Fall Ball

Dispatches from the front- 10/28 Orange/Green series

I only caught the first 3 frames today but here goes:

Green SP: Gallo
Orange SP: Rosario

Gallo was not good yet again in fall ball. The first inning he gave up to doubles (Gomez and Kayfus-who still has a pinch runner) and single to Cyr which ultimately yielded 3 runs. The remaining innings Gallo was hit hard-even on outs- and was bailed out by some borderline web gems.

Rosario's fastball was blazing. It was palpably faster than Gallo's. His delivery was effortless. The first 2 innings he gave up just one walk and a hit. Great news, right? Ehh wrong. JD Jones homered to left in the 3rd and got Team Green off the schneid. Rosario's shoulders slumped and he proceeded to walk four (4) batters in the inning and almost a fifth (Morales). This has been Rosarios bugaboo since his arrival in Coral Gables. He looks the part for an inning or two but when the slightest adversity arises, he shats the futon.

I keep getting the impression that Cyr is a favorite of the coaching staff. He played short and batted second for the Orange. He is definitely qualified to play SS and I'm glad Dom has someone to push him this year.

Kayfus can hit but must have some sort of injury because he keeps getting a courtesy runner. Don't be surprised if Gomez is the opening day leadoff hitter and Kayfus is in the 2 hole with his excellent bat to ball skills.

Levenson walked and singled. I think he's going to have a good year.

Jacoby was the other leadoff hitter for Green.
Might have to consider Rosario for set-up reliever or closer, given his lack of success at going more than 3 innings as a starter.

Isn't Einstein's definition of insanity, "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"?

Advertisement
Dispatches from the front- 10/28 Orange/Green series

I only caught the first 3 frames today but here goes:

Green SP: Gallo
Orange SP: Rosario

Gallo was not good yet again in fall ball. The first inning he gave up to doubles (Gomez and Kayfus-who still has a pinch runner) and single to Cyr which ultimately yielded 3 runs. The remaining innings Gallo was hit hard-even on outs- and was bailed out by some borderline web gems.

Rosario's fastball was blazing. It was palpably faster than Gallo's. His delivery was effortless. The first 2 innings he gave up just one walk and a hit. Great news, right? Ehh wrong. JD Jones homered to left in the 3rd and got Team Green off the schneid. Rosario's shoulders slumped and he proceeded to walk four (4) batters in the inning and almost a fifth (Morales). This has been Rosarios bugaboo since his arrival in Coral Gables. He looks the part for an inning or two but when the slightest adversity arises, he shats the futon.

I keep getting the impression that Cyr is a favorite of the coaching staff. He played short and batted second for the Orange. He is definitely qualified to play SS and I'm glad Dom has someone to push him this year.

Kayfus can hit but must have some sort of injury because he keeps getting a courtesy runner. Don't be surprised if Gomez is the opening day leadoff hitter and Kayfus is in the 2 hole with his excellent bat to ball skills.

Levenson walked and singled. I think he's going to have a good year.

Jacoby was the other leadoff hitter for Green.
Thank you for info. If we see Rosario starting weekends this year we’re in serious trouble. No offense to the young man but I’m pretty sick of seeing him take the mound in a Miami uniform. Was hoping gallo took the next step this year…if he doesn’t that makes me question whose our Sunday guy (please not Rosario)

Dispatches from the front- 10/29 Orange/Green series

SP Orange: Andrew Walters
SP Green: Rafe Schlesinger

Walters sucked. He gave up a double and three homers and 5 ER in 4 innings. He still appears to be a two pitch hurler, although I thought I saw a couple of change-ups, too. He would either strike you out because his fastball plays so well or give up a very hard hit ball.

Rafe was just so-so, and I’m grading him on a curve because the other pitchers this fall have been atrocious. The coaches will give him every chance to succeed because he’s got pretty good stuff and he’s a lefty.

Yohandy looked the part of a future 1st round pick. He started off by doubling off Walters, then hit two light tower homers that both went over the scoreboard in left. I’m putting the over/under on HR’s this season at 22.

Zach Levenson: After an ugly K, the Hebrew Hammer had a stand-up triple and a home run.

Relievers: Alex Walsh’s frame and delivery looks exactly like a left handed Gallo. He got rocked, however. Ryan Fry got rocked. Saw Scinta for the first time. A bit wild but better than the majority of appearances this fall. Finally got for see Crowther. He looks like a junior already and has a smooth delivery. He gave up a single to Gaby G and then settled down the next frame and a third with a pair of K’s against two good hitters. The next inning he too, got rocked, the recurring theme for Canes pitchers this fall.

Dario Gomez keeps hitting. Even his outs are hard hit. Gonna be tough to keep him out of the lineup.

Ian Farrow finally woke up! He had two HR’s and a double off the wall that turned into a Little League homer.

Carlos Perez finally doubled off the wall and then proceeded to make two baserunning blunders that he miraculously survived. He’s been bad this fall.

Cyr singled, doubled, and walked and had a SB.

Scanlon has made some hard contact but the poor kid can’t buy a hit this fall.

There were three (3) bunts for base hits. CJ laid down a bunt so perfect that it looked like it was a computer simulation. Morris must be consulting.

No Martin or Carrier again today.

Conclusion: The pitchers are light years behind the hitters this fall. It’s gonna be a long season if the coaches don’t solidify a staff by February.

I’d change my stance on Walters from he should close unless you can’t fill out the rotation to he should close period. Palm never gave you a reason not to give him a chance to start, whereas I don’t disagree with Pitcher in the Rye’s assessment of Walter’s outing today and last week’s numbers speak to another rough outing.

Gomez and Cyr definitely standout out on the positive side among the newcomers this fall. You always have to wait until the lights come on but they look the part of guys that know how to play baseball.

Pitching is becoming a big concern and after the rotation the last two years the “JD usually figures it out” benefit of the doubt is gone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There’s still time to get the pitching duties sorted, but based on the inter squad games and the FAU game, even a casual baseball fan would know it’s a area of concern.

I think Ligon and Ziehl would be the logical Friday and Saturday starters, but there’s definitely room for a dark horse to take that Sunday spot.

Even though Kayfus is the best lead off hitter we’ve seen in years, I’m starting to see the logic of making him a middle of the order hitter to protect Yohandy and utilize that high batting average and low K rate to drive in runs. I guess we’ll know at the alumni game what the thinking is.

Advertisement
Cyr vs Dorian and the outfield are the big positional questions for me. I’d be surprised if Gomez isn’t leading off in CF on opening day. I’ll also be surprised if Levenson isn’t in the lineup even if it’s at DH. That leaves Carrier, Farrow, and Villegas for the remaining one or two spots before getting to Martin, Renzo, Long, and Gaby. We’ve said it before but we seem to have good problems in the OF.

Jason Torres looks like a really good 3B. He’s stuck like chuck behind Yohandy but I don’t think it would be a stretch to play him at second if needed.

Cyr vs Dorian and the outfield are the big positional questions for me. I’d be surprised if Gomez isn’t leading off in CF on opening day. I’ll also be surprised if Levenson isn’t in the lineup even if it’s at DH. That leaves Carrier, Farrow, and Villegas for the remaining one or two spots before getting to Martin, Renzo, Long, and Gaby. We’ve said it before but we seem to have good problems in the OF.
If a surplus of OF's is our bright spot in the fall, sounds like J.D.'s got his work cut out for him. Glad we're scoring runs, but, it's vs our own pitching staff.

I know some of them are experiments to see who might grab a rotation or mid-week spot, but these scores are ridiculous.

Advertisement
What is the best guess for OF?

CF- Gonez
LF- Farrow
RF- Villegas
?
I’d say that’s a pretty good guess. I know some people would want Carrier because of his tool set but he’s just not there yet. Martin looks intriguing but he hasn’t been playing (injury?) I’m judging all the OF’s solely on offense because defensively all I’ve seen them do this fall is watch balls achieve terminal velocity over the fence or shuffle after balls ricocheting off the wall.

I’d say that’s a pretty good guess. I know some people would want Carrier because of his tool set but he’s just not there yet. Martin looks intriguing but he hasn’t been playing (injury?) I’m judging all the OF’s solely on offense because defensively all I’ve seen them do this fall is watch balls achieve terminal velocity over the fence or shuffle after balls ricocheting off the wall.
I’d love for it to be Carrier too but yeah I don’t think he’s there. Would be a great piece to the lineup if he were though

Advertisement
What is the best guess for OF?

CF- Gonez
LF- Farrow
RF- Villegas
?
Seems fair with Levenson at DH. With Carrier, as inexperienced as he still is, you probably hope he can grow into more playing time as the season goes on. With Burke and Romero gone, I’d really love to have Farrow and Carrier both in the lineup from a power perspective.

A nice lineup would be something like:

1. Gomez
2. Kayfus
3. Yoyo
4. Farrow
5. Levenson

I hope we can incorporate more speed in the lineup this year. Hopefully guys like Gomez, Villegas, etc. can help.

A nice lineup would be something like:

1. Gomez
2. Kayfus
3. Yoyo
4. Farrow
5. Levenson

I hope we can incorporate more speed in the lineup this year. Hopefully guys like Gomez, Villegas, etc. can help.
Potential Cyr variant
1 Gomez
2 Cyr
3 Yoyo
4 Kayfus
5 Levenson
6 Farrow
7 Pitelli
8 Perez
9 Villegas

There was something about those two at the top that feels right if he gets the nod at 2B.

If a surplus of OF's is our bright spot in the fall, sounds like J.D.'s got his work cut out for him. Glad we're scoring runs, but, it's vs our own pitching staff.

I know some of them are experiments to see who might grab a rotation or mid-week spot, but these scores are ridiculous.
Watching Fall games is so conflicting. You want both of them to look good. I suppose the glass half full take is that the offense hit FAU well too, and the glass half empty take is that they also hit our pitching well.

You’re really hoping that Ziehl and Ligon take that next step, and that Walters settles back into closer, or that I’m eating a big plate of crow for doubting the Angel of Death if they proceed with the experiment.

Advertisement
Back