Fill in the blank, this is the best D at Miami since.....

This is the best I can remember since early in the Shannon era maybe. It's been a breathe of fresh air to see aggression and attacking back in Miami. Makes me that much more upset thinking about some of the talent we squandered in that abortion of a defense the previous 5 years.

Advertisement
Lol @ being down on coach Kool when we lead the nation in TFL

Lol @ when you don't have a D-lineman with more than 4.5 sacks, yet think the D-line coach is doing an awesome job. The tackles for loss are a direct result of Diaz's scheme. The heavy amount of blitzing puts a bunch of guys in the backfield. They currently have 30 sacks total for the season, only 19 have come from D-linemen. Take away the FAMU and FAU games and the D-linemen only have 12.5 sacks. I love the improvement we've seen on defense but I'm not going to blindly praise a coach for his "awesome job" when his unit isn't playing up to potential. There's no reason they should have to blitz on obvious passing situations. They should be able to get pressure with the front four and use 7 men in coverage.

Oh so you know so little about football that you think the Dline is just responsible for sacks? Not the fact that our Dline has crushed running games that killed us in past years. Sacks are up, TFL's are up, and guys who were complete busts like Chad Thomas have had productive seasons. Not to mention we lost the guy who led for sacks a week before the season. Of course we don't have a guy with high solo sacks because we haven't had any guys staying healthy on the defensive end all season.

I know that unless they send extra guys on a blitz, they get little to no pass rush against any team with a pulse. Of course sacks and tackles for loss are up, they predicate the entire defense on getting into the backfield. Not to mention the previous defense was hot garbage. Unfortunately, they have to rely on the blitz too often to make all these extra tackles for loss. You do know that Corn Elder is tied for second on the team in sacks? Every DT on the roster has combined for 4.5 sacks this whole season. I'm not saying the defense is bad or that there hasn't been tons of improvement because there has. I'm just saying we got this coach who's built a reputation on turning far less talented D-linemen into pass rushing monsters and this season, I'm just not seeing it from any of our guys. When your twitter handle is "let's meet at the QB" you'd like to think you could coax more than 19 sacks out of your unit over the course of a season. Hopefully they'll be able to improve in that area because a good quarterback is going to hurt them if they have to keep blitzing as much as they do.

Overall the 2010 drastically underachieved, but at times that D was beastly.

IIRC Before that season collapsed folks were talking that our D was just as good as Bama's

[video=youtube_share;LIGQDuK-Mic]https://youtu.be/LIGQDuK-Mic[/video]

Overall the 2010 drastically underachieved, but at times that D was beastly.

IIRC Before that season collapsed folks were talking that our D was just as good as Bama's

[video=youtube_share;LIGQDuK-Mic]https://youtu.be/LIGQDuK-Mic[/video]

holy **** that team was loaded,

Lol @ when you don't have a D-lineman with more than 4.5 sacks, yet think the D-line coach is doing an awesome job. The tackles for loss are a direct result of Diaz's scheme. The heavy amount of blitzing puts a bunch of guys in the backfield. They currently have 30 sacks total for the season, only 19 have come from D-linemen. Take away the FAMU and FAU games and the D-linemen only have 12.5 sacks. I love the improvement we've seen on defense but I'm not going to blindly praise a coach for his "awesome job" when his unit isn't playing up to potential. There's no reason they should have to blitz on obvious passing situations. They should be able to get pressure with the front four and use 7 men in coverage.

Oh so you know so little about football that you think the Dline is just responsible for sacks? Not the fact that our Dline has crushed running games that killed us in past years. Sacks are up, TFL's are up, and guys who were complete busts like Chad Thomas have had productive seasons. Not to mention we lost the guy who led for sacks a week before the season. Of course we don't have a guy with high solo sacks because we haven't had any guys staying healthy on the defensive end all season.

I know that unless they send extra guys on a blitz, they get little to no pass rush against any team with a pulse. Of course sacks and tackles for loss are up, they predicate the entire defense on getting into the backfield. Not to mention the previous defense was hot garbage. Unfortunately, they have to rely on the blitz too often to make all these extra tackles for loss. You do know that Corn Elder is tied for second on the team in sacks? Every DT on the roster has combined for 4.5 sacks this whole season. I'm not saying the defense is bad or that there hasn't been tons of improvement because there has. I'm just saying we got this coach who's built a reputation on turning far less talented D-linemen into pass rushing monsters and this season, I'm just not seeing it from any of our guys. When your twitter handle is "let's meet at the QB" you'd like to think you could coax more than 19 sacks out of your unit over the course of a season. Hopefully they'll be able to improve in that area because a good quarterback is going to hurt them if they have to keep blitzing as much as they do.

I see your point but he's had less than a year with these guys.
Let's see how they improve as we go.

Advertisement

Entering Saturday, Miami has risen from:

96th to fourth nationally in tackles for loss
70th to 23rd in sacks
77th to 16th in points allowed
86th to 16th in yards per play allowed
115th to 22nd in yards per carry allowed

The freshmen linebackers didn't cause all of this. The strength of our defense is the line

Never said the Defense wasn't improved. All I'm saying is 12 sacks in 9 games against FBS competition isn't earth shattering. It's actually quite pedestrian. I'm confident they'll improve next season.

Never said the Defense wasn't improved. All I'm saying is 12 sacks in 9 games against FBS competition isn't earth shattering. It's actually quite pedestrian. I'm confident they'll improve next season.

Its not 12 sacks in 9 games. First off we've played ten FBS teams with a total of 26 sacks. We've moved from 76 to 23rd in sacks and LB's and corners aren't getting sacks unless the Dline is being disruptive and keeping tight ends and runningbacks busy.

Advertisement

Fun fact: Joe Jacskon leads all true freshmen in the nation with 7.5 sacks

Fun fact: Joe Jacskon leads all true freshmen in the nation with 7.5 sacks

FSU's Brian Burns has 9 or so, I believe.

Last time we had a competent defense I'd say 2010....last time we had a good defense, I'll agree and say 06...just tough to remember that yr cause of the scraping in Louisville and having no hands Heyward-bey catching like 2 80 yard tds on us

Joe Jackson looked very good against Duke. They were able to get pressure in the second half without blitzing as much either. I believe Norton even got a sack. It would be nice if they could do that sort of thing consistently, against good competition. I stated earlier that a lot of the D-line's sack numbers came against outmatched FAMU and FAU. They were able to dominate and outmatched Duke line for a large portion of the game. The next step is to do it against good teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back