Favorite Non-Football Orange Bowl Memory

Category_5

Recruit
For those of us old enough to have visited the Orange Bowl before it was dismantled, what’s your favorite non-football memory? Obviously, most of our memories of that grand stadium are associated with football, but rather than a certain game or a specific play, what else comes to mind when you think of the old OB? For me, it was sitting next to my dad on a few glorious Saturdays in the early 90s. He died in 1994, and I’d give anything to spend another afternoon with him now.

So, how about you? What’s your favorite memory? Your first kiss, perhaps? Or maybe your first fight? A great concert? The possibilities are endless, and I’d like to read about your experience.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
SO SO SO many. An end zone fight at a Phins vs Jets games, in the early 80s. People were just falling down from row to row it was one of the biggest fights I have ever seen at a game and somehow I was in the middle of it since the end zone was my spot for both Canes and Phins.

I also remember the fans we were all one there, fans were loud and we fed the team and the team fed us. It was a blast!, Beer was cold and few few bathrooms, I saw one too many high end officials, attorneys peeing in places that was just not proper for human beings. Loved how for big games they put metal seats in the open end zone and that just made the stadium more intimidating and sat over 80,000. The many many cookouts in the neighborhood front yards and the OB bar across the stadium selling cold beer before and after the game.

You always had the feel that the stadium was going to collapse any moment for big games. Had to leave the wife and kids home for the ND and FSU games it just wants right to bring them to the end zone!!!! Which by the way was unassigned seating.

1) $20 No Blocking! $20 No Blocking!
2) Drunk Chicken-on-a-Stick on the way out.
3) Wearing a Twinkie costume with a sign that read "Drew Weatherford is a Twink" to my first Noles/Canes game, then puking between my legs in the bleachers in the second half of a disgusting loss that featured no touchdown passes and 3 combined yards rushing. More fun in hindsight than in the moment...

Monsters of Rock in 1988. Great concert, great fights, and the absolute largest food fight ever!

Advertisement
Standing in six inches of gray water while I ****ed into a trough and looking down just in time to get out of the way of a **** that was floating right towards me like a sailboat.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, and The Doobie Brothers in mid 70's. It was so **** hot and humid, some of the girls were taking their blouses off.

Also, my father was the OB Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. The first time I got to go in the locker rooms was surreal. I also got to go in the press boxes before game times - usually several hours before kick off. Free beer and hot dogs in the old lower press box and a huge buffet in the newer upper press box.

Advertisement
Aaron Pryor-Allexius Arguello in the early 80's. Pryor by TKO in the 14th round. Also a movie "The Perez Family" shot a bunch of scenes in The Orange Bowl.

As a kid in the 80’s, I thought it was funny watching opposing fans walk through Little Havana back to their cars. Just got their *** beat listening to “There’s some Canes over here”, the smell of fresh Arepa in the air, speed walking to the car looking Shook AF...Miss that

Yep, Hard Rock Stadium is very nice now, but it will never have the “welcome to the jungle” vibe of the Orange Bowl back in the day!

Advertisement
One of my favorite moments was tailgating with @TheOriginalCane and some other Rivals posters back in the day (2006?). Remember we were jamming out to 2 Live Crew in the car on the way to the OB and asking the name of the song that turned out to be "The Fvck Shop". Good times.

FSU was our first game and they were ranked number 1 and they had made a rap song with Deion and company...I made a sign that said "Turn the FSU" rap into the "FSU Blues". Before the game, TV asked for my sign and I said only if my friends could be filmed with it. Next Jimmy Johnson show opened with my sign...We skunked them...

Weird Memory is wading in urine and having ladies use the men's room since the ladies rooms were so slow and crowded.

Best memory was after we beat Kerwin Bell's number one ranked Gators and not wanting to leave the stadium...it was the last game they played us in the OB and dropped us from future schedules. We shut them out except we gave them 2 points by snapping the football over the punters head for a safety.

I had an extra ticket for a game during the late 80's, and just before an evening game I stopped by one of my watering holes (Dew Drop Inn) and found someone to go with me... a regular at the bar. Dude was a character, but good people, right? During the game he says that he wants to see if his friend is in the motorhome. There was a sponsor who would park his motorhome in the east end zone... I believe it was Flanigan's or Tony Romas. So we got there and he opened the door and yelled in "anybody home"... when nobody answered he said "come in they are good friends of mine and they don't mind". We went in and he went directly to the beer tap, and it was empty. So he found a spare keg in a fridge and he tapped it and poured ourselves a couple of giant beers. A little later he says I got to go take a crap and I don't want to stink up the vehicle so we leave with our beers but before we step out he takes a nice Canes cap from the dash. I say " what are you doing" and he says "they are really cool... they don't care". When we got back to the seats and I ask him "so how long do you know these people?" … he says "I don't know who the fvck they are, but I got a free hat".
To this day I can't believe I was (unknowingly) part of a crime... and super guilty of naivety.

Advertisement
1) $20 No Blocking! $20 No Blocking!
2) Drunk Chicken-on-a-Stick on the way out.
3) Wearing a Twinkie costume with a sign that read "Drew Weatherford is a Twink" to my first Noles/Canes game, then puking between my legs in the bleachers in the second half of a disgusting loss that featured no touchdown passes and 3 combined yards rushing. More fun in hindsight than in the moment...

Sigh. It's "$20 blocky, $40 no blocky".

Aaron Pryor-Allexius Arguello in the early 80's. Pryor by TKO in the 14th round. Also a movie "The Perez Family" shot a bunch of scenes in The Orange Bowl.

Ooh. Now that's a memory! They had a few battles. Didn't know any of them were in the OB.

Forgot about the great boxing fights Pryor-Arguello was crazy I was there with my dad! Michael Jackson concert was pretty wild and packed as well.

Advertisement
Back