Fast break offense is back. Richt wants to go uptempo

To be fair, Bama has the best HC in the history of college football, who almost never allows his team to sag mentally and take any opponent lightly, and the number 1 recruiting class every year. They can win by just lining their guys up and beating everyone one on one.

How'd that philosophy translate to UF with Muscrap? How'd it work for Chizik at Auburn when he tried to out-Saban Saban after Malzahn left?

Saban (distant relative of Miami's Lou Saban btw) is certainly one of the best NCAA HCs. He is also one of the best program resourced HCs too...an advantage for sure. Would be great to see an in-their-prime Johnson vs Saban matchup.

Bama is doing to their opponents what Miami did to theirs in the 80s--expolit capabilities gaps.

In the 80s, Miami used a "fast attack" style athlete on both sides of the ball to wreck the schemes of the legacy Big 8/SWC/SEC/et al that used bigger, slower, and more plodding athletes. Most of the time, Miami's superior pace jumped on those teams early bith in the O and D, and they just couldnt catch up. That type of dismantling was really on display in Miami's win over UT in the Cotton Bowl.

Now fast forward to today's game. Saban is using bigger athletes, who are just fast enough, to pound the spread and/or "fast attack" teams into submission. His teams don't let the opponent get the upper hand, and by 3Q, the sheer size and pounding Bama puts in the driver's seat.

Its just the natural cycle. Other teams copied or schemed ways to beat the dominant Hurricane squads, so too will teams do the same to today's Bama.

Saban has lightning in a bottle right now, but everyone has their hammers out looking to smash it.

So many have tried to copy the greats (the list is loooonnngg), but that is really their fatal flaw. When they copy, they stop being who they are and often then get exposed to frauds.

The greats are always informed by the other greats, but in the end, they always do it their own way.

Excellent post Jeep.

Advertisement
To be fair, Bama has the best HC in the history of college football, who almost never allows his team to sag mentally and take any opponent lightly, and the number 1 recruiting class every year. They can win by just lining their guys up and beating everyone one on one.

How'd that philosophy translate to UF with Muscrap? How'd it work for Chizik at Auburn when he tried to out-Saban Saban after Malzahn left?

Saban (distant relative of Miami's Lou Saban btw) is certainly one of the best NCAA HCs. He is also one of the best program resourced HCs too...an advantage for sure. Would be great to see an in-their-prime Johnson vs Saban matchup.

Bama is doing to their opponents what Miami did to theirs in the 80s--expolit capabilities gaps.

In the 80s, Miami used a "fast attack" style athlete on both sides of the ball to wreck the schemes of the legacy Big 8/SWC/SEC/et al that used bigger, slower, and more plodding athletes. Most of the time, Miami's superior pace jumped on those teams early bith in the O and D, and they just couldnt catch up. That type of dismantling was really on display in Miami's win over UT in the Cotton Bowl.

Now fast forward to today's game. Saban is using bigger athletes, who are just fast enough, to pound the spread and/or "fast attack" teams into submission. His teams don't let the opponent get the upper hand, and by 3Q, the sheer size and pounding Bama puts in the driver's seat.

Its just the natural cycle. Other teams copied or schemed ways to beat the dominant Hurricane squads, so too will teams do the same to today's Bama.

Saban has lightning in a bottle right now, but everyone has their hammers out looking to smash it.

So many have tried to copy the greats (the list is loooonnngg), but that is really their fatal flaw. When they copy, they stop being who they are and often then get exposed to frauds.

The greats are always informed by the other greats, but in the end, they always do it their own way.

Excellent post Jeep.

I love JJ and hate Saban but I am not sure JJ was a better coach. Jimmy lost two NC games before he won one. He should have one 3 in a row. Then again, Nick had a lot more experience by the time he got to Bama than JJ did arriving here. I will say the our teams would never lose to Bama, or anyone, twice in a row and Bama's success now has a lot to do with us NOT being in play.

From a psyche perspective, care to share your obvious obsession with homoerotic imagery?

Careful, Cane Dynasty. This dude's looking to lure you into some **** chats about ghey stuff. Should have figured this was coming after he gobbled up Assy Booger's nonsensical blathering.

Advertisement
well that escalated quickly. Anyway - cool thoughts about the offense, huh?

Done. Get back to the thread please and take the e-beef off the boards.

Given the athletes Miami has a tight end, I'd say the best chance for exploiting mismatches would be to employ more two tight sets or tightend/H-back combos. The defense is forced to counter with their base package or risk getting run over. Now you get the added factor of the defense having to use a linebacker in coverage against Njoku or Herndon which is Miami's most exploitable mismatch opportunity. It's as simple as running more out of pass looks and passing more out of run looks. If Miami shows 12 personnel, they have the option of lining up tight in a power formation, splitting one or both tight ends out, or even motioning Herndon into the backfield as a defacto fullback.

Advertisement
I think we'll definitely see the TEs used in mulitple ways exactly as you described. We'll see a LOT of Herndon and Njoku this year, especially given our lack of WR depth.

Page One of this thread was absolutely hysterical, after so many months removed from this board. Predictable posters somehow believing that uptempo meant quarterback and wide receiver emphasis, as if they were envisioning professional football with dainty rules and coddled passing games. You'd be foolish not to abuse the forward pass in that environment, if you have an elite guy behind center.

Page Two restored sanity, with an understanding that college football is still far above 50% rushing attempts. In fact, last season only 17 of 128 Division 1 teams threw the ball 54% of the time or higher. That number stood out to me when I entered the data in my Excel spreadsheets this offseason. I had to go back a full decade, to 2006, to find a similar number. Normally 24-28 college teams are at 54% and above. Could be a blip. We'll see. Contrast to the NFL, where 27 of 32 teams last season were at 54% or above. That is the high water mark. It's been trending upward but never reached 26 or 27 until last year. I pointed out early last season that Tim Reynolds and other geniuses seemingly had no clue that passing had not overtaken the college game, similar to the pros. They detected one trend and attached it everywhere. Brilliant.

Kudos to those astute posters on Page Two. Lethal college football in this era can be described as, "Hurry up and run the ball." That's what Baylor did towards 600+ rushing yards in the bowl against North Carolina, and it's the staple of Oregon and Auburn, among others.

And it's indeed not much more than pounding the rock. Basic plays with tempo and tons of window dressing. The tempo and window dressing often mask how simple the plays are. Normal straight ahead handoffs and blocking schemes. Some of the sharper analysts on the major networks finally got around to pointing that out a few years ago. If you look at the condensed area alone it can still pass for the mid '60s, other than somewhat wider splits among the offensive linemen. Only the jet sweep action and other distracting motion on the flanks and among other backs contributes to spacing the field, along with exhaustion/confusion due to tempo.

The key, of course, is to utilize tempo and the benefits of high volume spreadish rushing attempts while not self-condemning toward cupcake frailty. That's Richt's challenge. Oregon managed to blow a 31-0 lead against a backup quarterback last season in the bowl game against TCU. It was comical. When they needed to be physical it wasn't there. The basic formations weren't there, nor the understanding that not every play had to be run within 14 seconds, when that pace worked against you.

The North Dakota State example was excellent. I was frankly shocked to see it here. I was planning to mention that team, since I bet so many of their games. It's an extremely quarterback friendly system, enabling Wentz to miss significant time without noticeable slide. That team smartly varies formations and tempo due to situation and field position, and not stubbornly married to spread style only, a la Oregon, Baylor, Auburn and pathetic others. North Dakota State generally runs the ball 40-50 times per game and passes 20-30. That's partially enabled due to manpower advantage, one the Canes do not currently enjoy. Still, it's an effective blueprint, and accompanied by creative route schemes. Too often in recent seasons we've been stuck at 10 or 12 rushing attempts at halftime, as I've pointed out. You are forfeiting margin for error and win expectancy.

I don't expect wild airborne formations or frenzied pace. That's not Richt's history, nor seemingly his style. Familiar formations, often blue collar. Faster while retaining strong. Or should I say, restoring strong. Last season was the most disgusting in memory, and I've followed the Canes since boyhood in the Ted Hendricks era, #89 at left defensive end. James Coley somehow brainstormed we needed flatfooted handoffs from the shotgun despite having a quarterback who was less of a running threat than a blue postal box.

It peaked disgraceful at Cincinnati on Thursday night. I attended that game. The opponent was lean but hyper. A couple of stout interior linemen, but not troublesome. Not if we asserted ourselves. Utilize old man football, to borrow Sheldon Richardson's term, and they'll buckle. Like late 4th quarter at North Carolina on a Thursday night in 2013. Instead, it was 60 minutes of sickening finesse. We failed and deserved to fail. Months later the one bowl I savored above all -- for betting purposes and rightful normalcy -- was San Diego State trampling that same Cincinnati team, 42-7. Rocky Long ran smack at the Bearcats 52 times in glorious power sets. Cincinnati was hopeless to stop anything.

My confidence in the Richt hire is he'll understand when to apply that style, to force the opponent to prove it can withstand straight ahead power plays. Saban is wonderful at that. After the surprise loss to Manziel and Texas A&M a few years ago he has rationalized that Sumlin and A&M will make their share of plays on offense, but it won't be enough as long as he wears them out up the gut, and finds a turnover or stop on downs here and there.

First challenge is at Appalachian State. I've been to Boone countless times, albeit not for a football game. That opponent will be similarly lean and hyper. The odds, at least of now, won't be overwhelming in Miami's favor. We might be a 7-13 point favorite, something in that range. Certainly a risk, an unknown, the type of thing the Gators have avoided for a quarter century. I don't know what our tempo will look like but I'm **** sure we won't abuse bubble screens and similarly ridiculous flares toward the sideline while enabling an overmatched roster to soar in confidence and thrive at our wimpy expense.

That last sentence could not have been said any better. So freaking true. We had a knack for playing soft and letting other teams run rough shot over us from the get go which turned us into the over matched team. Just unreal....

Advertisement
Back