Explanation of X’s Face

@Boarcane did you learn something was fact that you had suspected for years? Your story got an "I knew it" from me. That whole crew looked soft and uncommitted. All those drops. ... And thank you for the Shaq/Jarren snippet. I was posting on the FIU gameday thread that Jarren was high, everyone thought I was an ******* and a hater.

The one thing I will say is it's not just on the coaches. It's on the kids too. Shaq and Berrios are two players I remember having strong work ethics despite the culture. They're both in the NFL while Jaren failed everywhere he went and dropped out of football.

That's one reason why I love this staff. They aren't just recruiting ballers. They're screening them for work ethic and leadership. This team is already night & day from where it was a year ago. Give it another year or two and it will be unrecognizable in a good way.

Advertisement
@Boarcane did you learn something was fact that you had suspected for years? Your story got an "I knew it" from me. That whole crew looked soft and uncommitted. All those drops. ... And thank you for the Shaq/Jarren snippet. I was posting on the FIU gameday thread that Jarren was high, everyone thought I was an ******* and a hater.

The one thing I will say is it's not just on the coaches. It's on the kids too. Shaq and Berrios are two players I remember having strong work ethics despite the culture. They're both in the NFL while Jaren failed everywhere he went and dropped out of football.

That's one reason why I love this staff. They aren't just recruiting ballers. They're screening them for work ethic and leadership. This team is already night & day from where it was a year ago. Give it another year or two and it will be unrecognizable in a good way.
It will be unrecognizable this year. The quality of play and depth will be substantially better in 2 years. Elite caliber for sure. We will be stacking assistants, too. Somebody leaves for promotion and candidates will be lining up for the job. Any barriers Miami had are gone or soon will be. New facilities more new dorms and money for support is now moving to elite status.

Mike could be a hard worker. He wrote his goals on a mirror. That’s something right? He loved Saturday nights and his boys more than football success. We’ll see if he grows up. Last chance staring him in the face right now. Some treat each day that way. Those that do with talent make it.
Beginning to make sense why elite recruits all about football passed on us so much.

For guys wanting to take football seriously, it makes for a lot of easy distractions in Miami if you don't have the right structure/staff around to help keep these young men focused and priorities in order. We finally have that and the results are showing not from the "4 star" recruits we're getting because all 4 star kids aren't created equal....we're now getting the Top 100-150 4 stars in the mold of Avantae Williams' of the world at all levels of the defense and on offense. Those kinds of kids MOSTLY (pre NIL) are going to go where they know coaches will develop them and hold them accountable on the football field so they can get to the league. We will begin to see our 3 star kids maybe not turning into superstars but definitely blossoming into players and not scholarship holding JAGS.

I say all that to say this.......That wasn't a Mike Harley problem or a Jarren Williams problem or a Nesta problem and the list goes on and on.......no......that was a top level administration of The University of Miami problem. They had decided that they could CARE LESS if the football program was successful or not....and it was evident in the INVESTMENT of the tier of coach we brought in (outside of Mark Richt)

We're now be able to see how serious our kids are about football. Because if deep down they "kinda" like football because they're good at it and it provides a free education and ALSO get to be in Miami while doing it....that tier of kid will get passed up under Mario's watch and replaced by the kids he's bringing in that LOVE FOOTBALL and can't live without it and will do anything to be successful on the field.

Advertisement
I don‘t know if X will end up being our #1 WR in terms of production on the field, but X is definitely the kind of WR that the Canes need to lead the WR room.

We will see what happens when the season starts. Every year, we guess which position group is strong and which position group is weak, and there is always a position group that rises up to surprise us. WIth TVD slinging the rock and Gattis calling plays, I am confident that our WRs will eat. I am not worried yet. I will withhold judgement and reassess after TAMU.

Silly comment. Yeah, I’d like Ja’Marr Chase on this team too. But what does “in trouble” mean? Like if he leads the team in catches we’re gonna go 6-6?

We went 10-3 in 2017 with a tiny slot receiver leading the team in catches. And that was with a backup 2nd baseman playing QB, not a Round 1 NFL prospect. You guys need to understand the situation. X being the leading receiver or not, we’re not winning a national championship this year. So what do you want the season to be? Winning the coastal and competing in the 4th quarter with Clemson in Charlotte would be a nice season. If you don’t think that can happen with X being the most targeted receiver, you’re clueless. There are infinite examples of kids like this being plenty productive in college and leading teams to good seasons. This isn’t the AFC West. It’s the ACC Coastal. St Thomas would go 4-4 in this league. This kid is plenty good enough to be very productive and the offense be very productive.

Aye!

Berrios was almost impossible to cover - size be damned. He was quicker than a cheetah at lunchtime, could come full stop on a dime, and then leave his cover wondering where the **** he went.

X is the guy that's almost always open. He is determined to get open. And if that ball is halfway catchable - it's HIS.

Now, if you're QB - who exactly will you be looking for when you see a blitz or a crack in blocking? The guy who's long-legged, makes several catches a season racking up yards on long passes - or the dog that's always open - and always catches the ball?

Sh*t fire.

This isn't ballet.

And this staff better be looking down the road for a continuation of this type of dog we saw in Berrios and now X.

It ain't the size of the dog in a fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Last edited:

The coach is the most important factor though.

How many kids came in going balls to the wall but dialed it back because of criticism from upperclassmen? As a young guy, the example set by older players shows you the way things are done at that level.

If the coach doesn’t reinforce the leaders and hard workers, those players just become crazy guys who get tuned out or fall into the complacency of the toxic culture around them.

It is important for the coach to make sure he gets as many top 10%ers and limit the bottom 10%ers he takes (10-80-10 rule), but the majority (80%ers) are going where they are lead.

It kills me listening to people complain about the player culture when the fan base slurped bum coach after bum coach who actually recruited those guys and created the culture.

Advertisement
Two things about that kid that matter.
1) His parents are both always at practice and are the two nicest most supportive parents you’ll ever meet.
2) I’ve never seen anyone work harder in practice more consistently. As a freshman, almost every day, the juniors and seniors would tell him to “relax and not go all out all the time”. I can remember Mike literally punking him for being an *** kisser. I was ashamed of our culture when I saw it. Now we’ll reward him for his hard work, not give a C to the idiots who think it’s funny to take practice seriously. I really hope he’s a captain this coming season. Him, Stevenson, Roberts and TVD personify work ethic. Captain’s matter
He’s one of the only kids that act like he gave a **** last year against Alabama! He earned my respect that day. There’s a reason why he separates himself from all the other receivers on the team, and that’s work ethic. I pray it starts to rub off on that whole wide receiver room!

yesterday, mario said they are "trying to squeeze 10 years into 7 months", which means fix the culture. you can destroy a building in hours, but it takes months if not years to build the same building. same with culture. it's been broken for 15 plus years if not more. it will take some time and it is being fixed/corrected with the leadership of people like XR7.

Last edited:
I’ve defended Rumph more times on here than I can count but I digress. Now that most are realizing that the problem was fro the top down, they should also realize that players like X will not be stand outs but the standard going forward.

Miami is going to shock some people, including UM fans, THIS SEASON.

Who is Mike?
paul wall rap GIF

Advertisement
It will be unrecognizable this year. The quality of play and depth will be substantially better in 2 years. Elite caliber for sure. We will be stacking assistants, too. Somebody leaves for promotion and candidates will be lining up for the job. Any barriers Miami had are gone or soon will be. New facilities more new dorms and money for support is now moving to elite status.
Wait until Mario shapes the roster running out of the tunnel in Y3/Y4...

🥳🥳🥳

The coach is the most important factor though.

How many kids came in going balls to the wall but dialed it back because of criticism from upperclassmen? As a young guy, the example set by older players shows you the way things are done at that level.

If the coach doesn’t reinforce the leaders and hard workers, those players just become crazy guys who get tuned out or fall into the complacency of the toxic culture around them.

It is important for the coach to make sure he gets as many top 10%ers and limit the bottom 10%ers he takes (10-80-10 rule), but the majority (80%ers) are going where they are lead.

It kills me listening to people complain about the player culture when the fan base slurped bum coach after bum coach who actually recruited those guys and created the culture.

Not all fans, lol.

• Coker, you had to trust Paul Dee knew what he was doing. Players loved the guy. So fans embraced him because he was the glue on a championship team.
  • Shannon, many of us (including me) were strongly against. He was part of a failing coaching staff. You never promote from within when the trajectory of the program is spiraling down.
  • Golden was bought on the cheap. Blame Donna. Most of us were willing to give the guy a shot because he was known to be a good recruiter and had done decent work at Temple. But no one wanted him. Don't you remember the Gruden craze?
  • Richt, absolutely. I love the guy, still do. Unfortunately, he was already on the the decline. Bad timing not a bad decision.
  • Manny, see Shannon. Many of us were strongly against his hire. I was livid we didn't do a search. He so clearly should have stayed at Temple
I think you will find many guys on CIS had similar feelings about each of the above. For me, the only hit was Richt, all the others were misses or settling. The biggest failing was at the BoD and President level, then the AC level. Mario was brought in because those pieces were fixed first.

Silly comment. Yeah, I’d like Ja’Marr Chase on this team too. But what does “in trouble” mean? Like if he leads the team in catches we’re gonna go 6-6?

We went 10-3 in 2017 with a tiny slot receiver leading the team in catches. And that was with a backup 2nd baseman playing QB, not a Round 1 NFL prospect. You guys need to understand the situation. X being the leading receiver or not, we’re not winning a national championship this year. So what do you want the season to be? Winning the coastal and competing in the 4th quarter with Clemson in Charlotte would be a nice season. If you don’t think that can happen with X being the most targeted receiver, you’re clueless. There are infinite examples of kids like this being plenty productive in college and leading teams to good seasons. This isn’t the AFC West. It’s the ACC Coastal. St Thomas would go 4-4 in this league. This kid is plenty good enough to be very productive and the offense be very productive.
Cmon now...let's keep it a buck...both Ahmmon Richards and Jeff Thomas were on that 2017 team. Berrios got busy but he wasn't the best WR on that team. Ahmmon was.

Advertisement

And....that's what I get for not reading ur whole post because you're right lol

We can be plenty successful with X as a productive player and leading the team in targets. We still need an explosive playmaker or two go along with X if that's going to happen though

Mike Harley.
Coach Rumph is an animal. That man is easily one of the best human beings in the building. He was destroyed on these boards for being a poor recruiter. He was never a liar and was honest with kids and families. It hurt recruiting, but I’ll forever respect the man he is. There’s a reason him, David and a few others are still here. Mario is exactly what we all want in a head coach.

Harley probably was just joking with X bc he was just as hard a worker as anybody

Cmon now...let's keep it a buck...both Ahmmon Richards and Jeff Thomas were on that 2017 team. Berrios got busy but he wasn't the best WR on that team. Ahmmon was.
AR was terrific when he played but he missed a lot of time before getting hurt in first half of Pitt game. Berrios had a terrific season in 2017.

X is catching 60 balls if he is healthy. Book it. Need a 3rd down and medium play it is going to X. TVD has stated as much. X is going to be our Hunter Renfrow. He is a mismatch for a linebacker and if you put a nickle on him he is going to use his body and bully a corner.

Plenty teams in nfl do well without a true WR1. Patriots won super bowls utilizing all their receivers. Seems the teams that do have a legit WR1 stink

Advertisement
Back