Fill in the blank, this is the best D at Miami since.....

IDK why, but whenever I see someone say this defense is good I cringe. We have let teams who suck on offense make us look terrible just because we have lucked out with multiple big time drops and a couple redzone turnovers does not make me forget that almost like clock work the teams marched right down the field on us. Defense also needs a lot of work

LOL ^

Advertisement
IDK why, but whenever I see someone say this defense is good I cringe. We have let teams who suck on offense make us look terrible just because we have lucked out with multiple big time drops and a couple redzone turnovers does not make me forget that almost like clock work the teams marched right down the field on us. Defense also needs a lot of work

Your post basically implies that we've gotten lucky on defense. Over 11 games, that's a tremendous and very specific pattern of luck.

I don't count the first 3 games. I'm not saying our defense is bad, they have done very well for what's been given to them. Given the lack of experienced depth and the offense not really helping out. We have done ok about keeping points off the board. But, what I'm talking about is getting off the field faster. ACC teams that we have played almost all have gone over 50% on third down. Teams just plunk their way down the field then we hold up in the red zone. Which carries over from Diaz stint at Miss St. teams would get a bunch of yards and possess the ball longer but were stout in the red zone. So yes the pattern of not giving up as many points is good but there's much more than just not giving up as many points.

If we had safeties that had half a brain....pass defense and 3rd conversions would be much better....just saying

Your avatar makes me cringe.

Your post basically implies that we've gotten lucky on defense. Over 11 games, that's a tremendous and very specific pattern of luck.

I don't count the first 3 games. I'm not saying our defense is bad, they have done very well for what's been given to them. Given the lack of experienced depth and the offense not really helping out. We have done ok about keeping points off the board. But, what I'm talking about is getting off the field faster. ACC teams that we have played almost all have gone over 50% on third down. Teams just plunk their way down the field then we hold up in the red zone. Which carries over from Diaz stint at Miss St. teams would get a bunch of yards and possess the ball longer but were stout in the red zone. So yes the pattern of not giving up as many points is good but there's much more than just not giving up as many points.

Agree on the 3rd down conversions.
We sit at 44%, 75th in the country vs P5.
Last year we were at 42%, 77th in the country vs P5.

We are up in all other defensive stats, including the most important one. Points.
This stat confirms what you just said:
Top 10 in TD's allowed. 99th in FG's.

It's because of the high risk-high reward type D we play.
Those 3rd and long conversions drive me nuts.
As the field gets compressed that hectic style D works to our advantage.

Advertisement

I don't think anyone expected this to be a shutdown defense. If we're going to harp on 3rd down conversion, which of course can be vastly improved, we have to take under consideration factors like:

- we often blitz almost by default, as it keeps really young guys thinking less and having a singular mission on most plays
- we played 4-5 True Frosh way more than any team should
- this defense was not helped by the offense at all, as our O was rocking out 3 and outs at an almost record-setting pace for the majority of the season.

this thread by no means is saying this is a great defense, just a kinda poll of where the board thinks it ranks with recent ones, and which was the last one as good or better

3rd and long D is frustrating at times for sure. Look deeper into those plays on the reply and you'll find one person, usually a young guy or Carter I'd say, that does something just wrong enough that we get beaten on that play. more than A few times a failed re-route on the receiver in cover 2 has led to first down throws in between the corner and our safeties. Corner pushes WR to the inside like he should and that play doesn't happen.

Point being we're not perfect, but we've stood tall most of the year against some very efficient red zone offenses

Advertisement

I don't think anyone expected this to be a shutdown defense. If we're going to harp on 3rd down conversion, which of course can be vastly improved, we have to take under consideration factors like:

- we often blitz almost by default, as it keeps really young guys thinking less and having a singular mission on most plays
- we played 4-5 True Frosh way more than any team should
- this defense was not helped by the offense at all, as our O was rocking out 3 and outs at an almost record-setting pace for the majority of the season.

I agree with you, I wasn't expecting the D to be great whatsoever. Its not just 3rd down, teams also get quite a few first downs on the first 2 downs as well. Yes, we are more aggressive which is fun to watch but we still get walked on short pass by short pass. Its quite infuriating at times. That's all I was saying, with that said the future does look bright with all the youngins showing out and also adding quality depth next year.

Agree on the 3rd down conversions.
We sit at 44%, 75th in the country vs P5.
Last year we were at 42%, 77th in the country vs P5.

We are up in all other defensive stats, including the most important one. Points.
This stat confirms what you just said:
Top 10 in TD's allowed. 99th in FG's.

It's because of the high risk-high reward type D we play.
Those 3rd and long conversions drive me nuts.
As the field gets compressed that hectic style D works to our advantage.

This

And not taking into account other teams luck against us: Missed XP against FSU, Not recovering the fumble against ND. We are considerably better from the past 5 years -- still have a ways to go. We got a good base of young bucks who found out what it's like to play big time ball, but more importantly, have learned how to close out a season after a tough stretch. Our DLine all made up of non-seniors, looks to be poised for big jump after year 2 in a system which saw significantly better than expected results in year 1; no one saw that coming. Our Returning CB's need to lock the *** up or we will see these height touted freshman playing ALOT next year. That can be a huge weakness next year. Caveat being the equalizer if DLine performs as they should.

Advertisement
I'll give credit to the coaches, they've done a good job considering the amount of youth and a lack of talent at some positions. Diaz has been great. He calls an aggressive game and forces the other team's quarterback to have to make plays to beat you. His work with three freshmen linebackers has been notable too. Quarterman, in particular, seems to have really gotten it and is rarely out of position. His tackling technique is also very solid. Rumph has taken a group of corners, who were essentially "Corn Elder and a bunch of other random guys" and made them formidable. They're not lights out and there's still occasional coverage breakdowns but overall they've been good. To be honest, I'd say the coach I'm most disappointed with on defense is Kool. Yes, sacks are way up and the line is overall much imporved but I still see them really struggle to pressure the quarterback with the front four. A majority of the sacks come on blitzes which is great but I'd still rather be able to get consistent pressure with the down linemen and against P5 teams, they're just not getting it done.

I odnt think you should be down on kool, I say that because I noticed on passing downs where the dline should be teeing off and in track stance we go more with exotic blitz package and sometimes only have 3 down lineman. That makes it hard for your dline to flash because in the system they are to eat up blocks and other guys get sacks, we have lb, safeties, corners with sacks in our system. On 3rd down we usually have certain blitz package and on 3rd and long may even just rush 3. It makes it very hard as dlineman to get sacks because in obvious passing situations those opportunities might not be there as much in this system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but only two teams have scored more than 20 points on us and they weren't slackers on offense

Advertisement
Ever, and if you disagree you are bad canes fan and can meat me somewhere.

Lol @ being down on coach Kool when we lead the nation in TFL

Lol @ when you don't have a D-lineman with more than 4.5 sacks, yet think the D-line coach is doing an awesome job. The tackles for loss are a direct result of Diaz's scheme. The heavy amount of blitzing puts a bunch of guys in the backfield. They currently have 30 sacks total for the season, only 19 have come from D-linemen. Take away the FAMU and FAU games and the D-linemen only have 12.5 sacks. I love the improvement we've seen on defense but I'm not going to blindly praise a coach for his "awesome job" when his unit isn't playing up to potential. There's no reason they should have to blitz on obvious passing situations. They should be able to get pressure with the front four and use 7 men in coverage.

Agreed on 2006. The 2006 team lost 4 games where the defense gave up 17 points or less. 2006 was painful on offense.

Hats off to the players and staff on this years defense. They've played way above what I expected.

After the defense lost Grace, and then to be forced to play with so many injuries that 4-5 True Frosh were on the field together for periods, the defense simply played way above their collective abilities. And, that's all you can really hope for from a coach and his players. Doesn't mean they don't or won't have flaws going forward, but what else can be asked for from this unit? I still can't believe they held UNC to 20 points with a mash unit.

Exactly. I can't wait to watch the defense next year with more depth. #SEC

Lol @ being down on coach Kool when we lead the nation in TFL

Lol @ when you don't have a D-lineman with more than 4.5 sacks, yet think the D-line coach is doing an awesome job. The tackles for loss are a direct result of Diaz's scheme. The heavy amount of blitzing puts a bunch of guys in the backfield. They currently have 30 sacks total for the season, only 19 have come from D-linemen. Take away the FAMU and FAU games and the D-linemen only have 12.5 sacks. I love the improvement we've seen on defense but I'm not going to blindly praise a coach for his "awesome job" when his unit isn't playing up to potential. There's no reason they should have to blitz on obvious passing situations. They should be able to get pressure with the front four and use 7 men in coverage.

Oh so you know so little about football that you think the Dline is just responsible for sacks? Not the fact that our Dline has crushed running games that killed us in past years. Sacks are up, TFL's are up, and guys who were complete busts like Chad Thomas have had productive seasons. Not to mention we lost the guy who led for sacks a week before the season. Of course we don't have a guy with high solo sacks because we haven't had any guys staying healthy on the defensive end all season.

Advertisement
Back