Film Review of Syracuse Game

While I agree with this on principle....the QB completed 9 passes against USC. This is a Bob Griese type stat. Limit ND in the run game, they will not beat you passing.

True but they were demolishing usc and running it down the throat. Just bc they didn’t throw it much doesn’t mean they couldn’t.

Just looked up the numbers for ND...the QB's have passed 192 times with 97 completions....for 1100 yards...a 50.5% completion rate...at 5.7 yards per attempt...9 TD's to 4 INT's...this is an average over 7 games 27 passes with 13 completions.

Not saying they can't but they'd rather run it down your throat.

Exactly. Syracuse can run the football, but they weren't going to beat us running the football. We took away what they do best. Same thing against GaTech. All they do is run, but their entire offense is predicate on the dive and we took that away. They found a little success on the toss, but we took that away as well. Somebody ran the numbers and from 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, GaTech ran 43 plays for 56 yards. That's shutting down the run.

What is ND's best play? Remove that..

The whole left side of the o-line might go in the first round. They're going to try to run behind those two road graders all day if we don't prove that we can stop it early.

Advertisement
True but they were demolishing usc and running it down the throat. Just bc they didn’t throw it much doesn’t mean they couldn’t.

Just looked up the numbers for ND...the QB's have passed 192 times with 97 completions....for 1100 yards...a 50.5% completion rate...at 5.7 yards per attempt...9 TD's to 4 INT's...this is an average over 7 games 27 passes with 13 completions.

Exactly. Syracuse can run the football, but they weren't going to beat us running the football. We took away what they do best. Same thing against GaTech. All they do is run, but their entire offense is predicate on the dive and we took that away. They found a little success on the toss, but we took that away as well. Somebody ran the numbers and from 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, GaTech ran 43 plays for 56 yards. That's shutting down the run.

The whole left side of the o-line might go in the first round. They're going to try to run behind those two road graders all day if we don't prove that we can stop it early.

so we need to seal the edges, and make them go right?

The right side ain't bad either. We're going to have to have solid gap play from the LB's all game long, but the offense can help out a lot by starting fast and putting points on the board. The best way to neutralize your opponent's rushing attack has always been and still is a 2 touchdown lead.

The right side ain't bad either. We're going to have to have solid gap play from the LB's all game long, but the offense can help out a lot by starting fast and putting points on the board. The best way to neutralize your opponent's rushing attack has always been and still is a 2 touchdown lead.

My fear is the first half of the FSU game where they were drilling us up the gut with straight hat on hat running plays. Our LBs were easily sealed/blocked and FSU was gashing us. Can't afford to let that happen against ND because they will continue to try to physically handle us and our DL can wear down. They also don't turn the ball over.

My fear is the first half of the FSU game where they were drilling us up the gut with straight hat on hat running plays. Our LBs were easily sealed/blocked and FSU was gashing us. Can't afford to let that happen against ND because they will continue to try to physically handle us and our DL can wear down. They also don't turn the ball over.

If we make them pass they do...9/4 td to int rating.

Advertisement

They can definitely run the ball. Our D will have to wrap up and take better angles than they did against FSU. I have no doubt that ND will beat us if we allow their O-line to bully us at the point of attack. But I don't think Manny's going to allow that to happen based solely on what you pointed out in the FSU game. We didn't know a ton about Blackman, except that he had gone 22 of 38 for 278 yards against a very stout NC State, and threw a game winner to Wake Forest, so we had to respect his ability to throw the ball. I don't respect ND's balance enough to give them the cushion in the running game that we did against FSU. Plus, our DB's have shown that they can hold their own at the LOS, and that helps the run defense.

They can definitely run the ball. Our D will have to wrap up and take better angles than they did against FSU. I have no doubt that ND will beat us if we allow their O-line to bully us at the point of attack. But I don't think Manny's going to allow that to happen based solely on what you pointed out in the FSU game. We didn't know a ton about Blackman, except that he had gone 22 of 38 for 278 yards against a very stout NC State, and threw a game winner to Wake Forest, so we had to respect his ability to throw the ball. I don't respect ND's balance enough to give them the cushion in the running game that we did against FSU. Plus, our DB's have shown that they can hold their own at the LOS, and that helps the run defense.

Also with Delaney being out extended time, I believe our Secondary has improved dramatically..and we now see what we have with Malek.

Also with Delaney being out extended time, I believe our Secondary has improved dramatically..and we now see what we have with Malek.

Don't forget the job Jaquan and the rest of the DB's have done cleaning up the back end. That allows the LB's to play more aggressive on run downs.

Don't forget the job Jaquan and the rest of the DB's have done cleaning up the back end. That allows the LB's to play more aggressive on run downs.

As long as Knowles doesn't see the field unless we are up big...I'm happy.

Advertisement
WHY THE F@CK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT ND? WE HAVE TWO GAMES BEFORE IT. PLUS THE VT GAME IS SIGNIFICANTLY MORE IMPOTENT!

Advertisement
Back