Faith in Diaz

Advertisement
I respect Butch. I never gave up my season tickets or wanted to fly the banner or screamed for him to be fired like 30,000 other people were doing next to me in the OB. I was there every Saturday rain or shine. He finally put together an amazing group of players and helped create some of my greatest ever Canes memories.

But in his entire career here I can safely say he never outschemed anyone. He was 0-10 against FSU and VT his first five years here, the vast majority by blowout loss. No upsets, no new wrinkles to get us a win, nothing. The game managment was often times attrocious. The penalties mind numbingly bad. At the end of the day, he only won when he overwhelmed the other team talent wise, something I question he can ever replicate.

Oh, I recall those days too - in fact - I recall the Schnellenberger years as well - very, very painful. It's hard to crank up a good team when you've been saddled with 31 scholarship reductions - and when UM football was on the ropes. It doesn't allow for very many clever schemes in your early years - and Butch finished out just great. It was his first head coaching job, too - but he was so far in the hole scholarship-wise - he couldn't see daylight.

JJ got a pretty good team from Schellenberger - Erickson got a really good team from Jimmy, and Clappy got the greatest college football team ever assembled from Butch. Only Schnellenberger started from scratch - and only Butch started out way down in the hole - but they both built National Championship teams.

I recall the penalties - you make it sound like Butch had the worst teams - ****! They all did! Even Erickson - we put on quite a show at the Cotton Bowl against Texas. I didn't think the game would ever end - so many penalties. One play - multiple flags, multiple infractions - it was hilarious.

I'm all for Manny - but * * * * on a stick - we gotta give him a bit more than two games -

Advertisement
Am I the only person here with complete confidence/faith Diaz is the man for the job? He took a horrific defense and turned them into a top 5 defense, in just a few years!

He's intense, passionate about the Miami standard, hates to lose... he even invited JJ to practice. The man is PERFECT for Miami and he will absolutely be tremendously successful. He also preaches accountability and will not accept losing. Case/point... look at his demeanor after a loss. Its just like JJ or Saban or Dabo or Urban. Losing kills them... he's not gonna take it.

This is the most confident about the direction of Miami I've feel since 1999. We will finish 9-3 or 10-2 and land a top 10 recruiting class. We're not that far away.. in fact just 2 plays from being 2-0 and ranked.

The "bringing JJ to practice" doesn't really mean anything. Even Fat Albert trekked down to the Keys for a hang and fishing trip with Jimmy.

All that said, yes. I believe Manny is the right guy for the job—for many of the reason you said—as well as the fact he wants to be here and understands what it takes to win at Miami; which isn't the case for a lot of other guys nationwide, who prefer comfortable little jobs in small college towns, with undying fan support as the only show in town.

I think all things considered, there aren't many better choices out there than Manny—though how quickly he can turn things around and get it rolling remains to be see, as there are a lot of other variables there which are out of his control.

Dude is two plays and a little luck away from 2-0 right now, but is instead down 0-2.

If you had told me Miami would lead at the half against Florida, would score late to retake the lead — and then would fall in a hole at North Carolina, taking another late lead — but would be 0-2, I'd have a hard time believing it. Need to get some breaks along the way this season, too.

It's a thin line sometimes between a win and a loss. We lost two games by a total of four points. You can say two plays made the difference between 0-2 and 2-0 -- the 4th and 17 and the Thomas drop vs Florida.
I'm withholding judgment for the time being...

it's not Manny I have doubts about.His passion and determination to turn this ship around is evident in everything he does.

My doubts are with the people he has put around him.As a first time coach he needed guys with tons of experience to help him through his learning curve. He doesn't have that.So not only is he having to learn how to be a HC with it's many duties he has to try and run behind this defensive staff to make sure it doesn't turn to sht and he's having to rely on an OC who is relatively new if not brand new to calling an offense.
Yea Enos came from Alabama but I think we are all starting to find out it was Mike Locksley who ran the offense and Enos was just a QB's coach.

Manny isn't going anywhere any time soon.I hope he uses all the resources around him like JJ and past HOFers like Ed Reed to get through this learning curve and more importantly have the balls to make changes to the staff that need to be changed cause there are several that need changing now !!!

This ship has been leaking water for almost two decades.NO ONE could patch this hole in the side of it in one year.Main thing right now is forget about the first two games and act like BC is our first game like it really should have been.Win the rest of the games,get to the ACCCG and then hopefully that's enough to impress top kids to come play here.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.Coker showed if you have enough great players even a moron like he was could win a NC.Win and they will come may not be totally true but you can bet your a$$ that if you lose they won't.
We knew he wasn’t calling plays at Bama. He was the OC at Arkansas before that. And he had offers to be an OC again this year. Saban wanted him as OC this year

I think Manny is the man we need, I think he needs better assistant coaches, for the Butch Davis people, let's not forget Butch was not a good game day coach (not good at making adjustments), Butch had a lot of good assistants around him.
Butch wasn't perfect but he surrounded himself with talent, whether it's players or coaches. Manny surrounded himself with friends who has no business coaching here. His recruiting is below avg just by looking at his tenure as DC. The current class looks good at the top but he's filling it with a lot of "underrated 3 star gems". Like flagg for example. If he could actually spot talent, I would have no problem with that. But he hasn't shown that. The current guys he recruited that's on the line right now are underwhelming. Either it was missed evals or there's a lack of development. Or both. Our LB depth is thin and our senior LBs have regressed.

Manny has shown that he's not only terrible at spotting talent but also a terrible gameday coach (clock management, no adjustments) That's a problem. Manny has a common theme with the pervious failures: the team looks unprepared week in and week out.

Advertisement
However Manny's hiring went down - 6-8 hours after Richt retired or whatever - he's now our HC. I thought it was a smart move to keep the entire defensive staff (whatever some may think of them) to keep some sense of continuity on that side of the ball that really wasn't the issue - the offense was. He had to replace himself on the D side and the Dline coach. He cans the entire offensive staph and brings in a highly respected OC with some HC experience. At that point in time, the pickin's were somewhat slim as far as position coaches were concerned so he got the best available to fit Enos' scheme.

Am I happy about 0-2? Not just no - but **** no. Neither is Manny. I'm pulling for him to be successful. He loves the U and understands what it takes to win at the U. He has the endorsement of JJ. Many of you are correct in that a leader is only as good as the people he surrounds himself with. He's 2 games in and it would be foolish to start handing out pink slips at this point.

We've seen a marked improvement on offense but the defense has regressed somewhat. Nothing that can't be fixed. We're a young team that's learning a new system, a different mindset with different coaches. Not making excuses, these are facts.

I'm going to pack my patience, hope to see continued improvement, and support my Canes til **** freezes over.

Advertisement
You’re really gonna go down with this ship.
Lmao. Answer the question.

Did jarren have it made? If so he should be kicked off the team.

Did his mom have it made? If so she is raising a *****.

Did manny give it? The head coach of the entire team. Giving an award to the best player against unc.

Or is it a fake account or photoshopped award?

Which is most likely?

Am I the only person here with complete confidence/faith Diaz is the man for the job? He took a horrific defense and turned them into a top 5 defense, in just a few years!

He's intense, passionate about the Miami standard, hates to lose... he even invited JJ to practice. The man is PERFECT for Miami and he will absolutely be tremendously successful. He also preaches accountability and will not accept losing. Case/point... look at his demeanor after a loss. Its just like JJ or Saban or Dabo or Urban. Losing kills them... he's not gonna take it.

This is the most confident about the direction of Miami I've feel since 1999. We will finish 9-3 or 10-2 and land a top 10 recruiting class. We're not that far away.. in fact just 2 plays from being 2-0 and ranked.

For the last 15 years, we've given a lot of free rides and benefit of the doubt. It didn't work out well. From now on, respect and admiration has to be earned. You may feel otherwise, and that's fine.

Advertisement
I think he's the right hire. People who expected a 7-6 team to go 11-1 or 12-0 in 1 year with a completely new offense are delusional. Add a freshman qb and an extremely young line and they are just plain insane. 9-11 wins including the bowl game should have been the realistic expectations and a sign of progress. Never heard of a team going from bad to great in 1 offseason.

I expect young guys to have young guy mistakes.

I expect players to lose reps.

More than anything I expect coaches to adhere to the core principles of football strategy.

We got too cute on both sides of the ball and it put us in position to lose games we could have won by 2-3 scores even with some of the player mistakes and limitations.

You have seen in both games why people thought we would lose no more than one game. You also saw why others had tempered expectations.

I thought we would go 11-1 while foreseeing many of the mistakes we have made.

The one thing I didn’t anticipate was the JT4 fumble. Until then, the game went almost exactly as I expected and we were primed to pull away late.

I didn’t expect Baker to leave the secondary so little margin for error with his playcalling at unc.

The thing that bothers me bad are the penalties and special teams. These coaches are new and yeah the game plans could have been better, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

There is no excuse for the penalties and poor special teams. These things have always been red flags to spot bad coaching.

Still, I am optimistically in wait and see mode. Manny has always proven to be self aware and flexible. I won’t give up on him prematurely.

Interesting to see if he makes coaching changes in the off-season. If he is willing to act swiftly & assess/address areas of weakness within his staff (like he did our roster this spring) then I will be more optimistic. Seems like an Achilles heel for lots of HC.

Is he going to hold his own crappy assistant coaches he hire accountable? I keep hearing holding his players accountable and that’s great but to be a real successful coach you have to also hold your coaches accountable. And if thoses coaches don’t meet the standard then there gone! I haven’t once heard Diaz say he’s also holding his coaches accountable. So forgive me if after 0-2 it’s just feels like golden and richt all over again as In Diaz is going to put his buddies/family ahead of the good of the team. Sound familiar?

I think Manny is the man we need, I think he needs better assistant coaches, for the Butch Davis people, let's not forget Butch was not a good game day coach (not good at making adjustments), Butch had a lot of good assistants around him.
And there in lies the problem good sir. We all see he needs better assistants but Diaz has no plan on hiring better assistants! So what does that tell you?

Advertisement
Back