong at the point of attack and we held the line, but we’re playing on the wrong of the LOS when we do that. Not pictured.

We blitzed Shaq and put Pinckney out as the boundary corner again, Syracuse ran another pass play on 3rd & 2. We also ran the X-stunt inside again. We obviously anticipated the zone read as we clogged the A-gaps and brought Shaq off the edge, but they ran crossers from both their slots, we had a zone coverage where Bandy took Phillips halfway across the field and then handed him off to Dean. Dean made the tackle, but he got three yards. That’s a tough play to stop in the defense we called. Hat tip to Syracuse, but I still think we blitz too much on 3rd down. Let this defensive front get pressure and drop those LB’s into the shallow zone on plays like this.
44.jpg

They ran a QB draw on the next play and Norton beats his man inside, pushes Dungey wide and Pinckney runs him down for a gain of one. Not pictured.

Next play they run a bubble screen, Romeo Finley misses the tackle, Michael Jackson forces a fumble, but we had too many men on the field. Sigh.

Next play McIntosh beats his man and they say this play is to a receiver in the area. You tell me, but I just can’t agree with that. I say that’s intentional grounding. Note: Dungey gets up an pushes McIntosh. He’s a tough kid, but he also seems to have a bit of a mouth.
45.jpg

Next play we have this defended. McDloud just needs to come in under control, defend with the sideline, push him back inside to his mates and get off the field. Instead he grabs the face mask and they get 15-yards. This drive should be over again but we can’t get out of our own way. They get away with an intentional grounding, we grab a facemask, we forget to cover a guy on 3rd & 25. These things add up.
46.jpg

They run the ZR, Joe Jackson takes the cheese, Bandy comes up and misses a tackle by diving at the legs and Dungey jumps over him for four. Second down they run the dive again. Joe Jackson strings it out, Amari Carter cleans it up. Not pictured.

On third down I wanted to highlight a play. This is the single best play I’ve seen a Miami defender make this year on an individual level. Michael Jackson hits the receiver off the LOS, flips his hips to run, turns his lead, locates the ball, catches the ball as he uses his hips to push the receiver off his route towards the sideline. This is perfect. This is textbook. This is difficult. I am telling you, this is a play some defensive scout in the NFL is going to point to about why they should draft/sign Michael Jackson.
Note: I always have trouble with zoomed in photos. I hate that this one didn't load, but it was a beautiful play by Jackson.

We try to run the bubble screen on first down and Harley misses his block. Syracuse did a good job defending this one. Next play we run four verts (though Herndon did stop after 15 yards or so and run a curl) and throw the bomb to Berrios. It was double covered and had no chance. Checked it down to Herndon on third down and Syracuse called a timeout. Punt.

I always like to throw in a special teams still, and this one just once again shows how outstanding Travis Homer is at being the gunner on kick/punt returns. Homer will play in the league because of being a good RB, but he will always be active on game days because he is excellent at special teams. Look at how much he beats every other coverage man down the field. That’s a full 10 yards ahead of Dean.
48.jpg

Pinckney beats the RB in pass rush, McIntosh takes away the ability to step to that side, sack. They sneak it and sneak it and run out the half. For some reason the officials called for a ten-second runoff, but it would’ve run out anyway. What a weird review (not shown). This game should’ve been at least 24-3, or really even 24-0 as they got their three points after a 3rd & 25 pickup.
49.jpg

On first down we run the ZR and Rosier makes a mistake. There was a hole for Homer and Rosier kept it. The DE tackles him after three yards. Not pictured.

On second down we run inside zone and they blitzed a LB right into the area. Homer breaks the tackle of the LB and the DT who got by Mahoney trying to reach block him. Homer gets through for 10 yards. First down. Not pictured.

Next play Harley runs a nice slant out of the empty set. Rosier is on-time and on-target. Good play for nine. Harley turned his ankle on the play. Then we run the bubble screen to Herndon, which was a bit low and he one-handed caught it for the first down. Run the same play to the other side and Berrios just whiffs on the block. Loss of one. Not pictured.

On this play Rosier again shows his growth. His anticipation on the routes has grown exponentially since game one. He sees this route, throws the ball way early, and it’s to a spot, right on the money. Berrios just drops it. To make it even better, Rosier stands in and takes a shot on the play. Dude is really improving.
50.jpg
51.jpg

On third down they rush three initially, then delay-blitz which confuses our OL, and Rosier scrambles for a yard. This drive was there to score points. We dropped a deep shot, Berrios misses a block, then it’s third and long and we can’t convert. Punt. Not pictured.

Syracuse first down and Bandy gets beat cleanly on the slant by Phillips. Not pictured.

Here is an example of our run fits getting off. Shaq comes on the blitz and the FB picks him up clean (long-haired dude is blocking Shaq here). Shaq hit him the correct way which forces the RB into the middle, but you wish Shaq could shock the FB, create separation, then come off for the tackle. He doesn’t, so now you wish Pinckney would shoot that open are between [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 5[/URL] and the double-team combo block. He chooses to go around it, and runs right into the second OL on the combo block and gets taken out. Easy cutback lane for the RB goes for another first down. Pinckney has to get through that gap quickly to get into the RB before the reaches that second level.
52.jpg

We talk about coaching all the time, and it obviously draws the ire of the fanbase when things don’t look good, but here’s another example of the coaches putting the defense right in the spot to make a play. We brought Pinckney off the edge, who has a clean shot at the QB and misses him (you can see him sprawled in the upper corner of the screen. Dungey is forced to pull it and Syracuse has a new play on. I bet they practiced this play multiple times and waited for the right time to bring it out. Bandy stays home and is ready to hit Dungey if he tries to run. Dungey is all set to throw a pass off this look and they have blockers out there so it will work. The problem for Syracuse is that McIntosh is right there. All he has to do is catch it and it’s a pick-6. Right in his hands. Dropped. Coaches had this perfect on two ends (Pinckney and McIntosh). Neither of them finished the play.
53.jpg

This is a big run that gashed us for 27 yards. We have it defended. Shaq needs to hit this OL with some thump to shock him back and plug that hole. Jaquan brings him down on the back-end, which is another of those “saving” tackles you hear about. Hopefully we need fewer of them in the future.
54.jpg

Instead, he tries to sidestep the blocker and actually took himself to this place. In a way he’s helping to block Redwine as well since he’s shielding him from the runner. [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 5[/URL] pulled around and kicked out the weakside LB. The LB has to beat that puller into this hole and plug that hole as well, but our LB’s were just bad on this play. Look at Dungey, he knows this is a big play as he’s already got his hand up and the RB hasn’t even gotten past McIntosh who is obscuring the view of the RB here. Our run defense has some holes due to inconsistent or poor run fits.
55.jpg

Run the dive on first down and Chad Thomas closes it down. Not pictured.

Derrick Smith in 1-on-1 coverage with Phillips isn’t a good idea probably. He’s honestly pretty fast, athletic, and a good tackler, but he can’t handle a pretty high level WR. This ball was thrown too far outside because both WR and CB slipped, which threw off the timing.
56.jpg

Next play they complete a slant for a gain of 8 on Jackson. 4th & 2. They run a power trey off RG and Darrion Owens and Mike Smith get blocked just enough to get the first down. Had another chance to stop them there. Not pictured.

Mike Smith takes a bad angle on the toss and gives up the edge. I’d attack him consistently if I were an OC. If Smith flattens out by a yard and runs to where the runner is going rather than where he is he makes this tackle for a loss. The coaches had us in position, we just didn’t execute.
57.jpg

Next play, Redwine jumps and tips the inside slant. Almost catches his tip for an interception. Smith has nice coverage behind it, honestly. So far, all the tips are going Syracuse’s way, from the first interception that they actually got back on a fumble, to the dropped McIntosh interception on a ZR throw, to this ball by Redwine which falls just out of reach, to dropped TD’s by Richards and a deep pass dropped by Berrios, they’ve had all the plays fall their way thus far.
58.jpg

Again, Malek has played this perfectly. He’s pushed his WR all the way to the sideline and made him go out-of-bounds. He’s stride for stride. Now recognize the WR is turning his head and raising his hands. Turn your head, locate the ball, make a play on the ball. Stick, flip, turn, locate, finish. Malek has some more growing to do and this is difficult to develop at this point. FG for Syracuse.
59.jpg

Kickoff return and DeeJay Dallas misses a block. Pushed out at the 24 but it’s there if Dallas gets his block. Not pictured.

It doesn’t get easier than this. Look at that pocket. Look at the separation. Rosier with great mechanics. Mullins makes the catch and gets a nice gain. Flat defender went with the deep man and left the flat wide open. Whoops.
60.jpg

Next play, Rosier keeps and gets seven. Patchan gets ragdolled again, but we run away from it this time. Next time we tried to run a pass-off block between Patchan and McDermott. Patchan has to get out and get a jam on the LB, while McDermott pushes down on his man, then comes off that and gets to the LB that Patchan jammed while Patchan gets to the edge defender. Patchan just doesn’t have the strength to orchestrate this block and McDermott was just adequate. It goes nowhere. Running behind Patchan has been real tough thus far. I’d go back to spreading them out, but this is the time when Herndon was banged up. Not pictured.

On third down we do go back to spreading them out and Rosier runs the QB draw for a first down. The less we can ask Patchan to block, the better. First down we run a seam route to Richards that is just off as Richards slipped and the throw was a bit too far upfield. Second down we run the horizontal outside zone play and get only four. Kind of a soft run and blocking on the edge. Not pictured.

This is the third down look we saw on third and six. You can see Syracuse is showing pressure up-the-middle. They’ve got all their defenders tucked inside. I think the opportunity for the bubble is here if we wanted to just go for a few yards to try and go for it on 4th down. We ran right into the pressure and lost a yard. Punt.
61.jpg

On the punt, we talk about Feagles a lot this year, but he’s backed them up quite a few times in this game. This one he deadens at the two. Good job, freshman.

First down, we had McCloud defend the boundary and they tried a back-shoulder throw which was off. Second down we put McCloud on the edge again and have Mike Smith in. McIntosh tips the ball in the air as he stunts again. Look at this ball way up in the air. It happens to fall where no Miami defender is, but this is another example of the ball continuing to bounce Syracuse’ way.
62.jpg

Third down is a quasi big play in the game. You have them 3rd & 10 on their own two-yard line. McCloud and Mike Smith are your LB’s. Before the snap the two LB’s were reversed but McCloud switched them just before the snap. I wish he hadn’t, because I have no idea where Mike Smith is going here. McCloud misses the tackle after the cut block, Joe Jackson went too far upfield and couldn’t get there. Dungey takes this to the 22-yard line. Big mistake from our defense here and we had to be guessing. Look at Norton having his jersey two-hand pulled off of him. If we stop here they have to punt out of their own end zone and we are looking at probably three points at least.
63.jpg

First down they throw an out route incomplete. Next play is a quick slant on Young for a first down. Not pictured.

Malek is really good at getting his hand in-between the arms of the receiver and knocking the ball out. He’s beaten here, but recovers to get the ball out.
65.jpg

On 2nd down Derrick Smith is toasted. This could’ve been a TD but the QB overthrew him. For all the praise this QB got coming into this game, I’ve been underwhelmed with his ability to play QB. Rosier is a far better player. Second screen shot is just to show a beautiful clean pocket and the QB still missed the throw by five yards.
66.jpg
67.jpg

They run a dive on 3rd & 10 and they have to punt. Not pictured.

On the punt, Berrios saves us a bunch of yards by running up and catching the rugby punt before it hits the ground. This is what we need our returners to do. Get aggressive catching the ball before it bounces. He returns this to the 45. I estimate he saved us at least 20 yards worth of field position.
68.jpg

First down is a fade route to Langham who was held up on the line and the play looked bad. Second down inside dive to Homer for five.

Third down, perfect pocket, out-and-up route by Thomas, and #7 is already beaten right here. Rosier lets it fly and Thomas houses it. A lot of people will say Rosier underthrew the pass, and he may have by a yard, but he was also really smart to throw it in a place that would be completed, rather than trying to make a perfect pass and overthrowing it. TD.
69.jpg

Run a dive on first down. Pitch to the outside on second down.

Third down and Shaq is caught peeking into the backfield. They faked the jet sweep and Dungey keeps it. Look closer though and you can see they also had a pass option to the slot WR that Redwine has to cover. That means if Shaq doesn’t respect the sweep there’s a chance Redwine is left to make this tackle on the edge against a blocker and no help. Shaq needs to go inside-out on this angle so that he can take the QB- who is his responsibility- but also chase down the screen from the backside while it would Redwine’s job to turn it back inside to his help. This opens up the lane for Dungey to keep and he’s out the gate behind the play because Derrick Smith is also peeking and overruns the play. Smith is probably better than Knowles, but we have a long way to go towards respectable safety depth right now.
70.jpg
71.jpg

They tried to run a slip screen on first down but we defended it well. Dungey had to turf it to bring up second down.

Second down is the flying knee play where Dungey jumps over/through Redwine. Before he gets to the second level we have the play defended but our pass rush gets upfield, creating a lane to run through for Dungey and Pinckney doesn’t attack this blocker on the right shoulder. He hesitated because of the jet sweep fake and is a yard short of where he needs to be here. If he’s a yard outside, this play goes for around two yards. Instead he gets 15. I don’t know what Knowles is doing here. Derrick Smith is the defender on the WR. Knowles is supposed to be covering the flat receiver (#10) but either forget or is just taking way too long to get there. Smith actually retreats from here and makes a TD saving tackle.
72.jpg

After Dungey has kept the ball on back-to-back plays, Joe Jackson goes for the QB and loses the edge. This outside zone run scores. It’s a really good adjustment from Syracuse as Joe Jackson had been getting upfield and leaving a wide-open lane for Dungey to run through. This time Jackson adjusted and stayed too flat. He has the RB here. He needs to be another yard outside. Shaq stops his feet because of the fake and as soon as he does that he’s beaten. Young gets blocked, Redwine can’t get off a block in the end zone and Knowles is late to recognize. Jackson and Shaq are the culprits though.
73.jpg

On the kickoff this is exactly what Richt is talking about when he says Dallas has to communicate with Thomas on when to bring the ball out. Dallas has his arms out like he doesn’t know whether to come out or not. He has to be signaling here to stay in the end zone a lot quicker. This is on Dallas, not Thomas. We get the ball at the 11 rather than the 25. That’s virtually a personal foul penalty.
74.jpg

On first down we throw an out route and get six. Then we run a dive to Homer and get two. We go to the fourth quarter at 20-13. On third down it’s the fumbled snap play. Rosier picks it up, throws it deep to Richards who is open. Rosier doesn’t have enough on the throw, Richards come back to the ball, a flag is thrown for PI, but then they pick it up. Punt. Not pictured.

For Syracuse their big adjustment has been to ride the fake on the zone read and then let Dungey make decisions on whether to keep or pull it and run the ball. It’s been effective since they started doing it and it’s playing on our speed and indecisiveness. After a gain of three, they run the inevitable WR screen off of it and pick up a first down. Amari Carter makes the tackle. Next play they run a toss sweep and Carter is there perfectly to make the play but gets trucked. The Syracuse bench liked it, but it was only a two-yard gain. Gotta bring your legs with you Amari. Not pictured.

Next play they run a play action bootleg and Dungey is flushed by the pass rush. He runs for nine. Chad Thomas jumped inside and gave up the edge. If he stays another yard outside he runs down the QB. A lot of our issues in the run game are eye discipline and angles. This play is defended, but Thomas just underrates his speed.
75.jpg

Get to third down after a false start for 3rd & 6. Ishmael beats Young inside and it’s a nice throw. First down. Dungey is playing better once they’ve started putting him on the move. Not pictured.

Next play they stood up and wanted the bubble screen. We had it defended so Dungey runs the ball and gets nothing. Not pictured.

They give the ball on the jet sweep this time. Shaq has to get outside, that’s his man. Pinckney has the QB here. Shaq is slow, as he’s really confused by the mesh point of this jet sweep and they get outside the defense. I like what they’re doing on offense and wouldn’t mind seeing us run a few similar plays against aggressive defenses. Jeff Thomas would handle that jet sweep role quite well I think.
76.jpg

Demetrius Jackson makes a nice tackle on Dungey for a loss of five after a low snap throws off the timing of the jet sweep fake. No, this is not a horse collar. You are allowed to tackle by the jersey, you just can’t put your hand inside their shoulder pads and bring them down by them.
77.jpg

Next play Trent Harris gets a sack with help from Pinckney. The snap really helped get them behind the chains and allowed us to unleash our pass rush. They tried a trick play on 3rd down where they threw a bubble screen as a lateral, then the WR threw the ball back 30 yards across the field to Dungey. Joe Jackson showed his wow athleticism and beat the blocker and makes a nice tackle for loss. Hold them to a FG to make it 20-16. Not pictured.

On the kickoff Thomas gets to the 34 on a nice return that he had to run a lot further than 34 yards. Something I’ve noticed with Thomas is he seems to run out of gas quickly when he’s running a long distance. I wonder if he just really needs to get in better shape to finish plays a little more dynamically and not get run down by defenders quite as often.

On first down we run a dive play for two. On second down we run a zone read play action fake. Syracuse is unblocked off the edge and Rosier makes this man miss, then hits Richards on the roll out for a gain of 27. This is a great play and really shows the value of Rosier’s ability to move.
78.jpg

We run a bubble screen to Berrios on the next play and the throw is a little off. That hurts because he had an easy five. Second down we throw a screen to the short side of the field to Richards for the first time all game that we’ve even shown the route. Syracuse was all over it and it goes for a loss of one. Not pictured.

This third down play is hard to critique, but shows a little lack of feel for running with the ball from Rosier. He has this DT beat and all that room to the sideline to pick up the first down. He stays too flat with his angle and tries to get right upfield instead of using the space available to him. This DT gets him by the shoelaces and Rosier never should’ve let that happen. We actually went for it here in what was a curious decision by Richt.
79.jpg

On fourth down, I thought Huard brought up a good point that by going empty there was no threat of an RPO. This is the ball that skips to Langham, but I think he was actually targeting Herndon and Herndon just got tripped up on his route and was late by a step. Herndon was open if Rosier can wait a half beat longer. Langham was open as well. Turnover on downs. Not pictured.

Syracuse takes over and runs a dive on first down for a loss of one. On second down, it’s another case of getting sucked inside too far and losing contain. Redwine has this play shut down. He gets way too far inside here and lets Dungey get by him and go for 34 yards. Our edge defenders have to understand they cannot let anything get outside of them. Ever. Not good, as this should’ve been 3rd and 11. Dungey doing those silly leaping knees again.
80.jpg

Next play they do a halfback pass and we covered it. Then our LB’s overrun the play and are slow to fill in the chase from behind. This guy gets by both Harris and Pinckney here. We are tired. Gain of eight.
81.jpg

Next play Pinckney makes up for it with a perfect split of blockers into the backfield and is a missile into the RB for a loss of six. On the third down play Bandy has perfect coverage on the receiver and locates the ball. Hit, flip, push, turn, locate the ball, make a play. Our CB coach is doing a good job of coaching these guys. They drill a FG from 53 to pull within 20-19. This game never should’ve been this close but everything changed when they started riding the jet sweep motion.
82.jpg

Another poor decision to bring a ball out because Dallas doesn’t communicate well. We start at the 15. First down is a deep shot to Langham and well overthrown. On the next play, Jeff Thomas wins right off the LOS on the slant and creates a lot of separation. Rosier throws this one a little behind Thomas, but that’s because Syracuse dropped their end into a zone blitz and Rosier made sure to throw it before the DE could get into the zone and Thomas adjusts to the throw and gets a huge first down.
83.jpg

On first down we throw an out route to Thomas, who was open, but the throw is just off. Next play is a skinny post to Langham who makes a nice hands catch and gets a big first down.

We are going fast now, which some people raised their eyebrows at. Keep in mind Syracuse is tired now. We are trying to score a TD and not just hold on for the win. On the next play we run the ball with Homer and this is what a hole is supposed to look like. Look at Darling get on his man and McDermott perfectly has the outside sealed. You see what the RPO does for your offense as it blocks the end without needing an actual blocker. Rosier carries out the fake, and this is a gain of seven.
84.jpg

We run outside zone on second down and Gauthier does a great job getting to the second level and we pick up an easy first down. This OL is playing together and in concert on these zone runs.

Next play is an inside zone run for three yards. Then we throw it on second down and Dayall Harris is grabbed by the CB for a first down via penalty. We decide to pass again on the next play and it was almost disastrous. Rosier needs to be smart and just throw this ball away. Berrios runs all the way across the field in the scramble drill with Rosier as he scrambles towards the boundary.
85.jpg

And that throw became this. It should’ve been picked and then there’s a good chance we lose the game.
86.jpg

Next play is the Homer long TD run. Brock Huard did a good explaining this play, though McDermott is supposed to influence the defender on the play, the read option does just as much as anything else to hold this DE. Getting out to the second level is the really good part of the play for McDermott, who has turned into a very good LT. Touchdown, and for all intents and purposes, ball game.
Note: Image wouldn't load, but is a closeup of the McDermott block.

On the kickoff Derrick Smith does a great job sorting through blockers and bringing the returner down at the 20-yard line. I like that high kickoff that ends up between the five and the goal line. Use your speed to get down and cover the kick and stop them short of the 25-yard line a lot more often than you’ll give up any sort of long return. Kudos to our special teams today, who were pretty solid.

We blitz on first down and they hit a big play on the square-in against Michael Jackson. Out to the 45-yard line. Next play McCloud shows his speed and tracks down Dungey who throws it away. I don’t think the ball got to the LOS, but they aren’t going to call that in that situation unless it’s egregious.

They run a QB draw and Dungey breaks a Chad Thomas tackle and tries to reverse field. It worked out as we ran him down, but this has to be a tackle in this situation.
88.jpg

Next play we stayed home as they tried to run a QB draw initially. Then Dungey breaks outside and Shaq runs him down. They both got up jawing big-time. This Dungey kid will sure run his mouth.

Here’s the fourth down play and he’s just late to throw it. He had his man open, it was good coverage by Bandy, but a great route. If the QB throws it now, he’s got a real chance to pick it up. In reality, the ball should already be in the air from this screen shot. Then Dungey gets up and is talking to our sideline. I think someone said something to him because he clearly asks “do you want to eff with me? I’ll eff you up.” Tough kid.
89.jpg

Whew. This was another one of those hate to play the opponent type games because of their tempo being so crazy. Syracuse made an excellent adjustment to get away from running four wide and started to motion to the jet sweep and then basically just run power off of that motion. In many ways, it was just inverted veer that they were running with their QB repeatedly and it was working. We missed a bunch of tackles that would have changed drives, and we took some poor angles and lost contain. A ton of things to clean up before we play Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, probably the two best teams we will play this year (unless we get to the ACCCG).

Attachments

• 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 55
Advertisement
Thats it... we need a LB coach. They are the weakest link when they're suppose to be the strongest or at least 2nd strongest. It every week our LBs make terrible run fits. They are a complete liability. How did our LB get worse in a full year of Manny's coaching? Also Manny always seems to play soft on 3rd and 3 but on 3rd and 10 he sends 7 on blitzes or man to man. Just rush FOUR MANNY (Maybe send a 5th if the Pass rush isn't getting there or enough pressure). Can we PLEASE stop running stunts and twist with on DL? Our LB are already struggling tackling and making run fits and your now asking them to take on extra blocks if the stunt doesn't get there. Save those bad boys for obvious passing situations or else they will just be used against you.

Last edited:
Good ****.

I'm hoping that Perry, Smith, and Knowles were ONLY in because of how many plays Syracuse runs and nothing else. If it was up to me those 3, Knowles especially, would straight up not play. Smith, though he missed some plays, is a major upgrade over knowles. Perry and Smith are both trash.

LBs need to take better angles. Actually, anyone who has contain needs to take better angles. We consistently were running to where the runner was, not where they were going. IMO they should be getting their *** ran hard during practice until thats drilled in their heads.

I could use a little less blitzing and stunts, because our DL are a bunch of beasts, but I'd much rather err on the side of aggressiveness than not. So thats not a complaint for me. Those stunts and that aggressiveness will lead to some big run plays and some pass plays, its just gunna happen. Hopefully we can limit them, and maximize the TFLS, Sacks, and Turnovers though.

Offenisvely, I'm really hoping to see some pistol formation or us to at least go under center in the ******* redzone. Richt needs to get our Redzone offense and 3rd down offense together. The problem is we absolutely suck in short yardage. Like ****, that is the single most important thing limiting our offense. Every week we are able to drive it into the opponents Redzone, and every single time we have to ******* kick a field goal. We will not win the rest of our games like that. Its up to Richt and Thomas Brown to figure that **** out.

Also, this was by far Rosiers best game of his career imo. Too bad it came on Richards worst day. But man Richards is a beast, nobody can guard him. I don't like that it seems we've kinda been forgetting about Berrios though.

I wouldn't call any of our players trash. Knowles is a redshirt sophomore. His limitations are obvious, but lots of time to get better. Might not cover like Ed Reed, but I think he could be a thumper (pretty sure he forced a fumble earlier this year with a hard hit). Perry was recruited as a RB if I'm not mistaken. Might not have the natural instincts as a lb, but he was solid against GT. Smith is a true freshman. Maybe cut him some slack.

Advertisement
Nice write up, thx. And Ditto ref calling our players trash...that’s pretty messed up. I love all our guys regardless of varying talents; they are busting their butts to be the best they can be. A year or two and knoweles May make the play that wins it all for us. At least he didn’t quit like kinder Linder, Gus the puss, and sonny a dog doo

who in the **** are you calling a player on a major football team trash??? Are they not as good as we think they should be, maybe, but certainly not trash.. Posters like you shoud be banned.

Advertisement
Mods, give this man unlimited character usage! Sh*t, he can have some of mines, lol!

Advertisement
I wouldn't call any of our players trash. Knowles is a redshirt sophomore. His limitations are obvious, but lots of time to get better. Might not cover like Ed Reed, but I think he could be a thumper (pretty sure he forced a fumble earlier this year with a hard hit). Perry was recruited as a RB if I'm not mistaken. Might not have the natural instincts as a lb, but he was solid against GT. Smith is a true freshman. Maybe cut him some slack.

Knowles forced a fumble on a kickoff return last week against Ga Tech. Tech recovered, but you're absolutely correct. Knowles drilled his man with a perfect form tackle and jarred the ball out.

Advertisement
Thank you, Vision but wasn't it a little late this week? Come-on with the money we are paying you hit the deadline, man. Just kidding. Great stuff, I'll have to finish reading it tonight.

Thank you, Vision but wasn't it a little late this week? Come-on with the money we are paying you hit the deadline, man. Just kidding. Great stuff, I'll have to finish reading it tonight.

Yeah, it actually was a little later this week. My son is sick and that has cut into my time to write at night after they go to bed, because he is up later coughing.

That and Syracuse's freaking offense runs a play every five seconds. Took forever to cut it down.

After the timeout they called a false start and then picked up the flag. Not sure I’ve seen that one before. It either is, or it isn’t. Why throw the flag if it wasn’t?

Remember what we talked about a few weeks ago? Things like this is what get's me throwing **** at the TV. I have never in my **** life seen a false start flag picked up. The LJ threw the flag, gave the false start signal, said he saw a player move, and the Ref basically said, "No you didn't." and waived off the penalty.

Advertisement
Back