Fall Camp Early Portion Summary - 8/6

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
**QB's only worked with the TE's today. The signal-callers were solid today as a whole, but not spectacular, as they were guilty of some low or errant throws here and there. Most notable was a pass from Malik Rosier that was very low and away and outside the grasp of Will Mallory. Routes were posts across the middle to the outside hashes on each side, bubble screens, and out routes.

**After a strong start the first two days, the TE's had a pretty rough go of it today. Everyone dropped a pass, and they were mostly all throws right on the money. Brevin Jordan was guilty of multiple and Coach Hartley got loud at Jordan later on for running a lazy route. Not a good practice for Jordan today.

**WR Evidence Njoku was doing work off to the side in the early morning portion and has been playing with his knee in a elastic sleeve as he works his way back from ACL surgery.

**Realus George was getting second teams reps at FB today over Michael Parrott. George is still behind Trayone Gray, though.

**We talked about first and second team defense on Saturday, but today I paid a little more attention to the third team guys filling out the depth chart.

Third Team Defense
DL
: DE Gregory Rousseau, DT Nesta Silvera, DT Jordan Miller, DE Tyreic Martin
LB: Striker Derrick Smith, MLB CJ Perry, WLB De'Andre Wilder
DB: CB Al Blades, S Tyler Murphy, S Gurvan Hall, CB DJ Ivey

**DE Gregory Rousseau was repping more third team today, as Scott Patchan was working with the second team at end along with Demetrius Jackson. Patchan and Rousseau have rotated at times, though.

**Behind the top guys, UM doesn't have much depth at DE this season. DT Tyreic Martin has been getting looks as the third team defensive end, as it seems he's been passed up by the two true freshman at DT. Seems like it's Martin over Terry McCray for now at third team DE.

**Derrick Smith has been moved all around this fall so far, as I've seen him getting reps on all three teams at different times. Today it was mostly Romeo Finley with the two's at Striker LB, as UM continues to open practice with a SAM linebacker (Zach McCloud) instead of a Striker with the one's.

**DJ Ivey was repping more third team at CB, while Gilbert Frierson spent more time with the two's, although they have been switching off as well. Freshman CB Al Blades developed his body a lot over the summer, and looks much bigger than when he was at St. Thomas.

**Miami only has 5 scholarship guys working at safety, so they have been rotating in a walk-on guy at safety on third team. Today it was Tyler Murphy, and Colvin Alford has been seeing time there the past few days as well.

**UM introduced shoulder pads today. Full pads go on during practice #5 (Wednesday).

**The first fall scrimmage will take place this Saturday night and will be closed.

Advertisement
If Martin and McCray end up getting reps in a game other than garbage time that is not a good sign at all. Hopefully Miami improves the depth at d end and safety for next season.

**QB's only worked with the TE's today. The signal-callers were solid today as a whole, but not spectacular, as they were guilty of some low or errant throws here and there. Most notable was a pass from Malik Rosier that was very low and away and outside the grasp of Will Mallory. Routes were posts across the middle to the outside hashes on each side, bubble screens, and out routes.

Between your analysis of 3rd team depth and the bolded above, I must say, you know how to start a thread that will get the people riled up

Thanks for the Blades info. He's gonna do work this year on specials.

Advertisement
Just say sam. Its the same position. Staff already said they have combined them together. Smith and finley are just LBs now.

I can't wait to get the season under way!! CMR is a coach that knows what it takes to be a contender in CFB and I like where this team is headed..

Advertisement
Not sure why the staff is wasting time rotating a walk on at safety for 3rd team reps when they can just move Bandy or Frierson over to FS.

**After a strong start the first two days, the TE's had a pretty rough go of it today. Everyone dropped a pass, and they were mostly all throws right on the money. Brevin Jordan was guilty of multiple and Coach Hartley got loud at Jordan later on for running a lazy route. Not a good practice for Jordan today.

**WR Evidence Njoku was doing work off to the side in the early morning portion and has been playing with his knee in a elastic sleeve as he works his way back from ACL surgery.

**Realus George was getting second teams reps at FB today over Michael Parrott. George is still behind Trayone Gray, though.

**We talked about first and second team defense on Saturday, but today I paid a little more attention to the third team guys filling out the depth chart.

Third Team Defense
DL
: DE Gregory Rousseau, DT Nesta Silvera, DT Jordan Miller, DE Tyreic Martin
LB: Striker Derrick Smith, MLB CJ Perry, WLB De'Andre Wilder
DB: CB Al Blades, S Tyler Murphy, S Gurvan Hall, CB DJ Ivey

**DE Gregory Rousseau was repping more third team today, as Scott Patchan was working with the second team at end along with Demetrius Jackson. Patchan and Rousseau have rotated at times, though.

**Behind the top guys, UM doesn't have much depth at DE this season. DT Tyreic Martin has been getting looks as the third team defensive end, as it seems he's been passed up by the two true freshman at DT. Seems like it's Martin over Terry McCray for now at third team DE.

**Derrick Smith has been moved all around this fall so far, as I've seen him getting reps on all three teams at different times. Today it was mostly Romeo Finley with the two's at Striker LB, as UM continues to open practice with a SAM linebacker (Zach McCloud) instead of a Striker with the one's.

**DJ Ivey was repping more third team at CB, while Gilbert Frierson spent more time with the two's, although they have been switching off as well. Freshman CB Al Blades developed his body a lot over the summer, and looks much bigger than when he was at St. Thomas.

**Miami only has 5 scholarship guys working at safety, so they have been rotating in a walk-on guy at safety on third team. Today it was Tyler Murphy, and Colvin Alford has been seeing time there the past few days as well.

**UM introduced shoulder pads today. Full pads go on during practice #5 (Wednesday).

Can you keep eye out for our special teams once they start getting into it? Been wondering who will take over Berrios on punt returns and really hoping to hear Baxa is making every kick he attempts.

Not sure why the staff is wasting time rotating a walk on at safety for 3rd team reps when they can just move Bandy or Frierson over to FS.
So you want Bandy and Frierson to cross train and learn FS positions and their own... lol are you 12...

Need that safety depth a$ap

I think Romeo has a good year for us in that Striker role, people sleep on how talented he was coming out of HS. Clemson wanted him bad

Advertisement
I believe only O/D when media is allowed in. You need some insiders to post about ST. Maybe a Hartley interview? He has been quiet and working hard with the TEs.

Can you keep eye out for our special teams once they start getting into it? Been wondering who will take over Berrios on punt returns and really hoping to hear Baxa is making every kick he attempts.

Realistic will be playing this year for sure and it wouldn’t surprise me that he takes over 1st team reps. Sucks to hear the QB’s missed east throws hopefully it was just an anomalie and not the beginning of something. Blades going to really shine this year too

Advertisement
He is saying it wouldn’t be smart to have true freshmen trying to learn two positions at once

Bandy is a sophomore... he played cb last year, and Jaquan Johnson did it, it's not that serious. The NB position is like playing safety anyway most of the time they're in zone coverage.

Are you seriously acting like a walk on would somehow be better than Bandy at FS??
Y Why would you want someone to learn two new positions at the start of camp when they haven't mastered one position. My goodness I shouldn't even have to explain that **** to you.

Y Why would you want someone to learn two new positions at the start of camp when they haven't mastered one position. My goodness I shouldn't even have to explain that **** to you.

aye man you sure you wanna do this... go down this path with me today bc you sound ridiculous

Advertisement
Back