Film Review of ND Game

we have a lot of talent but the biggest change is coaching capacity. not only developing players and developing good game plans but also adjusting on the fly, in medias res. we've seen this repeatedly with this staff. we are playing above our collective talent because of the coaching rather than the prior regime where we played below our talent level.

the Bandy pick is important. we called a TO specifically to let Bandy know what the coaches had been seeing and what the coaches expected ND to run at that moment. Guess what? ND ran the play predicted by the coaches and Bandy did his job, which at that point is rather simple. the coaches put the players in a position to succeed.

unbelievable!

Advertisement
we have a lot of talent but the biggest change is coaching capacity. not only developing players and developing good game plans but also adjusting on the fly, in medias res. we've seen this repeatedly with this staff. we are playing above our collective talent because of the coaching rather than the prior regime where we played below our talent level.

the Bandy pick is important. we called a TO specifically to let Bandy know what the coaches had been seeing and what the coaches expected ND to run at that moment. Guess what? ND ran the play predicted by the coaches and Bandy did his job, which at that point is rather simple. the coaches put the players in a position to succeed.

unbelievable!

I think that it's important to remember that during the time our program has been relevant and successful, when we've had competent head coaching, we've won national titles. Schnelly, Jimmy, Erickson and Butch were all competent coaches, and really, all of them were much more than that. All of those guys won titles except for Butch, who basically did and left so much talent that Coker was able to win it. Randy and Golden proved that poor coaching, player evaluation and player development can outweigh the natural advantage of South Florida talent.

Richt was easily the most accomplished coach we've hired. He is certainly not perfect, but the guy won 75% of his games at Georgia. He's coached and won big games, he gets what it means to be a Hurricane, he has surrounded himself with what looks like a very good staff and a staff of guys who have so far recruited well, and we're now making strides in our facilities, with Hard Rock suddenly an asset and the IPF under construction. The reality is that with the talent we already have, and the talent coming in, Richt and his staff have a ton to work with.

And, like many others have said, the work done by HurricaneVision in these threads show me that while Richt's offense sometimes appears not aggressive or creative enough, and is not perfect, there are many times that it sets us up for the ability to attack and adjust to most things defenses show us, and sometimes what looks like bad play calls are really missed opportunities because of bad execution. With a coach as good as Richt, and with what I think is the continued improvement of his playcalling, it sure seems like we're very well positioned to have lots of success for many years.

Go Canes!

Fire post man keep it up.

I also want to say when I re-watched the game I noticed a few things that you pointed out early: If ND catches that first wide open bomb TD, they go up 7-0. If Wimbush doesn't overthrow it THREE MORE TIMES in crucial situations especially on third down, and instead is accurate with his passes, ND gets those critical first downs and kicks several field goals or scores touchdowns. This game would have been significantly different.

I do believe we're good. I think we're a solid team and we're still growing... But I also think we didn't come out and dominate because we were superior across the board; rather, it was Wimbush kind of sucking at really important times, and we were able to capitalize on it and take advantage of the opportunities we were given. Oklahoma's and Clemson's offense might not give us those same opportunities.

The speed, athleticism and chaos forced Wimbush to suck. It was like a sudden swarm of wasps on a Sunday picnic and there was no water to jump into.

Read it top to bottom...all I can say is dammit man that is art. You are the Michelangelo of Canes football analysis. I seriously learn more than one nugget of football knowledge everytime I read these.

Hurricane vision is Manny Diaz himself and I look forward to every Thursday for his write ups. Makes it easy for me to understand wtf is going on after I read his posts. Incredible knowledge of football.

Advertisement

I also want to say when I re-watched the game I noticed a few things that you pointed out early: If ND catches that first wide open bomb TD, they go up 7-0. If Wimbush doesn't overthrow it THREE MORE TIMES in crucial situations especially on third down, and instead is accurate with his passes, ND gets those critical first downs and kicks several field goals or scores touchdowns. This game would have been significantly different.

I do believe we're good. I think we're a solid team and we're still growing... But I also think we didn't come out and dominate because we were superior across the board; rather, it was Wimbush kind of sucking at really important times, and we were able to capitalize on it and take advantage of the opportunities we were given. Oklahoma's and Clemson's offense might not give us those same opportunities.

Notre Dame was the best running team in the nation.
We did exactly what we set out to do.
Make them throw.
I doubt it was ND's game plan to beat us through the air.

You mentioned 4 plays. Can I have 4 plays back?
My god we'd have 4 more National Championships if i can go back in history and change 4 plays.

Saturday night was a display of one team totally DOMINATING the other.
ND had no answers for Miami. Plain and simple.

2 posts?
You have to work on your "cover" skills my friend.
You can now go back to your ND site.

bro wtf i'm not a troll, I just joined. I have lived in miami my whole life and went to UM undergrad from 2003-2007 and for law school 2007-2010. I'm about as orange and green as it gets. check my instagram / reddit [MENTION=19003]Nixed[/MENTION]9, i live in south miami.

and I'm not saying we didn't earn the win! Rosier was amazing, defense was amazing, Bandy, Cager, everyone made plays... I'm just saying wimbush's inaccuracy really helped us continuously seize the momentum.

Make them throw.

My god we'd have 4 more National Championships if i can go back in history and change 4 plays.

2 posts?

bro wtf i'm not a troll, I just joined. I have lived in miami my whole life and went to UM undergrad from 2003-2007 and for law school 2007-2010. I'm about as orange and green as it gets. check my instagram / reddit @Nixed9, i live in south miami.

and I'm not saying we didn't earn the win! Rosier was amazing, defense was amazing, Bandy, Cager, everyone made plays... I'm just saying wimbush's inaccuracy really helped us continuously seize the momentum.
Nothing really wrong with anything you posted. Wimbush missed some big chances, for sure. Just like in any sport, mistakes will happen and you have to capitalize on them.

Let’s not forget we should have picked off the 2nd play of the game. So we pick that off and score, we are in the same boat. It’s probably even crazier for ND to try and get into the game.

If weeds were gold my yard would be a gold mine.. If,s are BS excuses. Bottom line Canes dominated all phases of the game.

Advertisement
Those missed plays have been why Miami has had close games all season, up to the last two. They haven't been executing. Richt has talked about it, where one guy misses a block, or a LB or DB takes the wrong gap, so a run pops. That's what's been happening all year, and most have been unforced errors. The difference in the ND game is Miami caused a lot of their mistakes. The miss on the potential TD was one of the few plays that was not caused by Miami. Miami could have had at least three more INT's.

unbelievable!

I think that it's important to remember that during the time our program has been relevant and successful, when we've had competent head coaching, we've won national titles. Schnelly, Jimmy, Erickson and Butch were all competent coaches, and really, all of them were much more than that. All of those guys won titles except for Butch, who basically did and left so much talent that Coker couldn't help but win it. Randy and Golden proved that poor coaching, player evaluation and player development can outweigh the natural advantage of South Florida talent.

Richt was easily the most accomplished coach we've hired. He is certainly not perfect, but the guy won 75% of his games at Georgia. He's coached and won big games, he gets what it means to be a Hurricane, he has surrounded himself with what looks like a very good staff and a staff of guys who have so far recruited well, and we're now making strides in our facilities, with Hard Rock suddenly an asset and the IPF under construction. The reality is that with the talent we already have, and the talent coming in, Richt and his staff have a ton to work with.

And, like many others have said, the work done by HurricaneVision in these threads show me that while Richt's offense sometimes appears not aggressive or creative enough, and is not perfect, there are many times that it sets us up for the ability to attack and adjust to most things defenses show us, and sometimes what looks like bad play calls are really missed opportunities because of bad execution. With a coach as good as Richt, and with what I think is the continued improvement of his playcalling, it sure seems like we're very well positioned to have lots of success for many years.

Go Canes!

Fixed that.

This one was pretty short, by your standards, HV. I can't help but feel a tad bit cheated. I guess a 33 point lead and 24 straight called runs to close out a game will do that to a film study session, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Somehow.

Guys in all my years of football Ive never seen a buncha WRs block so well and willingly. The position is usually a diva group but not down here. Love this team lets keep it rolling GO CANES

Advertisement

Make them throw.

2 posts?

bro wtf i'm not a troll, I just joined. I have lived in miami my whole life and went to UM undergrad from 2003-2007 and for law school 2007-2010. I'm about as orange and green as it gets. check my instagram / reddit [MENTION=19003]Nixed[/MENTION]9, i live in south miami.

Then I apologize.
Wimbush is a 50% passer.
I expected good things to happen for us once they were forced to throw.

Make them throw.

2 posts?

Then I apologize.
Wimbush is a 50% passer.
I expected good things to happen for us once they were forced to throw.

it's all good man. I think if the defense can continue to "play fast" and shut down the run against our opponents, we can legit beat anybody. Forcing QBs to throw under pressure almost always leads to good things. Even Syracuse, who IMO was a tough matchup for us, eventually broke under the relentless defensive pressure. I wonder how we'll be able to do that against the other elite teams if we get to the CFBP.

I think Virgina is gonna be a nice little test this weekend; I want to see the front seven completely shut down the run again. I'll be there screaming since it's the last home game. I expect us to settle into the game and then roll over them. I hope i'm right.

Advertisement
Back