Official Fall Camp PractiSe #4: Saturday, August 5th

Advertisement
Advertisement
Snuck a couple quick views today. I've been curious about OL so I focused my short viewing on that.

I saw snaps of what looked like to me like a scrimmage of what I presume was our 2nd/3rd string. McCoy was LT with Emory at QB. Again, I presume that's a mix of 2nd and 3rd unit. McCoy reminded me of ole Richmond Webb. Tall, leanish kid wearing 78 that stood out height-wise compared to whoever was at LG.

Saw Zion on the sideline. He looked fine to me. He looked like he was in full pads.

Curious about one thing for you recruitniks. I've seen Mauigoa on multiple occasions now. He's listed at 6'6" 315. However--and perhaps its just optics because he's just so much bigger and thicker than other OL--he doesn't look like an LT. To my eye, he looks more like an LG. However, I am not making any pronouncement on what he is capable of, this is just based on looks alone. He doesn't look like the prototypical LT who's tall and leanish. But that just may be my eyes from far away since he's far more stout than other dudes. I'd love to see him next to some other dudes because he looks like a 6'3" kid.

Anyways, is he LT all the way or is there a possibility that he settles in at LG (not this year but next) and Samson at LT. Curious to hear folks who followed him in high school to weigh in.

Advertisement
Snuck a couple quick views today. I've been curious about OL so I focused my short viewing on that.

I saw snaps of what looked like to me like a scrimmage of what I presume was our 2nd/3rd string. McCoy was LT with Emory at QB. Again, I presume that's a mix of 2nd and 3rd unit. McCoy reminded me of ole Richmond Webb. Tall, leanish kid wearing 78 that stood out height-wise compared to whoever was at LG.

Saw Zion on the sideline. He looked fine to me. He looked like he was in full pads.

Curious about one thing for you recruitniks. I've seen Mauigoa on multiple occasions now. He's listed at 6'6" 315. However--and perhaps its just optics because he's just so much bigger and thicker than other OL--he doesn't look like an LT. To my eye, he looks more like an LG. However, I am not making any pronouncement on what he is capable of, this is just based on looks alone. He doesn't look like the prototypical LT who's tall and leanish. But that just may be my eyes from far away since he's far more stout than other dudes. I'd love to see him next to some other dudes because he looks like a 6'3" kid.

Anyways, is he LT all the way or is there a possibility that he settles in at LG (not this year but next) and Samson at LT. Curious to hear folks who followed him in high school to weigh in.
Mauigoa I think has started out at rt.. and he said he weighs 342 now I think with a lot of high muscle mass.. probably has a lot to do with feet too..

Mauigoa I think has started out at rt.. and he said he weighs 342 now I think with a lot of high muscle mass.. probably has a lot to do with feet too..
Jeez. If he's at 342 that makes sense why he wouldn't look like the more prototypical long lean OLs we tend to see now than run in the 6'4"-6'6" range at 295-315 or so.

Advertisement
Love listening to him. Mario not landing a legit run stopping DT is going to really hurt it seems.
We are also pretty good on the interior with 2 all-conference players in Lee and Cohen. If Cooper has cut as much weight as reported we are going to be formidable.

How big you need to be on the interior to stop the run? Taylor is 310 lbs. We are going to stunt a ****load upfront.You don't need 2 gap war daddies. You need explosive guys who really move. The kid from Purdue is perfect for what Guidry wants to do.

Last edited:

A few things:

- He's a RT and will likely play there for the next 3 seasons.

- He was supposedly verified at 6' 5". I don't know if that's true. I tend to agree with you that he looks closer to 6' 3" or 6' 4".

- But, that may have to do with what other people have told you, which is that he's 330+. So, he's basically near the size of Vernon Carey, but with better weight distribution.

(The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle; and none of it matters because he moves like a fullback)

People have given up on him too fast. They knew he was raw and needed work when he arrived but donā€™t have the patience to see it through. I refuse to bet against great talent , work ethic and character. Weā€™re far from seeing what this kid can be.

Not a direct comparison but Hurts is a good one. Bama gave up due to his arm. Transfers to OU and keeps working. Now is a starter in the NFL.

Advertisement
A few things:

- He was supposedly verified at 6' 5". I don't know if that's true. I tend to agree with you that he looks closer to 6' 3" or 6' 4".

- But, that may have to do with what other people have told you, which is that he's 330+. So, he's basically near the size of Vernon Carey, but with better weight distribution.

(The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle; and none of it matters because he moves like a fullback)

I'll add that his body fat % is freakish for a 6'4"ish 330+ lbs. athlete.

A few things:

That last sentence is the key to it all. His movement skills are unheard of for someone his size.

If there's anybody on the team to be the closest thing to a lock to be a top 15 pick, its him.

Francis NFl position is guard. He may be forced to play tackle here cause or lack of recruiting in past years

Advertisement
Back