Film Review of GT Game

What I love most about these threads is the last 3rd down run with Homer. In the stands, and on TV, we see a running play stuffed for no gain, but what you showed is a play one blown assignment away from potentially a TD. Changes the perspective quite a lot.
And, that play was really there on 2nd and 11 (the previous play). GT was playing strange alignments. At one point, I'm pretty sure their Safety was lined up next to me up against the wall of the club level.

Advertisement
Wait a second. What's the argument here? Is it that we're running great route concepts or that we're not in order to limit reads for Rosier (and protect him)? Or both?

And, how does HurricaneVision's review (which does not go through every single play, unless I'm missing something) support either? He questioned route concepts (all verts) in some parts. He picked out route combinations he really liked in others.

Outside of the 50/50 balls, I actually didn't have a problem with how we attacked in the passing game. Thought it was pretty solid given Rosier's attributes. But, I don't see any overwhelming evidence from this breakdown supporting either side.

Then you are spot on in your assessment. I don't do every single play (some are straightforward).

I have absolutely no agenda. I go through the plays as they occur on my playbook. I write as I go and often times I'll see a coverage and expect a certain route but that's not what we do. Richt knows a lot more than I do about football so I'm not trying to portray anything different.

My memory is probably hazy, but I thought I did show a play where McCloud made a nice play and pointed it out, but I could be wrong.

I totally agree we attacked well in the passing game outside of the frequency of back-shoulder throws, and even that got them to adjust their zones to protect against them and we picked up a nine yard gain because of it on an important drive in the game. I'd have even liked to take more of the bubbles. That is really hard to guard against when we block well on the edge and they play us so soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the past 2 games, I've repeatedly yelled things I never thought I would:

1. "DON'T BLITZ" (FSU) - I traditionally love the blitz and want us to err on the side of aggression.
2. "THROW THE BUBBLE" (GT) - Not a huge fan of the bubble, but GT was giving it up via sheer alignment.

Makes sense considering this season is bizarro world so far.

LOL, that is exactly what I was screaming at the television, too. I love blitzing and hate bubbles, but you got to exploit your opponent's weakness.

On the over-blitzing, I would get so mad when our LBs or safeties got washed out in an attempted rush when Blackmon clearly couldn't throw into coverage. Let our front 3/4 do their job, they're **** good at it. And only come in when the element of surprise is there.

On the bubble screens, ever since MD cut our defense to ribbons in that first game of the not-so-Golden Era with bubble screens, I've paid attention to the cushion we give vs. the cushion our opponents give. That twin set was there for the taking throughout the game. Richt clearly put it in his back pocket to use if needed. He was more patient than me.

OP is a freaking dude! He breaks down the plays with incredible clarity for us mortal folks. I think MJ is a pretty good CB BTW.

Great work, appreciate immensely and the conclusion about winning is the bottom line. Not a twitter user but 100% support. GO CANES!

Wait a second. What's the argument here? Is it that we're running great route concepts or that we're not in order to limit reads for Rosier (and protect him)? Or both?

And, how does HurricaneVision's review (which does not go through every single play, unless I'm missing something) support either? He questioned route concepts (all verts) in some parts. He picked out route combinations he really liked in others.

Outside of the 50/50 balls, I actually didn't have a problem with how we attacked in the passing game. Thought it was pretty solid given Rosier's attributes. But, I don't see any overwhelming evidence from this breakdown supporting either side.

Then you are spot on in your assessment. I don't do every single play (some are straightforward).

I have absolutely no agenda. I go through the plays as they occur on my playbook. I write as I go and often times I'll see a coverage and expect a certain route but that's not what we do. Richt knows a lot more than I do about football so I'm not trying to portray anything different.

My memory is probably hazy, but I thought I did show a play where McCloud made a nice play and pointed it out, but I could be wrong.

I totally agree we attacked well in the passing game outside of the frequency of back-shoulder throws, and even that got them to adjust their zones to protect against them and we picked up a nine yard gain because of it on an important drive in the game. I'd have even liked to take more of the bubbles. That is really hard to guard against when we block well on the edge and they play us so soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the past 2 games, I've repeatedly yelled things I never thought I would:

1. "DON'T BLITZ" (FSU) - I traditionally love the blitz and want us to err on the side of aggression.
2. "THROW THE BUBBLE" (GT) - Not a huge fan of the bubble, but GT was giving it up via sheer alignment.

Makes sense considering this season is bizarro world so far.

I think we all came to hate the bubble due to James Coley's insistence on running it every **** 1st and 3rd down regardless of situation or defensive alignment. Back then I was screaming at the TV,

"Oh! Like they haven't seen that **** before! Just give the **** ball to Duke so we can get a first down. Jesus Christ! What are we now? 1 for 11 on 3rd down? ************!"

I'm paraphrasing of course. What I've noticed, or at least I think I have, is that Rosier only looks at one side of the field at the time. It's not that we don't run routes to the middle, or that Rosier won't throw to the middle. If the route that goes to the middle does not come from the same side of the field as his primary, he'll never see it. Look at the end of the FSU game. He over threw two passes in a row to Cager on a vert route. From what I could tell, Cager and Langham were both running verts, and Berrios ran a square in from the slot to Langham's side. Berrios was open both plays, but Rosier never even looked that way. The third down was the same play, but the routes were flipped. Verts on the edges, and Berrios running a square OUT from the slot. He's wide open again and this time Rosier sees him.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] and I talked earlier this week about GaTech's funny defensive alignment. Looked like a 4-2-5 with the secondary lined up way off the ball. GaTech showed an awful lot of respect for the deep passing threat. IMO, you can't both love the bubbles and Homer running at a 6 man box all day, AND hate the vert routes.

Advertisement
McCloud's play is baffling. I have to think we see noticeable improvement going forward.

At this point you just have to think he's currently a low football IQ player. His best game by far was the bowl game against WVU, where he had the luxury of excess time to be coached up. The turnover of learning about different schemes and matchups in the short timeframe of week to week seems to be too much for him right now.

Hopefully it's just part of the continued growth process for him and he becomes the player we all hope he can become.

Why the **** did GT have their Nickle 10 yards off of our #2 receiver? SMH

Somebody gets paid a lot of money to make that decision.

We should've started the game off throwing bubble after bubble.

What I love most about these threads is the last 3rd down run with Homer. In the stands, and on TV, we see a running play stuffed for no gain, but what you showed is a play one blown assignment away from potentially a TD. Changes the perspective quite a lot.
And, that play was really there on 2nd and 11 (the previous play). GT was playing strange alignments. At one point, I'm pretty sure their Safety was lined up next to me up against the wall of the club level.

Last row of the lower bowl? Those are good seats.

Advertisement
going back to the app st game last year, down to the bowl game, and now the final drives against FSU & GT this year, our offense has always seemed most in rhythm when we're easily ripping off chunks of yards on those bubble screens. as people have talked about before, our WR blocking under dugans has been unreal (greg mcelroy correctly called this out in the FSU game) and malik and brad both are/were good about accurately throwing the pass to lead the receiver upfield. it's a play we consistently execute so why not take those yards when they're there?

The 17th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, & 30th pics down, were all Unbalanced/Tackle Over alignments.

What looked like a slot was ineligible, He was on the LOS and covered up by the Split End.

So we basically had a defender playing pass 1st on an offensive player that couldn't go out for a pass...ie wasting a defender by assignment.

McCloud should've been on the LOS playing the movement of the A Back...and Knowles should've been closer to the LOS playing the block of the ineligible receiver.

Simple.

Cot Dammit, I have been waiting for this all week. [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] awesome job, much appreciate it and **** those people that tl;dl.

Outstanding post.. This could be very good Intel for the staff

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
This really does put that 3rd and 11 run in a different light. I was annoyed at the call from the stands, like everyone else, but this analysis shows that it wasn't just a dumb, mindless run call that almost lost the game for us. With anything approaching proper execution, that's an easy first down and likely more. A 4th and short at worst.

I'd imagine if we started the game throwing bubble after bubble, it would not have been available in the 4Q.

I absolutely look forward to these game film breakdowns every week. The amount of content provided on this site, not just from Pete and company but by mods, staff writers and users in general is incredible.

Great job again [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]. Everybody should read these breakdowns if they want to know the nuts and bolts of our Canes.

Advertisement
He's back...

12-takes-glasses-off.jpg

I'd imagine if we started the game throwing bubble after bubble, it would not have been available in the 4Q.

You know something else you can do when the secondary is playing so far back and the defense gives you a 6 man box? Run the football. Oh wait. Homer ran 20 times for 170.

So despite all the complaints about our route trees on this board this breakdown shows guys running wide open all over the field and our QB making some bad reads/decisions.

Exactly. I've been preaching this for days. So many message board morans blame the playcalling.the fact if the matter is is that Rosier is LIMITED. Richt has been trying to PROTECT him, yet these dumbasses want even MORE risky throws over the middle or complicated route trees.

Ive been arguing with Jedi about this shid since last season. This man is crazyt enough to think Richt, who made his name, off shallow cross concepts forgot how to attack the middle of the field.

Richt knows how to attack the field but he doesn't trust Kaaya or Rosiers consistency. As is quite evident Rosier is suspect af throwing over the middle and trying to fit balls in between the safeties and linebackers.

Yet, still we run plenty of routes over the middle the Rosier just flat out ignores.

Ive been waiting on this thread because I Was sure [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] would see the same misses that I see.

We do not run 4 verts on every third down. Although we can and have. we def. don't do it every third down just because Rosier decides to throw it to the vertical route.

Yup. You're still a ****ing moron.

If im a moron youre a total fuqin ******. Youve been exposed bich.

So stfu and let the big boys talk while you dream about a new innovative OC with fresh route concepts that attack the middle of the field!

Fuqin dolt

Exposed. Are you really THAT retarded?

Everything I said was accurate. Has Richt ADJUSTED his scheme since the second half of the FSU game and during the GT game to run more routes over the middle of the filed...ABSOLUTELY. I said as much on this site after the FSU game.

But that doesn't change the fact that over the course of the ENTIRE SAMPLE SIZE, which spans LAST YEAR as well as THIS YEAR Richt has run a TON of 4 verticals with limited routes attacking the middle of the field is still a correct assessment. Furthermore, none of your *** kissing can change the fact that Richt's play calling cost us the month of October last year.

That's not even taking into account the fact we've had 2 DIFFERENT QUARTERBACKS OVER THAT SPAN and other than the second half of the FSU game and the GT game, BOTH QB's suffered from the same affliction (granted, Rosier's sample size is MUCH smaller)

I know your brain is incapable of taking all of these things into account. I can smell the smoke from here which is your attempt to process all of that...but by all means keep being an *** kissing ******. Meanwhile, I'll keep calling it like I see it.

I applaud what Richt has done schematically over the last game and a half. HOWEVER, I'm going to reserve further praise until I see what happens in those VT and ND games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back