Favorite Non-Football Orange Bowl Memory

Advertisement
For those of us old enough to have visited the Orange Bowl before it was dismantled, what’s your favorite non-football memory? Obviously, most of our memories of that grand stadium are associated with football, but rather than a certain game or a specific play, what else comes to mind when you think of the old OB? For me, it was sitting next to my dad on a few glorious Saturdays in the early 90s. He died in 1994, and I’d give anything to spend another afternoon with him now.

So, how about you? What’s your favorite memory? Your first kiss, perhaps? Or maybe your first fight? A great concert? The possibilities are endless, and I’d like to read about your experience.

Go Canes!
Raised my kids Cane fans and my youngest for his senior trip, wanted to go to the Orange Bowl for a Canes game.

Watching him walk around surrounded by Canes, couldn't believe how big his eyes were! Growing up in GA and surrounded by dawg fans, he always repped the Canes and took a lot of flak for it, but this experience was beyond anything he could have imagined!

Watching the hailstorm of cups, beers, food items, etc. raining down on the jackhole who showed up to a UM-FSU game wearing a Gaytor jersey. Folks in the upper deck were getting in on it too.

SO SO SO many. An end zone fight at a Phins vs Jets games, in the early 80s. People were just falling down from row to row it was one of the biggest fights I have ever seen at a game and somehow I was in the middle of it since the end zone was my spot for both Canes and Phins.

I also remember the fans we were all one there, fans were loud and we fed the team and the team fed us. It was a blast!, Beer was cold and few few bathrooms, I saw one too many high end officials, attorneys peeing in places that was just not proper for human beings. Loved how for big games they put metal seats in the open end zone and that just made the stadium more intimidating and sat over 80,000. The many many cookouts in the neighborhood front yards and the OB bar across the stadium selling cold beer before and after the game.

You always had the feel that the stadium was going to collapse any moment for big games. Had to leave the wife and kids home for the ND and FSU games it just wants right to bring them to the end zone!!!! Which by the way was unassigned seating.
I saw a lot of that free-range peeing pregame at the Rose Bowl. Not talked about in the loftier discussions of college football but it's there..a fact of life, like bags. Someday it might all come out.

I do remember peeing in the bathroom for the VIP box, when I was able to visit there one game because of my volunteer work for the Hurricane Club. It was weird. I was wondering if my pee would actually enter a system of plumbing.

Not to hi-jack, but I remember after one of the Monsters of Rock shows at Miami Stadium the grounds crew talking about all the weed that sprouted in the outfield due to people dropping seeds during the show.
City of Miami Perks..

Advertisement
Watching the hailstorm of cups, beers, food items, etc. raining down on the jackhole who showed up to a UM-FSU game wearing a Gaytor jersey. Folks in the upper deck were getting in on it too.

Now that's a dumb phukken Gator ...

Day after the last home game ( I know some what football related) - my 5 year old son and I drove by the stadium before catching a flight back to california - side gate was open and we walked on to the middle of the field and took pictures & videos
- Much better way to say good bye than the s*&tstorm the night before

Advertisement
Back