Explanation of X’s Face

Advertisement
Two things about that kid that matter.
1) His parents are both always at practice and are the two nicest most supportive parents you’ll ever meet.
2) I’ve never seen anyone work harder in practice more consistently. As a freshman, almost every day, the juniors and seniors would tell him to “relax and not go all out all the time”. I can remember Mike literally punking him for being an *** kisser. I was ashamed of our culture when I saw it. Now we’ll reward him for his hard work, not give a C to the idiots who think it’s funny to take practice seriously. I really hope he’s a captain this coming season. Him, Stevenson, Roberts and TVD personify work ethic. Captain’s matter

Last edited:
1) His parents are both always at practice and are the two nicest most supportive parents you’ll ever meet.
2) I’ve never seen anyone work harder in practice more consistently. As a freshman, almost every day, the juniors and seniors would tell him to “relax and not go all out all the time”. I can remember Mike literally punking him for being an *** kisser. I was ashamed of our culture when I saw it. Now we’ll reward him for his hard work, not give a C to the idiots who think it’s funny to take practice seriously. I really hope he’s a captain this coming season.
Mike Harley or Rumph?

Advertisement
Mike Harley or Rumph?
Mike Harley.
Coach Rumph is an animal. That man is easily one of the best human beings in the building. He was destroyed on these boards for being a poor recruiter. He was never a liar and was honest with kids and families. It hurt recruiting, but I’ll forever respect the man he is. There’s a reason him, David and a few others are still here. Mario is exactly what we all want in a head coach.

Mike Harley.
Coach Rumph is an animal. That man is easily one of the best human beings in the building. He was destroyed on these boards for being a poor recruiter. He was never a liar and was honest with kids and families. It hurt recruiting, but I’ll forever respect the man he is. There’s a reason him, David and a few others are still here. Mario is exactly what we all want in a head coach.
I thought Harley was a hard worker?

As for Rumph, whatever it is - the bag game was on another level at some of the schools we were up against so that wasn’t going to help either.

Mike Harley.
Should not be a surprise to anyone how the culture was/has been terrible…

We had JWilliams at QB and that kid was a terrible leader and QB from everything we learned yet still started

Advertisement

As for Rumph, whatever it is - the bag game was on another level at some of the schools we were up against so that wasn’t going to help either.
Mike could be a hard worker. He wrote his goals on a mirror. That’s something right? He loved Saturday nights and his boys more than football success. We’ll see if he grows up. Last chance staring him in the face right now. Some treat each day that way. Those that do with talent make it.

Leadership matters. I don’t care if it’s sports, business,education, politics, whatever. When you have the right leadership in place it will lead to success. That’s why Mario will succeed.

We have had some competent coordinators over the years. But the head guy was never “The guy” so it didn’t matter.

2) I’ve never seen anyone work harder in practice more consistently. As a freshman, almost every day, the juniors and seniors would tell him to “relax and not go all out all the time”. I can remember Mike literally punking him for being an *** kisser. I was ashamed of our culture when I saw it. Now we’ll reward him for his hard work, not give a C to the idiots who think it’s funny to take practice seriously. I really hope he’s a captain this coming season. Him, Stevenson, Roberts and TVD personify work ethic. Captain’s matter

The more I hear of Harley’s antics while he was here the more bitter I am for him holding these WR records.

Advertisement

Harley was notoriously lazy throughout his career. Sure, he got motivated his senior year but he was mostly not that motivated during his time here. Dogged it in practice, froze out teammates, liked getting high, etc

His family was at the tailgate at unc last year. Only interacted briefly, but came away with the same impression. Very supportive and nice people. Their whole group was wearing the XR7 t shirts

I sat near Restrepo's family at the home games last year. They CARE. And not just about X playing well, but the whole team. They were talking to all the other players parents, firing them up. His mom lives and dies by how the game was going. Couldn't be happier to have that kind of passion in the program, have to imagine that's where he gets it from.

Advertisement

Harley seemed to flip a switch part way through the season last year and really buckle down. I distinctly remember this quote from him and thinking “WTF! That explains a lot”

“We were always taking the shortcut,” Harley said. “We weren’t staging after practice catching jugs. We were just doing the bare minimum. All the extra work that we have to put in after the Clemson game because that’s when we went down hill. When the receivers don’t make plays, the offense kind of struggles.”

****, lots here in this thread. To the X, God Bless him, his family and everyone that has touched his life in a positive manner. We need more X's on this team!

If the story about Harley telling X to stop kissing *** and not practice as hard is true, it's a ***king shame! What a poisonous culture that has existed for years!

I sat near Restrepo's family at the home games last year. They CARE. And not just about X playing well, but the whole team. They were talking to all the other players parents, firing them up. His mom lives and dies by how the game was going. Couldn't be happier to have that kind of passion in the program, have to imagine that's where he gets it from.
Man funny you should say that. Sat near his family myself couple years ago. West End Zone. Same thing - great group, cheering, just being awesome fans. At a really rough time for the program, and with him barely playing. Mentioned to them all the goods things I’d hear about him on the boards as far as his practice habits…which had been rumored to be awesome since Day 1.

Advertisement
Back