Official FAll PractiSe #7: Friday August 12

Advertisement
Just saw this in a Canesport article about his interview: (think this is why he looks the way he does!)

Canes did some walkthrough work today.

Cristobal’s take after practice?

Well, as he puts it, “You can tell, I’m not happy.”

The reason: “Today we faded (as practice went on),” the coach said. “This whole `how you do anything is how you do everything’ has got to be an every day thing.”

I mean, this brings tears (of joy) to my slanted eyes...

Corey is more or less just the player coach brother. He won’t play much but Mario loves him. He’s a coaches dream in the locker room . Don’t worry. can promise he isn’t the starter
I remember the same was said about another Cane... ?Redwine?

Hopefully the light will also come on for Corey.

I'm hoping there's a reason Ruiz is giving him near top NIL money from him... about $35,000 for this year

ResizedP_140e7c15-f774-4ef0-b309-bc363befb015_261989139148547.gif

What’s this I hear that George is going to be suspended the first 2 games?

Advertisement
Corey is more or less just the player coach brother. He won’t play much but Mario loves him. He’s a coaches dream in the locker room . Don’t worry. can promise he isn’t the starter
Corey may not be the most physically gifted LB but his character, work ethic, leadership, and locker room presence more than makes up for any limitations he has on the field.

Both kids seem like incredible teammates. And I deeply respect Steed's dad's posts on here. So I've avoided being too harsh..

I had Covid a month ago and rewatched 4 or 5 full games, every snap. My non-expert, just a fan assessment, continues to be that Flagg doesn't have the athleticism to start at a top P5 program. He has the instincts and could have been a standout at a G5. He's just been too slow with too little burst to make plays consistently at Miami against decent or good opponents.

Steed had both instincts and wheels, and I believe was underrated coming out of HS. But his injuries slowed him down. And last season, even in October games, he was tentative at times when playing., And he sometimes chose bad gaps & angles when he made a play on the ball. That's such a Manny thing, though, I saw it in every LB, even Shaq. So I really want to see if Steed is back to full speed (both downhill and short-area burst) and gaining the confidence he needs to get back to being an instinctual player under Strong.

Net/net, I think the jury is still out on Steed. And if he's not ready to strt at a high level, hopefully Johnson, and maybe Chase Smith and Bissainthe, can push him hard and even beat him out. We really really need to up our game at LB this season.
Our LBs definitely need to be better. However…

DLmen shooting gaps to get upfield led to a LOT of guards and centers just running free at our LBs. it was an unenviable position to be in, figuratively and literally.

Yes, Flagg is still a step slow. But I’m giving almost everyone a pass and a chance at a fresh start.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just saw this in a Canesport article about his interview: (think this is why he looks the way he does!)

Canes did some walkthrough work today.

Cristobal’s take after practice?

Well, as he puts it, “You can tell, I’m not happy.”

The reason: “Today we faded (as practice went on),” the coach said. “This whole `how you do anything is how you do everything’ has got to be an every day thing.”

FOR THE PLAYERS

Your coach is not happy about your effort...quit slackin and make this man proud.

Advertisement
Both kids seem like incredible teammates. And I deeply respect Steed's dad's posts on here. So I've avoided being too harsh..

I had Covid a month ago and rewatched 4 or 5 full games, every snap. My non-expert, just a fan assessment, continues to be that Flagg doesn't have the athleticism to start at a top P5 program. He has the instincts and could have been a standout at a G5. He's just been too slow with too little burst to make plays consistently at Miami against decent or good opponents.

Steed had both instincts and wheels, and I believe was underrated coming out of HS. But his injuries slowed him down. And last season, even in October games, he was tentative at times when playing., And he sometimes chose bad gaps & angles when he made a play on the ball. That's such a Manny thing, though, I saw it in every LB, even Shaq. So I really want to see if Steed is back to full speed (both downhill and short-area burst) and gaining the confidence he needs to get back to being an instinctual player under Strong.

Net/net, I think the jury is still out on Steed. And if he's not ready to strt at a high level, hopefully Johnson, and maybe Chase Smith and Bissainthe, can push him hard and even beat him out. We really really need to up our game at LB this season.
Be as harsh as you need to be. Just keep it respectful. This is as healthy as Steed has ever been since his sophomore year out of high school. This a money year for him so he knows he needs to leave it all out on the field. No one on this staff owes anybody anything so whoever they put on the field, best believe they earned the right to be there.

The mental weakness that develops without discipline nor consequences was a big part of our problems in recent memory.

Self-generated adversity and playing to the level of competition made us tough to watch.

Happy to hear it's being called out and will be addressed.

Major concern. He needs to step up. My guess is he is also gone if Steed starts over him
That wouldn't make sense. This is Steed's final year. Steed actually played well last year so him starting over Smith wouldn't be a surprise and Chase is coming off of injury.

If Chase transferred, he'd be enrolling at a new school in the Spring of 2023 and starting over. There are no guarantees anywhere. If he makes the 2-deep this season, he'll be in driver's seat for the 2023 starting role if not this year.

Advertisement
Back