Film Review of ND Game

The most exciting part of this post to me is about the coaching staff making adjustments in the weekly game plan. Don’t get me wrong, I love the kids and they have to execute the plan. Next big up is of course how the team handles being the hunted instead of the hunter. Thanks for your time HV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is amazing to watch, and such a welcomed change from our last few regimes. We would consistently get our pants pulled down in 2nd halves of games and late in seasons. We now own second halves. Our execution has been excellent, as well.

A few other thoughts:

The anticipation by Rosier on the TD throw to Berrios was insane. OP mentioned the lack of chemistry between AR and MR, but the chemistry is off the charts between BB and MR.

MVP: RJ McIntosh, as usual. Runner Up: Jaquan Johnson, as usual.

I was in endzone section 205 on the Bandy pick 6. He was running straight at me for the TD. I will never forget that moment, and I got chills and goosebumps reading that section of this post.

Advertisement
Awesome, Vision. One comment - you mention about how the coaches were talking into microphones waiting for a bandy pick - is that just poetic license/guesswork by you or are you referring to something that actually happened?
Manny confirmed this during his press conference

Awesome, Vision. One comment - you mention about how the coaches were talking into microphones waiting for a bandy pick - is that just poetic license/guesswork by you or are you referring to something that actually happened?

I believe Richt indicated at the end of the game interview he can go back and forth from offense to defense in the headset and he heard them calling for the pick before the play. As for ND calling a time out? They just came off of one. Our coaches are better!

And Bandy is Bandy. He's a true freshman, and he knew what was coming. He's going to be special.

Was waiting for your analysis on the Bandy pick 6, [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

It appears to me that 1) you're opinion that he is going to be good, really good is obviously correct-- not there was a doubt, but add this to your evidence room and 2) Our coaching staff was clearly ahead of ND. Calling for a pick before the play was snapped indicates that you did your homework a lot better than the other guy, but also that you were in complete control of the game. I wonder if the ND coaches recognize that we basically schemed a "free man" in coverage and were hoping the QB would have made a different read. My guess is that is too much to ask from your backup so they were oblivious or should have called a TO.

What is this about the calling the pick, coaches talking in headphones stuff? I must have missed that. Link?

I think they knew they had a "plus" match-up on that side and a chance to make a play on the ball if ND threw it over there true to tendency. The degree to which they truly expected a "pick" might be some poetic license. Kind of like the Babe Ruth story, did he know he was going to hit a homer or was he just really confident he was going to rip that pitcher pretty **** good?

In meetings all day, but I promise I'll come back to you later...

12-takes-glasses-off.jpg

Advertisement

Others have jogged my memory. It was mentioned in press conferences.

I try to keep poetic license out- or at least make it known when I'm switching to my personal feelings.

Last edited:
This is a very strong statement you made OP. Our D is that good???

"Every single player starting on this defense is going to play in the NFL. Every. Single. One. You could make a case that of our 22 players on the defensive two-deep, 18 or 19 will play in the NFL. "

I️ have zero doubt that ten of our starters play in the NFL. Redwine is a guy that may not get drafted, but he will play in the NFL in some capacity I️ believe. Size/durability are concerns, but his ability to play a specialty role will give him added value. He also plays on specials.

The backup LB’s probably won’t play NFL, though Perry has a chance to make a team on specials. Bethel and Moten I’m not sure, but everyone else is playing NFL most likely. I️ really like the athleticism of Carter and Derrick Smith, so I’m making projections there.

There is all kinds of talent on this defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was happy to read this from someone who devotes as much effort into this as you because it was the same thought I had watching the game -- that is a NFL defense out there. I also got the feeling that Deejay is the solution to our redzone problems -- he seems to be one of those guys who is just going to score no matter what. How do you feel about him?

Advertisement
The Bandy int was textbook execution. Glad you pointed out Young's missed opportunity on the int, should have been a pick 6 easy. UM is simply on a different level speed wise than ND. DeeJay is a nice change of pace back and has a nice skillset for improved redzone efficiency, he has a nice jump-step and can get help the oline by getting skinny and squrting through tight spaces. All in all, a great win for the Canes. Looking for a strong close out before the ACC Title Game. Main focus is UVA at 12:00 noon Saturday.

OP I agree with you totally on this.. Not only did Malek drop I think 3 Ints, but he clearly had a easy touchdown with 10 yards to go and 4 blockers in front...

"After Young has the interception I just can’t understand how he didn’t score. Either Mike Smith has to make this block, or really, Young needs to slow down, let his blockers do their thing, go outside of Perry and walk into the end zone. I’m guessing Young has always played defense because he showed no natural running skills on this play. I could be completely wrong and he was an elite return man or something, but he didn’t show it here."

attachment.php

Advertisement
echoing vision's thoughts on mccloud. he really looked like the player we all thought he would be. in general the team just looked incredibly well coached on the defensive side of the ball in this game. the biggest thing for me watching the defense was not only were we faster just naturally, but we were playing faster and to me that's purely about coaching -- preparation, confidence, mentality etc. really beautiful to see.

i think this popped up in another thread, but some really awesome stuff from mccloud here on their first rounder

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/930789005347753984

Fire post man keep it up.

I also want to say when I re-watched the game I noticed a few things that you pointed out early: If ND catches that first wide open bomb TD, they go up 7-0. If Wimbush doesn't overthrow it THREE MORE TIMES in crucial situations especially on third down, and instead is accurate with his passes, ND gets those critical first downs and kicks several field goals or scores touchdowns. This game would have been significantly different.

I do believe we're good. I think we're a solid team and we're still growing... But I also think we didn't come out and dominate because we were superior across the board; rather, it was Wimbush kind of sucking at really important times, and we were able to capitalize on it and take advantage of the opportunities we were given. Oklahoma's and Clemson's offense might not give us those same opportunities.

I also want to say when I re-watched the game I noticed a few things that you pointed out early: If ND catches that first wide open bomb TD, they go up 7-0. If Wimbush doesn't overthrow it THREE MORE TIMES in crucial situations especially on third down, and instead is accurate with his passes, ND gets those critical first downs and kicks several field goals or scores touchdowns. This game would have been significantly different.

I do believe we're good. I think we're a solid team and we're still growing... But I also think we didn't come out and dominate because we were superior across the board; rather, it was Wimbush kind of sucking at really important times, and we were able to capitalize on it and take advantage of the opportunities we were given. Oklahoma's and Clemson's offense might not give us those same opportunities.
Forcing him to throw was on us. If they were running Wimbush wouldn't have to throw. Also it wasn't like he had ages back there to throw. Jackson from VT is a better thrower, so is Dungy and they had bad passing stats.. When you have people bearing down on you, you get rid of it before u want to. This is not No D defense. You sound like one of Notre Dame fans. If we did this and if we did that. They had 4 quarters and couldn't do it. The goal is to force teams to do what they are not really good at doing. 3 picks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

You smoking them funny cigarettes?

There is plenty of ifs by both teams in any game. If 3 or 4 almost interception by our defenders had not been droped Canes may have scored 60 against ND. Final score determined by what is not what if. What if one of the dumber arguments in college football. Just my humble opinion

Last edited:

Notre Dame was the best running team in the nation.
We did exactly what we set out to do.
Make them throw.
I doubt it was ND's game plan to beat us through the air.

You mentioned 4 plays. Can I have 4 plays back?
My god we'd have 4 more National Championships if i can go back in history and change 4 plays.

Saturday night was a display of one team totally DOMINATING the other.
ND had no answers for Miami. Plain and simple.

2 posts?
You have to work on your "cover" skills my friend.
You can now go back to your ND site.

Advertisement
Back