Fall Ball

scane

Redshirt Freshman
I’ve haven’t had a chance to get out to practice yet with all the weather reshuffling, but was curious of the early impressions from anyone who has.

Advertisement
Unfortunately (relatively speaking), my son has a little league game at 3 pm (Boca Little League), so I won't be able to go to the Duke game. I will, however, be going to the Miami v. FAU scrimmage at 12:30 (w/ his team). I'll try and do a write up after the game.

Caught the last 10 minutes today. First look at the newbs and Farrow looks bigger than I expected. Same for Gomez. Excited about those two in the OF because we needed help there. It's great having Walt still here towering over people. Did not see Yoyo but Torres was getting a ton of work at 3B while they practiced run-downs.

Advertisement
Caught the last 10 minutes today. First look at the newbs and Farrow looks bigger than I expected. Same for Gomez. Excited about those two in the OF because we needed help there. It's great having Walt still here towering over people. Did not see Yoyo but Torres was getting a ton of work at 3B while they practiced run-downs.
How did Kaden Martin and Cyr look?

I’m not on Twitter so I missed last week’s scrimmages but I found this:
1666195365641.jpeg

Impressions of the 10/21 Scrimmage: (small sample size caveat)

Dario Gomez and Jacoby Long were the leadoff hitters for each side. Gomez singled in his first AB. He's also about the same height as Danny Devito.

Ligon and Ziehl were the starting pitchers. They were both effective- Ligon pitched more to contact but Ziehl was punching out everyone. It's likely that he's going to part of the rotation going forward.

Torres looked sharp, Gallo did not.

Ray Bermudez singled. Farrow K'd and flied out to center. Dom flied out to 9 (the warning track), K'd, and hit an oppo double off the wall. Ball was coming off the bat fast today for him. Levenson smoked a double off the wall, too.

Blake Cyr: He played both 2nd and SS. Basically he'd stay on the field for both sides. He made a helluva stop at 2nd and threw a runner out at home. He has good range and a good arm. I think he was getting extra reps because the coaching staff wants to know if he can spell Dom if needed.

Catching: Scanlon looks like a small forward. He's probably the most polished defensively of the three but he can't hit. Nor can Perez. (2 k's) JD Jones or whichever catcher can near even average production will be the starter. Do NOT expect much offensively from this position this year.

Kaden Martin looks confident in the box. He walked and singled and played in right.

Carrier still doesn't look ready to hit ACC pitching.

Jason Torres looks like he can handle the hot corner as Yo-yo's replacement next year.

Advertisement
Disappointing re. Carrier. The year missed will probably hurt him more than a typical prospect since he apparently needs the reps.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Looks like it might be two years In a row the closer becomes a starter. Will be very interesting to see if he’s developed another pitch.

Looks like it might be two years In a row the closer becomes a starter. Will be very interesting to see if he’s developed another pitch.
If he’s not pushing for it, I’d really rather leave him at closer, but I suppose that’s dependent on finding three other starters. Certainly no harm in stretching him out and having a preseason look though.

Advertisement
Back