Fall Ball

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sounds like lots of long balls, but as we saw last post-season, those don't always play vs quality regional pitching. Was our pitching bad or did we kick the ball around, or both?
Unfortunately, I don’t have any insight beyond the tweets. I’m definitely looking forward to any eyewitness reports.

10/23 Scrimmage notes:

Starting pitchers: Rafe Schlesinger, Brian Walters. Walters got hit around some and had a wild pitch, a BB, and a HBP. Not a good outing for the freshman. Rafe was so-so and surrendered a few hits.

Relievers: Ryan Fry, Sebastian Perez. Fry looked solid, he did give up a triple to Martin. Perez is HUGE. He kept the hitters off balance and looks ready to contribute this season.

Martin continues to impress by being selective at the plate and showing pop.
Jason Torres had 3 hits. Carrier doubled to the gap and threw a seed from RF to third without a bounce.

Cyr continued to get extra reps at SS and 2B.

JD Jones three out three runners at 2B.

The Canes were in the shift in heavy doses again.

Still waiting to see Crowther throw.

I took my 7 year old to the scrimmage before his little league game (a lot if little leagers were there). I thought Carrier looked good, given what he went through last year. Martin has a very interesting physique - looks like a full back. Dude has a swing tho. That triple popped.

Orange/Green Times: Fri: 2:50 p.m. Sat: 11 a.m. Sun: 11 a.m.

1666805806644.png

1666805869417.png

Advertisement
This roster doesnt strike fear in me on paper...and the rotation is a huge concern. Hopefully they surprise me. Sometimes these are the teams that put it all together and just grind it out.

But Walters and Ziehl as starters could be a disaster unless they have added a quality 3rd pitch and their 2nd pitch has become very consistent.

Hopefully Gallo makes a huge leap forward too. He has the stuff.

Advertisement
Dispatches from the front- 10/28 Orange/Green series

I only caught the first 3 frames today but here goes:

Green SP: Gallo
Orange SP: Rosario

Gallo was not good yet again in fall ball. The first inning he gave up to doubles (Gomez and Kayfus-who still has a pinch runner) and single to Cyr which ultimately yielded 3 runs. The remaining innings Gallo was hit hard-even on outs- and was bailed out by some borderline web gems.

Rosario's fastball was blazing. It was palpably faster than Gallo's. His delivery was effortless. The first 2 innings he gave up just one walk and a hit. Great news, right? Ehh wrong. JD Jones homered to left in the 3rd and got Team Green off the schneid. Rosario's shoulders slumped and he proceeded to walk four (4) batters in the inning and almost a fifth (Morales). This has been Rosarios bugaboo since his arrival in Coral Gables. He looks the part for an inning or two but when the slightest adversity arises, he shats the futon.

I keep getting the impression that Cyr is a favorite of the coaching staff. He played short and batted second for the Orange. He is definitely qualified to play SS and I'm glad Dom has someone to push him this year.

Kayfus can hit but must have some sort of injury because he keeps getting a courtesy runner. Don't be surprised if Gomez is the opening day leadoff hitter and Kayfus is in the 2 hole with his excellent bat to ball skills.

Levenson walked and singled. I think he's going to have a good year.

Jacoby was the other leadoff hitter for Green.

Advertisement
Dispatches from the front- 10/28 Orange/Green series

I only caught the first 3 frames today but here goes:

Green SP: Gallo
Orange SP: Rosario

Gallo was not good yet again in fall ball. The first inning he gave up to doubles (Gomez and Kayfus-who still has a pinch runner) and single to Cyr which ultimately yielded 3 runs. The remaining innings Gallo was hit hard-even on outs- and was bailed out by some borderline web gems.

Rosario's fastball was blazing. It was palpably faster than Gallo's. His delivery was effortless. The first 2 innings he gave up just one walk and a hit. Great news, right? Ehh wrong. JD Jones homered to left in the 3rd and got Team Green off the schneid. Rosario's shoulders slumped and he proceeded to walk four (4) batters in the inning and almost a fifth (Morales). This has been Rosarios bugaboo since his arrival in Coral Gables. He looks the part for an inning or two but when the slightest adversity arises, he shats the futon.

I keep getting the impression that Cyr is a favorite of the coaching staff. He played short and batted second for the Orange. He is definitely qualified to play SS and I'm glad Dom has someone to push him this year.

Kayfus can hit but must have some sort of injury because he keeps getting a courtesy runner. Don't be surprised if Gomez is the opening day leadoff hitter and Kayfus is in the 2 hole with his excellent bat to ball skills.

Levenson walked and singled. I think he's going to have a good year.

Jacoby was the other leadoff hitter for Green.
They had Kayfus 4th against FAU behind Yoyo too. It does seem like they’d prefer to move him deeper in the order, which I like if Gomez pans out.

Today’s lineup:

A couple other things I find interesting from a reading tea leaves perspective:
1) Perez by himself, and Scanlon starting the first game over Jones which may be an approximate catching depth chart
2) Farrow batting so low in the order

Advertisement
Back