Farewell swag 16

theibisrules

Senior
Friday report: Several UM recruits says UM needs to win big games (like Saturday's) to firm up their commitment; 10 Dolphins tidbits; Heat
FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Winning big games such as Saturday’s against Nebraska isn’t merely important in returning this UM program to national relevance. These types of games are also critical in solidifying UM’s oral commitments and snagging uncommitted recruits.

Several Miami targets in the 2016 class have told me that UM’s performance this season, especially in big games, will make a difference in their decision. Essentially, UM needs success to keep this 22-member recruiting class (ranked ninth by ESPN) from losing key pieces.

Columbus three-star linebacker and UM oral commitment Joshua Uche is being heavily courted by Alabama and UF and said Miami absolutely must win this season to firm up his commitment. “I’m not going to say any specific number, but just some success to show progress,” he said.

Same with Hallandale’s Zack Moss, rated the nation’s 31st-best running back prospect by Rivals.

“I want to see them have a good year, win at least 9 or 10 games, have a bowl appearance,” Moss said, adding that UM also must win big games. “If they have a great year, I think they’ll keep all the 2016 commitments.”

Moss said Tennessee, Kentucky and Florida have essentially told him that “the U doesn’t have it this year” and suggested that Al Golden might lose his job.

“I don’t worry about Golden,” Moss said. “They’re stacked everywhere. They have too much talent not to win.”

Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas four-star receiver Sam Bruce, perhaps UM’s most-coveted recruit, chose to attend UF’s opener instead of UM’s and always prefaces his comments by saying “as of now” he’s committed to UM.

So does UM need to win to keep him? “I am looking at it as Miami is going to win 10 games,” he responded. But he also suggested he would look elsewhere if Golden is fired, so UM must win to keep him.

Among the top uncommitted players, UM’s won/loss record is vitally important.

Incoming UM quarterback Jack Allison has said Coconut Creek four-star receiver Binjimen Victor is the player he would most love to add to this 2016 class. But Victor said it’s “most definitely important” that UM wins this year, especially marquee games.

Victor -- who has been heavily linked to UF and Ohio State -- said he is “kind of” worried about the state of the Hurricanes program: “I want a team that wins and a great program that fits my skills.”

His Coconut Creek teammate, four-star Trayvon Mullen --- rated the nation’s No. 6 cornerback --- said UM “is recruiting me hard” but “they’ve got to win more games.” He recently visited FSU.

Uncommitted Flanagan four-star prospect Devin Bush, rated the sixth-best inside linebacker in the 2016 class, said UM “isn’t on my list as much” now because of uncertainty about Golden’s future. And “when they’re not winning as much, it’s a factor. Nobody likes to lose.”

Surprisingly, Bush cited UM’s switch to Adidas as a negative: “They’ve been a Nike school forever and the change to Adidas kind of messed me up a bit. Miami has that tradition of hard-nosed football, Nike, beat you before the kickoff. They kind of changed that mentality. The stature of the team has changed.”

Bush’s top three: Auburn, FSU and Michigan.

Bush’s Flanagan teammate, four-star safety Devin Gil, said myriad factors contributed to him flipping from UM to Michigan in June. Among them: Golden’s job security: “I chose Jim Harbaugh because he just got there and all the big things he accomplished.”

Because of NCAA penalties, UM can give recruits tickets to only one game a year. "This is the game we’re all coming to,” four-game linebacker/oral commitment Shaquille Quarterman told Canesport.com.

Among top uncommitted players expected at Saturday's game, according to Rivals: five-star Georgia-based cornerback/running back Mecole Hardman, who's rated No. 16 overall by Rivals in the 2016 class. UM will be his first visit; he also has scheduled trips to Michigan and Mississippi.

UM can firm up wavering recruits and perhaps add a couple of high-end uncommitted ones by winning more of these big games (Nebraska, FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech). Saturday would be a good start.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Welp it's been nice knowing you

Advertisement
This site is a **** mope fest... Man f_ck off y'all deciding the season is finished when the week hasn't even started yet...

Advertisement
Yikes.

We either win this season, by some miracle, or the wheels come off this suma*****.

Who could possibly save this recruiting class after a disastrous season and a Golden firing? I know this board has some thoughts.

Wait.... I thought banners were the number one reason a recruit would bail... Interesting...

Advertisement
“They’ve been a Nike school forever and the change to Adidas kind of messed me up a bit. Miami has that tradition of hard-nosed football, Nike, beat you before the kickoff. They kind of changed that mentality. The stature of the team has changed.”

This is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard from a kid. How exactly does Nike beat you before a kickoff?

This kid is soft as **** if he truly thinks that and I'm glad he isn't coming to Miami.

So these kids will play for Golden but not Butch or Chud? If we hire the right man for the job I'm not worried.

No recruit is more important than a coaching change.

I don't care if they all leave if Golden gets fired.

They can follow him to ******* Rutgers if they love him so much.

Tomorrow is going to tell us a lot about our future. We don't win tomorrow, Golden is done. There is no coming back from a loss tomorrow, at least not realistically. Bad spot for coach, because a win doesn't solidify his future at all. He needs to win the coastal to be secure.

Advertisement
“They’ve been a Nike school forever and the change to Adidas kind of messed me up a bit. Miami has that tradition of hard-nosed football, Nike, beat you before the kickoff. They kind of changed that mentality. The stature of the team has changed.”

This is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard from a kid. How exactly does Nike beat you before a kickoff?

This kid is soft as **** if he truly thinks that and I'm glad he isn't coming to Miami.

i laughed moreso bc AU is in his top 3 and theyre UA lol

This site is a **** mope fest... Man f_ck off y'all deciding the season is finished when the week hasn't even started yet...

It's an article. The man didn't make it up. I thought you wanted to talk football. Discuss the article instead of whining about fellow posters.

It's just the reality of the situation. You need buzz. Recruits don't want to jump on a sinking ship when they got ALA, UA, and OSU beaten they door down. It's unrealistic to ask them to join us just because.......well......you should be loyal to the hometown team. Give them something to be loyal to!

Advertisement
How yall surprised? Slurpers and mopers knew that in order to keep all these kids in the class we needed to win, who ever reported this is waaaaaaaay behind

Recruits don't want to play for this loser. They're locking up a spot and will decommit if Folden is retained. They'll stay committed if a good replacement is named. Simple stuff.

Everyone knows this is a dead loser program with Folden at the helm, but they know the talent is here to turn it around pretty quickly with a good hire.

I don't care if they all leave if Golden gets fired.

They can follow him to ****ing Rutgers if they love him so much.

I honestly feel like there are some kids in this class that already belong to Jimbo, call me crazy, but Jimbo does this to Al Greaseball every year.

Tomorrow is going to tell us a lot about our future. We don't win tomorrow, Golden is done. There is no coming back from a loss tomorrow, at least not realistically. Bad spot for coach, because a win doesn't solidify his future at all. He needs to win the coastal to be secure.

so you're saying he's toast right?

Advertisement
Back