Ferman says no Zo

This is sink or swim for both of them. It’s a shame that a first year coach like Manny who had such a disappointing (yes horrible!) first year is so resistant to getting as much help as possible to turn this program around. Instead, he is going to do it his way and let his ego take the lead. And will probably be his downfall! I am not convinced changing the OC is going to fix our problems.

I don’t know. Alonzo coming aboard probably helps Blake more than Manny for the upcoming season. If our record is subpar then Manny is likely gone with him around or not. However, it’s Blake who should be scrambling to hand football off to someone - giving him some hope of holding on regardless of the 2020 outcome.

Advertisement
I can absolutely see Manny going out and hiring a hot social media name (per fans) like Rhett Lashlee quick to keep the pitchforks at bay and try to show UM doesn't need Zo. There's no way Manny is going to be on board with giving up any power, or perceived power.

I agree.

What's more is that it appears they decided to hire Lashlee as soon as he interviewed. Then they went and interviewed an OC from another ACC school strictly for optics. That way those pesky fans won't be able to ask why we hired someone without interviewing anyone else (mumble mumble - like Manny Diaz - cough cough). At least thats the way it appeared to me. Interviewing an old guard OC from another ACC school? It just didn't seem like anything besides checking a box so Manny could hire Lashlee more quickly.

I agree.

What's more is that it appears they decided to hire Lashlee as soon as he interviewed. Then they went and interviewed an OC from another ACC school strictly for optics. That way those pesky fans won't be able to ask why we hired someone without interviewing anyone else (mumble mumble - like Manny Diaz - cough cough). At least thats the way it appeared to me. Interviewing an old guard OC from another ACC school? It just didn't seem like anything besides checking a box so Manny could hire Lashlee more quickly.
Quite a few OCs were interviewed

Yep. The only way that switching coordinators works is if the HC is a good leader and the other side of the ball is in capable hands.

It worked at LSU because the players play hard for O, and Aranda is a proven solid DC. LSU’s defensive numbers slipped this year with the increased offensive pace, but it was a net overall huge victory because the rest of the program was already in good hands and solid.

We are going to increase tempo nearly two-fold, yet we have 4 CBs on the roster and a freshman DC. It could get dicey. When it does, will Manure panic and tell Lashlee to slow things down? Then, what’s the effect of that? Once you start fcking with the OC you brought in because of his tempo what does that do? We’ll see.

These are excellent points. Lashlee and his tempo are needed. But some fans that think an OC is all we need, need to take a look at the big picture. Our defense was never elite, regardless of what the misleading stats tell you.

As you've mentioned, we have 4 CBs on the roster right now (grad transfer CB is the biggest need this cycle) and one injury puts us back significantly. On top of that, Blake Baker has more than shown his warts this season. Our defense was better once Manny got more involved - but that begs the question, if you have to constantly oversee the defense as a HC, then its time to get a replacement DC as well (that can bring in his own staff). I have a feeling we're going to be talking about the defense being the one that's dropping the ball next season.

Advertisement
I had not heard that. Who all was interviewed besides Lashlee and the old guy from UVA?
Heckendorf was interviewed, Brady was contacted and didn't decline but would have taken too long to interview, Anae was contacted but not interviewed, Yost was contacted but not interested, and a couple others were actually interviewed but I didn't hear the names, pretty sure Manny kept it close to vest. The only reason Lashlee was leaked when it hasn't even been finalized yet is Zo.

Heckendorf was interviewed, Brady was contacted and didn't decline but would have taken too long to interview, Anae was contacted but not interviewed, Yost was contacted but not interested, and a couple others were actually interviewed but I didn't hear the names, pretty sure Manny kept it close to vest. The only reason Lashlee was leaked when it hasn't even been finalized yet is Zo.
Explain that last part please.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You don’t think Rhett Lashlee was a good Choice? If he was the first choice, the first interview? Then what’s the problem

Im buying into the hope-hype today so yes, I think the Lashlee hire was a good choice. Was he the best choice? Im not so sure. The hiring process seemed shortened. Thats the same failure mode UM's AD has had in previous coaching hires, hence Im a bit skeptical.

The funny part about everyone talking records and schedule is they forget that Miami is the bad team on the schedules...

Advertisement
Im buying into the hope-hype today so yes, I think the Lashlee hire was a good choice. Was he the best choice? Im not so sure. The hiring process seemed shortened. Thats the same failure mode UM's AD has had in previous coaching hires, hence Im a bit skeptical.
The selection and announcement of Lashlee was rushed bc of the Zo situation so I agree with you on this front. Miami still a circus operation even though we landed a top OC.

you don’t move quick, or you slow ball a candidate and you can just as easily lose them. If you identify 3 top candidates, you interview them early in the process, offer the job, if they accept, you accept. If he fails it won’t because he wasn’t a good choice or a coach...idk how much vetting you have to do.

you don’t move quick, or you slow ball a candidate and you can just as easily lose them. If you identify 3 top candidates, you interview them early in the process, offer the job, if they accept, you accept. If he fails it won’t because he wasn’t a good choice or a coach...idk how much vetting you have to do.

While I agree in a vacuum, that mindset netted us Randy Shannon, Manny Diaz, et al.

Surely you wait for Brady?

Advertisement
Back