Feldman on Finebaum

Anyone who waves the Kiffin banner should be forced to meat me at the parking garage next to Greentree tomorrow afternoon @ 2:30pm

Bring your galoshes.

Advertisement
Just give me a competent HC who knows XOs, can hire good coordinators, make in game adjustments, and run a program. Any halfway decent coach, who can get along with recruits parents, would kill it down here. Chip Kelly (never gonna happen) would win immediately and destroy teams immediately. While I would love to say Scott Frost, he has no real experience, and we need someone with experience IMO.

Put me in the group that thinks Kiffiin can grow and become a good HC. However, we are not in a position to see if someone is going to get better as a coach.

I'm with you here but I am also of the opinion that whoever hires Scott Frost will be getting an excellent coach. I agree that experience is much preferred given our situation but I think Frost is going to be a good one and I mean really good.

If you're arguing that Butch was a great game day HC shoot yourself in the toe. If you're arguing *****in has anywhere near the proven track record of building a program as Butch does shoot yourself in the mouth.

Butch was not a great game day coach. Never was. Never will be. What he is is a guy who is unrivaled when it comes to identifying HS talent that translates to college football greatness and developing that talent.

There's never been a better evaluator of HS football talent in the history of the game. He built and developed the greatest roster in the history of college football.

****, he built such a staggeringly loaded roster that Larry fcking Coker went undefeated for two full years with those guys. Let that sink into your wading pool deep brains, feqgits. Then, just shut the fck up and quit polluting the internet with your mindlessness.

Lulz at these dumb dycks trying to parallel that proven empty-headed loser *****in to Butch.

That's the point! The guy is STILL young enough to be evolving as an HC.

He's 40 ... The same age Mike Gundy was when he was figuring out how to win at Oklahoma State, but before he became the guy anyone would be interested in hiring at Miami.

When Chip Kelly was 40, he was the OC at New Hampshire!

Kiffin is not a finished product ... And some of the people writing him off today will be the same people griping about why/how Miami "missed" hiring him if he goes someplace else, and blows up.

The same way folks were knocking the gimmicky spread offense Oregon runs, and had to have a "pro-style" HC at Miami.

Now, folks are throwing our Scott Frost and Lincoln Riley as "guys to watch".

Seriously, I don't care if we hire Kiffin. I don't think he would be a bad hire, but I'm saying he's "can't miss", either.

But I'm not accepting that what Butch did 20 years, that he hasn't replicated since, is any more likely to occur than Kiffin coming to Miami and being our next "right coach".

And I'd probably take Dana Holgorsen and Chad Morris, too ...

..... 2 MORE WEEKS UNTIL THE FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS

People are interested in hiring Mike Gundy? After last season?

I would take him. OSU looked great against FSU and then the QB went down and the team kind of circled the drain. I think this year is the rubber year.

My issue with Gundy is that he's at his alma mater with an open checkbook from T Boone and still hasn't had that program take the next step. I think he could definitely have success if he moved to another school in that geographical region or the $EC but I'm not sure he'd be a fit here. That said, his resume prior to last season is pretty solid. I'd just have about 10 guys in college ahead of him on my list of possible replacements for us.

Do you think the reason he hasn't taken that next step is because there's only so much forward progress he can make at OSU ala Jimmy Johnson? I mean he's 84-44 in 10 years there and that's while playing against really good Texas and Oklahoma teams up until 2011 and now very good TCU and Baylor teams and probably getting the 7th best recruits in the conference.

In fairness, he'd probably be my 8th phone call on the list mainly because I think T. Boone would shell out boatloads of money and I don't think Gundy even really wants to leave.

I think your second paragraph is spot on. I actually kinda see him being a Mark Richt type in that conference. There forever and always almost knocking on the door but a perennial also-ran.

I'm not well versed enough in Big 12 football to know if he's maxed out in Stillwater. It just seems that since Texas has been down that you have the Baylors and TCU's of that conference taking some strides where one may have thought OSU would have been more primed to jump ahead of them in filling that void.

People are interested in hiring Mike Gundy? After last season?

I would take him. OSU looked great against FSU and then the QB went down and the team kind of circled the drain. I think this year is the rubber year.

My issue with Gundy is that he's at his alma mater with an open checkbook from T Boone and still hasn't had that program take the next step. I think he could definitely have success if he moved to another school in that geographical region or the $EC but I'm not sure he'd be a fit here. That said, his resume prior to last season is pretty solid. I'd just have about 10 guys in college ahead of him on my list of possible replacements for us.

Do you think the reason he hasn't taken that next step is because there's only so much forward progress he can make at OSU ala Jimmy Johnson? I mean he's 84-44 in 10 years there and that's while playing against really good Texas and Oklahoma teams up until 2011 and now very good TCU and Baylor teams and probably getting the 7th best recruits in the conference.

In fairness, he'd probably be my 8th phone call on the list mainly because I think T. Boone would shell out boatloads of money and I don't think Gundy even really wants to leave.

I think your second paragraph is spot on. I actually kinda see him being a Mark Richt type in that conference. There forever and always almost knocking on the door but a perennial also-ran.

I'm not well versed enough in Big 12 football to know if he's maxed out in Stillwater. It just seems that since Texas has been down that you have the Baylors and TCU's of that conference taking some strides where one may have thought OSU would have been more primed to jump ahead of them in filling that void.

The Mark Richt comparison is smart. He does seem to fall into that category of always quality but can't get over the hump.

I'm not either but after a brief scatter look through recruiting rankings and such it does seem he's only getting a slightly above par player. But you make a good point that if TCU and Baylor were able o break through when the opportunity knocked, how come OSU hasn't? I think a lot of that might stem from the fact that their QB who looked so good against FSU went down but who knows? Maybe this year he bounces back like he has before.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back