Fall Camp Early Portion Summary - 8/4

View as article
Joe Jackson at SDE. I didn’t really expect it, assumed it would be DJax/Patchan at SDE and joe Jax/ garvin at WDE. But I like it. Get our most talented guys on the field. And joe looked like he could hold his own last year.
People have been reporting different stuff. I seen where it was said garvin and d.jack were both getting reps with the 1st team at de.

Advertisement
Why do you assume pat bethel isn’t good enough to start for Miami?

Are you trying to say he isn’t big enough? He’s 6’3 295, uga runs a 3-4 and you know how big their nose tackle was? John Atkins 6’3 305 in a scheme that usually have bigger nose tackles. Football has evolved

I don’t assume that he is not good enough to start. I believe he is better suited as a penetrating DT. He will allow this team to always have a DT on the field that can put pressure on the pocket up the middle. A lot of the sacks last season came from Mac pushing the pocket forcing the QB to roll out of the pocket and into Chad, Joe; Trent.

I don’t see Ford or Tito being better equipped to fill that roll when Willis needs rest like Pat could.

When Bandy moves inside it’s going to be interesting to see who wins the outside job between Frierson, Ivey, and Dean. It would be a nice surprise if Dean comes out of nowhere like Jackson did even if it’s not on the same level. But my money is on Frierson, He seems to have that it factor you can’t teach, a natural playmaker.

Edit: forgot about Blades... I think he’s going to make the competition even harder.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They might as well move McCloud to another position

Lol I see this isn’t a popular opinion so far. I was just making a point that the defense is better with the Striker position as part of its base formation.

McCloud could still be listed as a SLB, but his skill set is mainly as a downhill enforcer. We may be better off finding ways to get him on the field with that as his only job.... blitzing, rushing the passer, and attacking the LOS.

Joe Jackson at SDE. I didn’t really expect it, assumed it would be DJax/Patchan at SDE and joe Jax/ garvin at WDE. But I like it. Get our most talented guys on the field. And joe looked like he could hold his own last year.

Against power run teams (LSU, BC, etc) i would still look to put Willis at SDE at times (bump inside on pass downs) and keep Joe Jackson on the weak side to chase and stay fresh. If they want to keep Willis inside or to rest him, maybe Djax on early downs. That way you can unleash a fresh Joe Jackson and Garvin on 3rd.

Lol I see this isn’t a popular opinion so far. I was just making a point that the defense is better with the Striker position as part of its base formation.

McCloud could still be listed as a SLB, but his skill set is mainly as a downhill enforcer. We may be better off finding ways to get him on the field with that as his only job.... blitzing, rushing the passer, and attacking the LOS.

IMO McCloud is going to be our starting MLB in 2019 if Shaq leaves early. He's a better fit inside, and his money position if he makes the NFL is as a 3-4 ILB.

Advertisement
FxjL.gif

Jahair Jones has had that spot since spring..have to think he has shown some improvement. If he keeps it through to the first game that means he is vastly improved. Mahoney didnt look bad playing at the end of the year either.

You never know. Some kids put it all together as Seniors. A couple years ago, that Gall kid put together a solid SR season after being a waste his first few years in the program. OL is probably the area you see this most in because it takes a lot of physical maturity to be good there.

I don’t assume that he is not good enough to start. I believe he is better suited as a penetrating DT. He will allow this team to always have a DT on the field that can put pressure on the pocket up the middle. A lot of the sacks last season came from Mac pushing the pocket forcing the QB to roll out of the pocket and into Chad, Joe; Trent.

I don’t see Ford or Tito being better equipped to fill that roll when Willis needs rest like Pat could.
Nesta

its clear our best talent on the OL is very young. Problem with OL is it takes time to develop. By next year, OL should be a well oiled machine.

We say this every year. When are we ever going to have a dominant O-Line?

Advertisement
I think theOL is coming along nicely and we have real players in backup roles for the 1st time in like forever. Great to see the 1st reporting of the depth chart, can’t wait to see who really starts to separate themselves or are relative unknowns coming out of nowhere to steal a position. That’s just going to make the overall team better, and more suited for the rigors of the full season. I’m interested in who is the final mock-up of OL for the LSU game and who takes over the 2nd CB next to MJ. LB sounds set, as does the RB position. Where we can see changes will be OL, DL, and CB

Advertisement
Back