Official FAll PractiSe #7: Friday August 12

Just saw this in a Canesport article about his interview: (think this is why he looks the way he does!)

Canes did some walkthrough work today.

Cristobal’s take after practice?

Well, as he puts it, “You can tell, I’m not happy.”

The reason: “Today we faded (as practice went on),” the coach said. “This whole `how you do anything is how you do everything’ has got to be an every day thing.”
Accountability at Greentree is a welcomed change. No doubt Cristobal demands it. He is not letting up on the throttle.

Advertisement
Relax, Don Bailey Jr has it covered.

LOL....

I will say that DJB's interview of Mallory was excellent. All softball questions of course. But Mallory gave some nuggets there:

"It's been unbelievable [since Cristobal became HC]. He brings everything to the table on and off the field as a head coach. ... He has transformed us. Every single day I just look forward coming here and getting to work for a man like him"

Advertisement
Sounds to me like the WRs can't get open and the QBs are having to force balls, or throw into very tight windows. Mario basically called out the WR group. That's not a good sign with us already knowing we don't have any proven WRs and is a huge question mark for this year's team. Lashlee is not here anymore so the passing game definitely won't be the same explosiveness we daw last year
We saw this in the spring game. Our WRs just arent that good, regardless of their rankings coming out of HS.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Steed is keeping a starting spot thru game 3 at least.
Flagg, ??? Different story.

Both kids seem like incredible teammates. And I deeply respect Steed's dad's posts on here. So I've avoided being too harsh..

I had Covid a month ago and rewatched 4 or 5 full games, every snap. My non-expert, just a fan assessment, continues to be that Flagg doesn't have the athleticism to start at a top P5 program. He has the instincts and could have been a standout at a G5. He's just been too slow with too little burst to make plays consistently at Miami against decent or good opponents.

Steed had both instincts and wheels, and I believe was underrated coming out of HS. But his injuries slowed him down. And last season, even in October games, he was tentative at times when playing., And he sometimes chose bad gaps & angles when he made a play on the ball. That's such a Manny thing, though, I saw it in every LB, even Shaq. So I really want to see if Steed is back to full speed (both downhill and short-area burst) and gaining the confidence he needs to get back to being an instinctual player under Strong.

Net/net, I think the jury is still out on Steed. And if he's not ready to strt at a high level, hopefully Johnson, and maybe Chase Smith and Bissainthe, can push him hard and even beat him out. We really really need to up our game at LB this season.

Advertisement
Both kids seem like incredible teammates. And I deeply respect Steed's dad's posts on here. So I've avoided being too harsh..

I had Covid a month ago and rewatched 4 or 5 full games, every snap. My non-expert, just a fan assessment, continues to be that Flagg doesn't have the athleticism to start at a top P5 program. He has the instincts and could have been a standout at a G5. He's just been too slow with too little burst to make plays consistently at Miami against decent or good opponents.

Steed had both instincts and wheels, and I believe was underrated coming out of HS. But his injuries slowed him down. And last season, even in October games, he was tentative at times when playing., And he sometimes chose bad gaps & angles when he made a play on the ball. That's such a Manny thing, though, I saw it in every LB, even Shaq. So I really want to see if Steed is back to full speed (both downhill and short-area burst) and gaining the confidence he needs to get back to being an instinctual player under Strong.

Net/net, I think the jury is still out on Steed. And if he's not ready to strt at a high level, hopefully Johnson, and maybe Chase Smith and Bissainthe, can push him hard and even beat him out. We really really need to up our game at LB this season.
I agree wholeheartedly with your observations about both players. But I also would add that to me, Steed played faster as the season progressed. I think as he gained confidence he let his instincts take over. I also think inserting Chase into the lineup near the end of the year improved the overall play of the LB group And that made everyone look a little better.

Advertisement
Back